News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Painswick accomadation
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
I'll be taking the wife back to her homeland for some golf in the Liverpool area. She was raised in the village of Freckleton, just a stones throw from Royal Lytham. Luckily we were able to book their Dormie House for the last 3 days before they close for the Walker Cup! We will be stopping in Painswick as a half way point from Heathrow and was wondering if anyone can remember the place where we had supper on Sat of the Buda Cup? I remember having a fine meal in a pub in the village center and thought some of our participants s were staying there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bill_McBride

Re: Painswick accomadation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »
I'll be taking the wife back to her homeland for some golf in the Liverpool area. She was raised in the village of Freckleton, just a stones throw from Royal Lytham. Luckily we were able to book their Dormie House for the last 3 days before they close for the Walker Cup! We will be stopping in Painswick as a half way point from Heathrow and was wondering if anyone can remember the place where we had supper on Sat of the Buda Cup? I remember having a fine meal in a pub in the village center and thought some of our participants s were staying there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have stayed there and found it very pleasant if very basic.  My wife and I stayed there ten years ago, she liked it.  The Falcon Inn.  We had a good traditional dinner one night and a very nice Thai dinner the next before heading off to Leeds. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
Bill,

We looked at the Falcon Inn online and it seems the best choice for B&B in Painswick. The pub we had our evening meal at after the Buda was a stone building with two stories; I thought there it might have been accommodation upstairs. Checking online it may have been the Royal Oak.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Painswick is not my idea of a half way point between Heathrow and Lytham!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »
Pete,
Back in 2010, I stayed at Tibbiwell Lodge.  Very nice people and even had parking space outside, which was quite handy in Painswick.  Great views out of the room, too.  Would definitely recommend it.
http://tibbiwelllodgepainswick.webs.com/

Steve Wilson

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
St. Anne's is a very nice B & B in downtown Painswick.  Not necessarily much of a view or handy parking, but very cool nonetheless.  I stopped there to play Painswick on the way to BUDA 2014.  It turns out I had missed Disher and Whitaker by one day as they were also moving towards Cornwall.

High recommended and an easy walk to anything in Painswick.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
I'm planning on playing Painswick about 9.30 on Sunday 3rd May if anyone would care to join me.

Cost is £20 and apparently the Club has an informal agreement with walkers that all play finshes by 2pm on Sundays.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »
Bill,

We looked at the Falcon Inn online and it seems the best choice for B&B in Painswick. The pub we had our evening meal at after the Buda was a stone building with two stories; I thought there it might have been accommodation upstairs. Checking online it may have been the Royal Oak.

Just looked at an exterior photo of the Falcon on hotels.com, pretty sure that's where we stayed in both 2004 (at Buda with my brother) and 2005 (with Kathleen).  Have had two nice dinners there, one with a fairly large group during Buda.  That golden Cotswold stone is beautiful.  All the historic buildings in Bath are made of the same stone, sledged down from Cotswold quarries. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back