News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point (Review and Photo Tour) New
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
Can golf courses embody the spirit of a large, diverse metropolis? In the case of New York City, Ferry Point answers with a resounding "yes." To the south, the silhouette of modern glass-and-metal skyscrapers, workplaces for the city's richest.  To the north, the detail of Communist-era red-brick low-rise housing projects (referred to as "red-brick modernism" by the New York City Housing Authority), home to the city's poorest.  To the west, a cross-marked cemetery, a smokestack-dominated power plant, and toll-booth-dotted highways leading every which way. And to the east, water, boats, and truck-heavy bridges. In the middle, on a former dump waiting for years to be defined by something, Ferry Point--a golf course funded by the city's most bombastic magnate and designed by the game's most prolific champion--somehow manages to reflect the seemingly disparate beats of the city's pulse.

I say this descriptively, not normatively. Plenty of criticism has been, can be, and will be leveled against Donald Trump and Ferry Point--I for one, shudder a bit at the symbolic value of the prominent Trump insignia and the black cast-iron gate that surrounds the property and worry that, at least in the absence of regular First Tee-like programs (which I hope, and trust, are forthcoming), the course might squander the enormous promise inherent in it. But there is no disputing that much of New York City, for better and worse, is on display here. To be sure, the clientele at a public course will always reflect the cost to play it, and, at Ferry Point, the $169 weekend rates for a walking resident (carts cost $35 per rider, yet another reason to skip them) means that your playing partners might well be members at exclusive private clubs (in the case of the twosome that joined us, Friar's Head) who have never even been to Bethpage. (With only a few longish green-to-tee distances, the course is easy to walk.) But at only twice the rate of a Bethpage, it's not too far out of reach for the true public golfer who shows up without any logo-adorned clothes at all--as the articles detailing who showed up to play the course on opening day attest. And, already, it has provided numerous job opportunities for kids who clearly have never seen, much less set foot on, a golf course. Their blissful ignorance is a welcome reminder that most golfers take themselves and the game far too seriously, and nothing that hard work can't overcome (assuming, of course, that their ignorance is worth overcoming in the first place). Growing up, my neighborhood was diverse enough to allow me to befriend many of these kids, and my job as an adult has allowed me to work on their and their families' behalf. So it was nice to see them before we teed off and heartwarming that the course's manager welcomed, and promised to relay, our compliments of their work after we finished.

But this is a site about golf-course architecture, so I'll stop there and turn to the course, which I had the pleasure of experiencing for the first time yesterday on a glorious, sun-splashed, and warm early spring afternoon. The surrounds at Ferry Point are so mesmerizing--both for their aesthetics and their symbolism--that the design didn't need to be great to make the course great. Fortunately, the design is great, so the pre-opening accolades showered on the course--our own, and Golfweek's, Brad Klein ranked it behind only Bethpage Black on the list of the state's best public tracks--now make good sense. Because the course opened only three weeks ago, I will say less than normal and let my pictures speak for themselves. What struck me most was the grandeur and scale of the place; as links or links-style courses go, the only other one that compares for me is Royal St. George's. Ferry Point is a big course, no doubt enhanced by its surroundings. But it takes great advantage of those surroundings, offering jaw-dropping views at almost every turn; far more than, to cite a nearby comparator, Liberty National. I have read reviews that criticize the course for too much sameness among the holes, but to the extent that is true--and I concede that it is, at least in part--it becomes apparent only in hindsight. While playing the course, again perhaps because of the diversity of the views, the holes feel fresh and fun (and play firm and fast, with impeccable greens). And, best of all, you want to return to play the course again as soon as you're finished. A day later, sure, I can say that the majority of the greens, as at May River, another Nicklaus signature design, are elevated above the level of the fairway (although there are enough at- or near-at-grade greens--at 3, 6, 9, 12, 16--to break what might otherwise be some monotony in the design) and that most of the long holes play straightaway (although, again, there are enough gentle doglegs (at 5, 6, 10, 15, 18) to vary the experience). But the fact is that all great courses, and links courses in particular, have design elements that repeat over and over again--not just because each individual architect has his or her own preferences, but because they all recognize that too much hole-to-hole variety leads to a disjointedness and lack of coherence that ruins the overall experience.

I have a similar response to those who say the course is too "fake." As our resident sage Peter Pallotta has helped clarify with his recent post of the year on realism, all golf courses are fake, and for good reason. Ferry Point didn't feel more fake to me than any other course I've played. Sure, it's surrounded by a city, not more greenery (although there is a park several hundred feet away on the southern side of the Whitestone Bridge/Hutchinson River Parkway). But the design--specifically, the many gum-drop humps and larger dune-like mounds--allows the course to fit as well as any could fit into that environment. A body of water does abut the property, after all, so a links-like design is what one would expect if a golf course were to be there, and, in many places, the shapes of the mounds mimic the buildings of the surrounding skyline to create an unexpected visual unity. In short, it works--and quite well, at that. Bravo, Mr. Nicklaus and especially Mr. Sanford (whom I now understand is responsible for 95% of the design and shaping of the course).

Now, enjoy the tour and go play the course at your earliest convenience. You won't be disappointed (to the extent you are, share your criticisms, as I did, with the course's manager after your round; to their credit, the staff seems genuinely intent on fixing inevitable early glitches).

Clubhouse and Practice Areas

Ferry Point takes its name from the Bronx park in which it sits, one of many at the base of bridges in the New York City area:

Together with the garish Trump insignia that guards the entrance (it is a Scottish shield, after all), the black cast-iron gate that encircles the entire property might, I fear, be offputting to some and suggest that, despite its truly public status, the course might not be for everyone; a "public welcome" addendum might help:

In classic Trump style, the makeshift clubhouse (a larger, hopefully not-too-ostentatious one will be built in the next few years) is not your ordinary trailer; the yellow-and-white theme works wonderfully, especially in the awning-covered grill area on the back, to create a seaside atmosphere:

Augmented by stellar service, the food is quite good (the "Ivanka" is one of the better Greek salads I've had):

The view from the open-air grill isn't too shabby, either (to be clear, Trump's courses do not have Rolex clocks; they have Trump clocks):

For a public course, Trump Ferry Point has some of the better practice facilities I've seen; actually, they're better than those at many private courses I've been to. No wonder Michael Breed just opened his academy here. A massive driving range (TaylorMade range balls are provided free of charge) is the main attraction, but adjacent short-game and putting areas allow the golfer to fine tune all aspects of her or his game before teeing off:

The Throgs Neck Bridge, the less-prominent of the two bridges visible from many points on the property, frames the background of the short-game practice area:

The large putting green affords wonderful views of both bridges:

The routing, and place mats, at Ferry Point:

Front Nine

The 1st, a steadily climbing and narrowing par 4, has just enough trouble off the tee--specifically, the (not pictured) highway up the left side--to demand the golfer's full attention; once in the fairway, the fairway rises at the same rate, and gives the golfer a similar feeling, as the first at Streamsong Blue:

A recent Jack Nicklaus staple--the centerline bunker--makes its first of many appearances at Ferry Point on the very first hole, although it is too far from the tee, well past left and right fairway bunkers, to serve as anything other than a visual hazard:

One of many attractive, dune-nestled green sites at Ferry Point is also found at the 1st:

The view back down the 1st hole showcases both the Whitestone (right) and Throgs Neck (left) bridges:

The second-longest green-to-tee walk (after 9 green to 10 tee) brings the golfer to the 2nd tee and the first view of the expansive, rumpled area that occupies the heart of the course:

Looking off to the right of the 2nd fairway reveals two features that dominate the landscape at Ferry Point--man-made dunes/mounds and the Whitestone Bridge:

The nestling of green sites into large dunes continues at the 2nd, a large back-right to front-left green that sits diagonally to the fairway; given the hole's length, Nicklaus properly built a large chipping area short right, where most golfers will miss:

The view left over the 2nd green features many industrial landmarks that not only scream New York City, but also recall the gritty surrounds of some of the great links of Great Britain (think the nuclear towers that, until recently, lorded over Royal St. George's):

Each of the par 3s runs in a different direction; the 3rd, the second longest, is framed beautifully by the red-brick housing projects that dominate the north-facing views at Ferry Point; note the visual mimicry between the large mounds/dunes and the buildings themselves:

The 4th, an attractive gently climbing three-shot par 5 at the northern edge of the property (though seemingly reachable on the scorecard, it plays into the prevailing wind), is defined as much by its gorgeous views of the Throgs Neck Bridge (the golfer never gets closer to it), as by its devilish perched green:

Accounting for the into-the-wind nature of the shot, the layup area on the par-5 4th is ample:

The narrowness of the 4th green is accentuated by steep falloffs all around--here, at the front:

Here, at the back:

And, finally, here, at the right:

On first playing, the direction of the 5th, one of the few doglegs at Ferry Point, is not apparent from the tee; the turn to the right comes into view two hundred yards down the fairway and reveals another attractive perched green site surrounded by gum-drop mounds:

The reverse view from behind the 5th green reveals the dogleg-right orientation of the hole; the tee is next to the snack hut in the distance on the left (currently, the snack hut is the only place to get water on the course, but the course's manager promised water jugs throughout in the very near future):

A strategic double-dogleg par 4--the tee shot plays left to right uphill, while the approach plays right to left downhill--the 6th hole affords the first direct view of the silhouetted Manhattan skyline to the south:

The aggressive line off the tee, and the one affording the better view of the green around the corner to the left, is to the right of the centerline bunker (out of bounds, and a cemetery, lines the right side of the hole):

The safe line left of the centerline bunker affords beautiful views of the Whitestone Bridge...

...but leaves this partially obscured view of the green:

The right-to-left downhill nature of the approach at 6 is evident from this reverse view from back right of the green:

An excellent short and drivable Cape hole, the 7th calls for a fade from the tee--at once helped and hindered by the prevailing left-to-right wind:

A sprawling bunker complex guards the final 20 yards of the left side of the fairway all the way to the green:

This reverse view of the 7th reveals that a long miss is actually a safe one:

The second par 3 at Ferry Point, the 8th, plays slightly downhill to the north and is surrounded on all sides by mounds and dunes, with the Throgs Neck Bridge in the distance; the setting reminded me somewhat of the glorious 13th at Barnbougle Dunes:

The setting for the 8th green becomes more appealing as the golfer walks through the depression between the tee and the green:

The most beautiful tee shot on the course, with another centerline bunker to navigate, the 9th plays downhill and slightly to the left toward the Whitestone Bridge (thank you for indulging my penchant for black-and-white pictures):

A tee shot down the right side, or even in the right rough, rewards the golfer with an open view of the green:

Conversely, a tee shot down the left side leaves an approach dotted with obstacles:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:53:53 PM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Benjamin Litman

Re: Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point (Review and Photo Tour)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
Back Nine

The back nine starts with a comfortable tee shot to a wide fairway; the reverse view toward the tee reveals the 10th's width and the full expanse of the architecturally underrated Whitestone Bridge:

The approach into the 10th is my favorite on the course; a slight turn to the left reveals not only another visually soothing dune-nestled green site, but the industrial landmarks to the west (the three-headed smoke stack, the cross standing sentinel over the cemetery) that recall some of the world's great links:

Sure, Ferry Point is "fake," but results like this greensite make you care not one bit at all:

The reverse view at the 10th reveals a peek-a-boo corridor to the 8th green on the right:

From the tee, the 11th hole affords glorious views over the course--here, to the 2nd green, across a compelling dunescape, to the left:

The 11th itself, a short par 4, plays downhill to a relatively narrow fairway dotted with bunkers; big hitters can carry the trouble by trying to drive the green (as two in the group ahead attempted), while the shorter hitters (or those waiting on slow foursomes ahead) need to thread long irons between the sand-filled mines:

After a downhill tee shot, the approach to 11 green plays slightly uphill; note another centerline bunker, although this one is closer to the left edge of the fairway:

A center bunker also guards the entrance to the green:

The grandeur of Ferry Point is evident in this reverse view back down the 11th:

One of the more visually appealing flat par 3s I've ever played, the 12th, a short par 3 playing into the wind, induces tranquility:

Given the narrowness of the green and the into-the-golfer direction of the wind, the front-right bunker is even more of a magnet for tee shots than it normally would be:

The reverse view from behind the 12th green reveals the 5th green in the distance on the right:

The downhill tee shot to another gently climbing fairway, here at the 13th, reveals the silhouetted Manhattan skyline in all its early evening glory:

Instead of a bunker, a knob serves as the centerline fairway hazard at the 13th:

A high-lipped bunker short of the putting surface plays with depth perception, as it sits well in front of the green's edge:

This view from the front right of the 13th green shows the ample room beyond the bunker--to the left of the frame--and before the green:

The reverse view from the back left of the 13th green is almost as compelling--and certainly better lit--than the forward view:

Few things in golf are better than witnessing the movement of an early evening light over humps and hollows:

Bridges, in their at once horizontal and vertical orientation, are symbolic, aspirational structures, and Ferry Point makes good use of the two it has as neighbors--here, the Whitestone Bridge rising over the 15th green, as seen from the 14th tee:

Running parallel in the opposite direction of the 13th, the 14th is another par 4 that plays downhill to a fairway lined with bunkers and mounds and uphill to a green set diagonal to the fairway; again, because 14, like 2, is a long par 4, Nicklaus wisely built a large chipping area short right of the green, although chips from there will again have to carry two small green-fronting bunkers:

Depending on how far short and right the miss is on the second shot, the golfer playing from the chipping area will have to contend with this center-front bunker (well short of the green):

Or this right-front bunker (adjacent to the green):

The aura of the uphill tee shot on the par-5 15th, starting from the northeast corner of the property and running south, took on special significance for me as I was greeted by the sounds of an ice-cream truck and children walking home for dinner on a spectacular early spring evening:

A peaceful view back over the 14th green from the right of the 15th fairway:

Upon cresting the hill on the 15th, the fairway plateaus and turns slightly to the right for the second and third shots (the former of which must contend with another centerline fairway bunker):

For a three-shot par 5, the 15th probably has too much short grass for easy recoveries around the green, but the resulting aesthetics can't be questioned:

Another inspiring view, again replete with sun-kissed knobs and mounds, back down the 15th:

The 16th plays straight downhill, but into the wind, toward the East River:

The approach to the 16th, especially for drives pushed right (predictable given the wind direction), must contend with a marsh area to the right of the fairway that extends to a bunker short right of the green:

One of the few greens that is set parallel, as opposed to perpendicular or diagonal, to the fairway, the 16th also substitutes the natural framing of the East River (behind) and the Whitestone Bridge (right) for the manufactured dunes that frame most of the other greens at Ferry Point:

The tee on the par-3 17th, which works west away from the East River, affords beautiful views of the sunset:

A medium-length par 3, the 17th plays uphill to a green framed by large bunkers, the three-headed smoke stack in the distance, and huge dunes behind and to the right (these dunes also frame the right side of the tee shot on 16, which runs parallel and in the opposite direction):

The home hole is a reachable par 5 that is relatively open off the tee:

A marsh lines the lower-left side of the fairway:

And, together with fronting bunkers and an upslope, must be carried to reach the green in two; a prudent layup to the right side of the fairway provides the more direct approach:

A view from the mounds in front of the clubhouse out over the 18th green, with the Throgs Neck (left) and Whitestone (right) bridges in the distance:

A late-afternoon round at Trump National Ferry Point, ending in the glow of dusk, is simply a must play:

-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »
Great stuff, Benjamin. Really enjoyed the read and the photos.

Course has really greened up in the two weeks since I was there.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
I feel like the artificial mounding could have been done better.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »
+6.02 x 10e23
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I'm sure if I was still a public golfer living in Manhattan that this would instantly be part of the rotation and possibly my go-to course given the other options nearby.  Anyone had the $14 Trump Hot Dog?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
Great tour Benjamin.

Maybe they could create some sort of artisan set up like in the UK. Only in this case they may be offering people from the communist buildings a discounted rate to emphasize equality of opportunity.

For the record, I've been in quite a few former communist countries and can't remember too much red brick. Although a fair bit of dull grey and buildings covered in soot due to burning of coal. Just saying though I do love the excellent descriptions you are writing!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
All, many thanks for the kind words.

Jon: I imagine that the significantly higher temperatures over the last week have contributed to the greening/growth of the course. It was 75 degrees on Saturday when I played. I'm curious to see how long it takes for the fescue to grow in, although, like you, I fear that it will slow rounds to a crawl. The fescue might well look prettier, but without it, the course has an aesthetic grit that makes it fit better with its surroundings. And not losing balls always beats the alternative.

Joe: Instead of asking for a translation, I'll just say thank you for your numbers (and also your own photo tour, which is, as always, beautifully done).

Jud: Given the price, I initially thought that Ferry Point would be one and done for me. But it's so good, and such a great experience (replete with great practice facilities that I can use for as long as I want), that I can justify playing it several times a year, even if it's not in my regular public rotation along with La Tourette, Split Rock, and Bethpage. To me, hot dogs in New York City should be purchased at (a) a hot-dog stand, (b) Gray's Papaya, or (c) Nathan's in Coney Island, all for less than $5. But if I try the Trump version next time, I'll let you know.

David: I'd be curious to hear more about the UK's artisan setup; it's a model that sounds promising based on what you wrote, but I imagine there is more to it. As for the architecture, thank you for calling me out. I appreciate, even love, architecture (my second-favorite course in college was "The Philosophy of Architecture"), and I am pretty familiar with Communist-style architecture in Europe, so I should get my facts straight. To be frank, I wanted to finish my post last night before the work week, so I didn't research that particular reference as I should have. Now that I have, I have changed the reference from "Communist-style" to "Communist-era," as the red-brick projects--publicized by the New York City Housing Authority as "red-brick modernism"--sprung up in the 1930s. I still think there is a lot of Communist inspiration evident in the buildings--as much in their function as in their form--even if the materials used are different. And FWIW, one of the principal designers of those projects was a German immigrant.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
Ben, this is another fantastic photo tour. Thank you. Your lively descriptions of the varied surroundings of the course (bridges, houses, industry, humanity, etc) are much appreciated. Those aesthetics look to be a great asset.

But I must admit that, architecturally, my first reaction to the FP photo tours is that the course looks a bit humorless and devoid of quirk. Like another brawny faux-links that missed the opportunity to import some of the fun and personality of the great links courses. Ben, am I off base? What was your feeling on the ground?

As a fellow New Yorker, I'm very thankful for the existence of an additional golf course. I've been waiting for Ferry Point for a very long time and will definitely play it somewhat regularly. But so far, I'm not seeing anything that's as interesting as the wild and never-boring greens at Marine Park (my home NYC course and the closest in style to FP).
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
Thx..nice pix.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »
For a public course, Trump Ferry Point has some of the better practice facilities I've seen; actually, they're better than those at many private courses I've been to. No wonder Michael Breed just opened his academy here.

Here's hoping the highway noise drowns out Breed's prepubescent shrieking.

It does look like a cool place.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
Jason: I actually didn't hear the highway much at all during the round, although admittedly that might have something to do with being a native New Yorker. Go easy on Breed; sure, he shrieks at times on his show, but you have to admit that he dispenses an incredible amount of sage advice in a short period of time and with great articulation. Without the glow of the camera, I imagine he's great--and shriekless--in one-on-one settings.

Mark: Many thanks for the kind words; glad you enjoyed the tour. I need to go back and replay Marine Park; the first time, I was a single surrounded by foursomes, so my round was spent playing through group after group and carefully removing glass shards from the bunkers to play my ball.

As for the architecture of Ferry Point, a question: Can a course's architecture ever truly be separated from--i.e., evaluated independently of--its aesthetics? To me, the answer is no, which is why Ferry Point is great. With that in mind, I'll try my best to answer your question. In college, I played on the baseball team my freshman year. Unfortunately, the coach, a former major-league pitcher, was so intent on getting his players drafted into the professional ranks that he forgot he was coaching college baseball. Players were, in fact, drafted, but our team set the worst record in school history; we played a professional game that we simply were not suited for. A similar, though less-harsh, criticism can be applied to Ferry Point. I take Trump seriously when he says he built Ferry Point with professional tournaments in mind. After all, many of his courses have already landed professional tournaments. That self-imposed mandate is probably why the course lacks the quirk and personality that we here on GCA love so dearly--but that the pros, for the most part, do not. Remember that the pros hate Royal St. George's--one of the great links of the world, as Sean's superb winter tour brilliantly demonstrates--for its "quirkiness" (read: lack of predictability), but love Muirfield for its (relative) lack of quirk and "straightforward," "it's all in front of you" design. Given how much the pros love straightforward, no-hidden-elephant designs--think Medinah and Firestone--part of me wonders how highly they would rate Augusta National if they didn't have to play it every year. Would we hear more Stacy Lewis-type criticisms (recall her comments about Royal Melbourne)? As Geoff Ogilvy has been quoted as saying, many of the holes at Augusta National, if built today, would be laughed at.

The question then becomes whether a course built with professionals in mind works as a municipal course for the larger public. If it were a new-age resort course at, say, Bandon or Streamsong, the answer would be no--but that's because the people who play there, by and large, represent a more golf-savvy (and golf-course-architecture-savvy) segment of the "larger public." But it's not a new-age resort course; it's a high-end municipal course in the heart of a sprawling metropolis with a diverse clientele. As such, I think it works well, as (relatively) quirkless designs allow more people of all levels to enjoy themselves.

With all that said, Ferry Point does have its share of quirk, charm, and personality--just perhaps not in the doses we here on GCA would prefer. The green surrounds provide plenty of interest and opportunity for shotmaking, even if the greens themselves are relatively uninteresting. As noted in my review, there are enough dogleg or slight-dogleg long holes (including a double-dogleg par 4 at the 6th) to add variety to the tee game. Although not awash in great individual holes, the course coheres quite well and has ample variety, with long par 4s and drivable ones (including the Cape Hole at the 7th), reachable and three-shot par 5s, and long and short par 3s running in different directions. And, who knows, maybe in many years' time, centerline bunkers--of which there are plenty--will be deemed "quirky." In the end, the course does a great job accommodating as many interests as possible, and, again, in light of the jaw-dropping, and frankly, unusual nature of the aesthetics--which are with you on every hole and for every shot--the last thing you'll be thinking on walking off the 18th green is that you wish there had been more quirk in the design. Ferry Point, in its own way, has personality in spades.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:49:43 AM by Benjamin Litman »

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
It appears as though the range utilizes the new, modern "mats" rather than allowing one to hit off the grass.  Will this always be the case?  Seems a bit disappointing for a facility that charges $50 to use their range and short game area.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »
Steve: I, too, was disappointed that the mats were in use the day I was there, but I was told that is not the norm. Indeed, most grass ranges have mat-only days, including at Harbour Town, FWIW. I was unaware of the $50 fee, which I assume is standalone. If you play the course, it's free of charge.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Thanks for the well thought out reply, Ben. All very good points.

As far as Marine Park, they've been doing a wonderful job rehabbing the course and each year it gets better and better. The greens were already in the best shape of any public course in the area and they are trying to catch the rest of the course up. It has many features that we rave about here on GCA. The driving areas are large and the greens are immensely challenging, requiring very smart approaches. You can play on the ground or in the air. It suffers from dullness and a lack of variety off the tee, but they have begun implementing things to help rectify that a little. Too many of the greens are pushed up, but they always have a generous opening and once on, there's never a dull moment. From a macro view, it definitely adheres to the principle that each shot get progressively more challenging from tee to green.

It still has a ways to go but I'm thankful that I have the option so close to my home (even if it takes 30 harrowing mins to drive the 5 miles down Flatbush).

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
Correct.  If you pay $250 then the use of the range is "free."  Kind of like if you pay $14 for a hot dog, the bun is free.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the details on Marine Park, Mark; perhaps I'll join you one day. If I recall correctly, it held a qualifying event for the MGA Public Links recently, so I trust you that it's better than I recall (although, to be fair, my memory is more about the experience than the course).

Steve: I now see the $50 "non-round practice facility fee" on the website. But that's not as expensive as it seems. The two standalone (i.e., non-course) ranges I've been to in the city--Randall's Island and Chelsea Piers--are comparable, with a few built-in assumptions. At Randall's, my preferred range (even if it's much farther from home), a large bucket of balls (110 balls) costs $14. If you want to hit off grass tees (they apparently have a few now), that's an additional $14. At Chelsea Piers, $50 gets you 318 balls during off-peak hours and 193 during peak hours. At neither Randall's nor Chelsea can you practice your putting on a grass putting green (both have synthetic putting greens instead). At neither Randall's nor Chelsea can you practice your short game on actual turf and from actual bunkers. And at neither Randall's nor Chelsea can you hit unlimited balls, at no additional charge, once you gain access. My biggest problem with the $50 standalone practice fee at Ferry Point is that it will discourage locals from using the facility, but, again hopefully through First Tee-like programs, that issue can be mitigated. Otherwise, it's not a bad deal at all when you consider what you get.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
Oh, interesting. Ben, you're saying that the $50 gets you unlimited balls and not just the access to then pay for balls?

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
I honestly don't know the answer, Mark, but there is no ball dispenser. Balls are just provided on the range (in nicely arranged pyramids, with huge buckets of extras sitting nearby) and at the short-game and putting areas. So, unless someone is there monitoring who is and isn't a round player, I can't see how it's not unlimited.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
Benjamin, really enjoyed the pictures and all you had to say about the course.

The price to play speaks for itself.  Plus, hot dogs at $14 and hamburgers $17, this is a public course in name only, but they certainly have the right to charge whatever they want.  The course looks very wide and forgiving, the type of place that players of all abilities can enjoy.

Thanks for sharing, the architecture and imagination that went into this club given the setting is truly amazing!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
My understanding is that Trump has the concession to operate the course. But, yet the name sounds like he owns it. How did the name "Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point" come about?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »
GJ: I did some digging online and found this: "Then it went through a 12-year delay and millions in cost overruns, and only got completed because of the financial involvement of Donald Trump, who got naming rights for the course for 20 years as a result." So it won't always be called Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point--unless, of course, he manages to renegotiate.

Eric: Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the course's width, you are right that it is plenty wide off the tee (though not Streamsong-wide), although if/when they grow the fescue, playability (and pace of play) will decline a bit.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
thanks Benjamin
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Grant Saunders

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
I will preface my comments by stating that I am judging this course solely on the above photos:

How is this course any less manipulated or clearly manufactured than the desert courses?

I find it stylistically jarring and bordering on offensive in the way it has been imposed into its surroundings that have absolutely zero relevance to the course in terms of its environment.

Why was the unique setting and location not used in the design and aesthetics and embrace an opportunity to create something that feels native to that area as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon and cranking out a lumpy bumpy fake links. It may be a good golf course but also appears to be a fine example of how to take an idea completely out of context.

The tide has turned and naturalism and minimalism are now seized upon as a style rather than the philosophy.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »
It is difficult to determine course quality from photo tours but this course looks much more interesting than I expected.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back