News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

John Morrissett's 1999 Kilspindie course profile has been updated with photographs taken by .... my daughter MacKenzie (!). Additionally, golf architect and Kilspindie member Todd Jerome and the ubiquitous Rich Goodale share their thoughts of this uncluttered 5,500 yard East Lothian gem.

Kilspindie entices, jutting into the bay, blessed with wind, sandy soil, and a routing that takes maximum advantage of the shoreline going out and an old wall coming in. Its only deficiency for me is that the ground isn't rumpled like Brora or Machrihanish. So be it but there’s plenty of broad slopes like the right to left tilt on the approach to the 15th and the front to back one at 16. These approaches demand keen judgment, rumples or not.

Some might cite Kilspindie's 5,500 yards as a shortcoming (no pun intended 8)) but the course is situated on 70 acres, so what would you expect?! I remain in ox-dumb awe of any course built that is completely out of proportion to the talent level of the 99% of those that play the game. No other sport has been so often ill-served by the prevalence of bloated, expensive playing fields that miss the mark for the overwhelming majority of participants.

At age 51 with creaky knees and a shoulder turn that some say isn't  :-[, I am far more interested in courses that measure ~6,000 yards than ~7,000 yards. The best of these still demand a healthy repertoire of shots and the fresh 'breeze' gusting past 30 mphs definitely kept all of us on our toes last month at Kilspindie.  Plus, you can finish in 2 to 3 hours, which - tragically -  is about the most time many of us can allot to the sport on a given day. Even my non-golfing, 15 year old daughter exclaimed after walking her first ever eighteen holes, 'That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!' No higher praise can be had from a teenager temporarily separated from her iPhone!

Todd shares these two pics with us from his library:

The all-universe eighth, one of the game's most thrilling (yet unheralded) one shotters.

The view from the one shot tenth sans big dunes along the shore proclaims the water's preeminence which is intensely felt throughout a round at Kilspindie.

Kilspindie is another example of the fun golf that helps Scotland attract tens of thousands of players annually. Surprisingly, the Kilspindie model, as wildly popular as it is (35,000 rounds per annum), hasn't rubbed off elsewhere. Tom D. nailed it in Volume 1 when he wrote 'Were there only more such courses where one could play in two and half hours after dinner, the game would be thriving in other lands, too.'

Alas, will we ever learn?!

Best,

Jud_T

Re: Updated Courses by Country profile on Kilspindie GC, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
Ran,

Thanks for the update (and kudos to your young photographer!).  This is exactly the kind of course those of us getting on a bit in years should be seeking out once we've sufficiently notched our belts and wallets at the big name "Championship" tracks.  Maybe we should produce one of those plaques so aging boomers can proudly display and check off the "Top 100 Sub-6500 Yard Courses" in their man caves.   8)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:14:45 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:16:06 AM »
Splendid. I can see why others posting herein have spoken highly of Kilspindie. Looks like my kind of place. The 8th looks like a crackingly good par-3. And well done to your daughter for the photographs.
atb

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
35,000 rounds and the tees so close to the previous green.
I might want to bring a hard hat.  ;D

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
I found myself looking over from Craigielaw links last August.

Will make a point to see Kilspindie next visit for sure!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »
Malcolm,

Craigielaw was a big missed opportunity and is unfortunately not a links or even links style IMO. You should make the effort to play Kilspindie as it is a great example of links golf that is great fun and playable for all standards.

Jon

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
It sounds like a great course to play with hickories.

Norbert P

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
 Ran,  thanks for the fine update.  Is it a restoration or a renovation?

It compelled me to drop in a DVD by Hidden Links productions -- Golf Guide to Scotland.   Yours and Johns is a much better report.
Nice photos by the younger Morrissett and colour by Jerome and Richard add greatly to the high standards of the Golf Club Atlas library.  
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

KBanks

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
Kilspindie is a delightful and thoroughly lovable course and club. Love the new pictures and updated profile. A reminder of what golf should be about.

Ken

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
Because Kilspendie juts out into the water i don't doubt the wind is always a factor and thus it is a fas trickier test than its lenght would indicate with many FUN little shots to try into its tiny greens.

And you have the bonus of a meal at Duck's and a fine wine list plus Aberlady has a lovely little commons looking over the Bay with a fine small church and great views back across the water east toward Gullane lit and shadowed by the setting sun. Scottish village atmosphere at its finest

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
After all the rota course have been played, discovering some of the lesser known courses is a joy and surprise.  Thanks for the tour.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 03:30:36 AM »
Ran

You have sold me...Kilspindie is on the list.  Thanks.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »
Ran

You have sold me...Kilspindie is on the list.  Thanks.

Ciao

You'll like it Sean.
You could've slipped over with us during the Ren Cup but no doubt you were dodging the "Sherman" draft that afternoon. ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »
Ran

You have sold me...Kilspindie is on the list.  Thanks.

Ciao

You'll like it Sean.
You could've slipped over with us during the Ren Cup but no doubt you were dodging the "Sherman" draft that afternoon. ;) ;D

Gen Sherman

Yes, good courses are much like good museums...it takes time to absorb the offerings.  I have never been a believer in rushing about and living in Japan for a year absolutely confirmed this belief  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back