News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Let's Talk About Streamsong!
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
I know there has been a lot of conversation about the fifth on the Blue course, but let's use this thread to discuss your favorite holes on the Red, as well as the agronomy (the turf looks pretty green on the website), the Lido, possible candidates to design the fourth course, the weather and the overall resort.  

I have yet to visit SS and I hope this thread can serve as a guide for potential players to plan their experience at this beloved resort.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:33:01 PM by Mark Pritchett »

Benjamin Litman

Re: Let's Talk About Stremsong!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
Here are my reviews/photo tours of both courses, with general comments about the resort/lodge, too:

Streamsong Red: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60262.0.html
Streamsong Blue: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60276.0.html

And here are several of the reviews that I relied on heavily in preparing for my trip to Streamsong in late December (which, in my opinion, is the best time to go there, both for weather and for cost):

Streamsong Red (courtesy Joe Bausch): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54588.0.html
Streamsong Blue (courtesy Bryan Izatt): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54707.0.html
Streamsong Blue (courtesy Mark Saltzman): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54404.0.html
Streamsong Red and Blue (courtesy Frank Sullivan): http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54393.0.html

Other interesting threads:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59312.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54645.0.html
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
be sure to take a dip in the pool
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
Ben- great photos as always.  I appreciate the links and did not realize there were so many!  I'll try and read through them. 

To me it is a good sign when people I have talked to are split among which course is their favorite.  Some prefer Blue (esp. No. 5) while many prefer Red. 

How do the SS courses compare to Kiawah Ocean?  Not just in design but alos in turf quality. 

Thanks!

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »
Kiawah Ocean is great, if you don't mind walking.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »
I love the center-line bunker design of the 11th hole. If you play safe and left, you leve yourself with a difficult uphil approach and probably need to turn the ball left to right, and avoid the front-left greenside bunker. Taking your tee shot right of the bunker will leave you the best look at the green, but my landing area is the upslope right of the centerline bunker, and I bring the bunker left and fescue right into play. The tee shot asks such a great question!

William_G

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
love Kiawah Ocean, great bloodys

I'll go back to SS after the Black is open

I would take my family to Kiawah
It's all about the golf!

Matt Albanese

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
Just got back from my much anticipated trip to Streamsong. I stayed two nights in the hotel and played golf three days. The golf courses are outstanding with tremendous architectural interest. However, the overall experience at the resort was not great. It seems that the resort has an identity crisis as the golf courses are full and the hotel is mostly empty. It is billed as a luxury resort and delivers in price, but does not deliver in service or atmosphere and lacks the charm of Bandon Dunes. For example, despite the fact that the hotel was mostly empty, we were unable to be accommodated for dinner after playing either of the two nights. There is little incentive to stay in the very nice hotel when the tee sheets are filled with outside play. I am eagerly planning more trips to Bandon but cannot say the same for Streamsong.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:44:04 PM by Matt Albanese »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
Carl Yastrzemsong?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
Strem Cell Research
Pastremi on Rye
Strem of Consciousness
Row, Row, Row Your Boat, Gently Down the Strem
Live Streming Video
Strem Chemicals
Strem, Austria
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
Just got back from my much anticipated trip to Streamsong. I stayed two nights in the hotel and played golf three days. The golf courses are outstanding with tremendous architectural interest. However, the overall experience at the resort was not great. It seems that the resort has an identity crisis as the golf courses are full and the hotel is mostly empty. It is billed as a luxury resort and delivers in price, but does not deliver in service or atmosphere and lacks the charm of Bandon Dunes. For example, despite the fact that the hotel was mostly empty, we were unable to be accommodated for dinner after playing either of the two nights. There is little incentive to stay in the very nice hotel when the tee sheets are filled with outside play. I am eagerly planning more trips to Bandon but cannot say the same for Streamsong.

How could they not serve you dinner?

Kind've had the same feeling about the place
Probably more of a reflection upon me but I preferred staying in the Holiday Inn at Brooksville and playing World Woods, despite my appreciation for Steamsong's superior courses.
 No problem getting a bite to eat and a drink in Bville and quite enjoyed the bowling alley!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
Strem Cell Research
Pastremi on Rye
Strem of Consciousness
Row, Row, Row Your Boat, Gently Down the Strem
Live Streming Video
Strem Chemicals
Strem, Austria

Thanks.   I corrected the subject title.  Funny, I might actually want to visit Stremsong. 

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »

Probably more of a reflection upon me but I preferred staying in the Holiday Inn at Brooksville and playing World Woods, despite my appreciation for Steamsong's superior courses.
 No problem getting a bite to eat and a drink in Bville and quite enjoyed the bowling alley!

Jeff,

I find bowling alleys to be some of the best places to hang out when in Florida...  great food too...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

Jeff,

I find bowling alleys to be some of the best places to hang out when in Florida...  great food too...

Our bowling alley in Pensacola has live blues on Monday.  I like to have a White Russian when that's going on, in honor of the Dude. 

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

Our bowling alley in Pensacola has live blues on Monday.  I like to have a White Russian when that's going on, in honor of the Dude. 

Now that's a quality evening-  Bowling, Blues & Beverage
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

Re: Let's Talk About Streamsong!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 10:25:41 PM »
I'm hosting the Sixth Major there once the Black opens.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 10:42:24 PM »
love Kiawah Ocean, great bloodys

I'll go back to SS after the Black is open

I would take my family to Kiawah

In what months ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
Just got back from my much anticipated trip to Streamsong. I stayed two nights in the hotel and played golf three days. The golf courses are outstanding with tremendous architectural interest. However, the overall experience at the resort was not great. It seems that the resort has an identity crisis as the golf courses are full and the hotel is mostly empty. It is billed as a luxury resort and delivers in price, but does not deliver in service or atmosphere and lacks the charm of Bandon Dunes.

For example, despite the fact that the hotel was mostly empty, we were unable to be accommodated for dinner after playing either of the two nights.

Matt,

I'm surprised, All you have to do is dial the dining reservations extension and make your reservations.

We were a party of 8 and had no problems

There is little incentive to stay in the very nice hotel when the tee sheets are filled with outside play.

Tough to beat the stay and play rates and priority tee times when you stay at the hotel.

But, you bring up another interesting point.

The tee sheets are filled.

What does that tell you about a remote golf course ?

I am eagerly planning more trips to Bandon but cannot say the same for Streamsong.

William_G

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

For example, despite the fact that the hotel was mostly empty, we were unable to be accommodated for dinner after playing either of the two nights.

Matt,

I'm surprised, All you have to do is dial the dining reservations extension and make your reservations.

AND SAY YOU ARE PAT MUCCI

There is little incentive to stay in the very nice hotel when the tee sheets are filled with outside play.

Tough to beat the stay and play rates and priority tee times when you stay at the hotel.

Absurd to claim that SS is remote given the millions of folks is relatively close proximity from FL and the rest of the East, how many people could drive there in 3 hours?...SS will succeed despite Pat's hundred threads about the facility, LOL

But once you are there, SS does feel remote. :)
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 11:20:12 PM »

Now that's a quality evening-  Bowling, Blues & Beverage

I don't bowl but otherwise it's high quality!

Matt Albanese

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
Just got back from my much anticipated trip to Streamsong. I stayed two nights in the hotel and played golf three days. The golf courses are outstanding with tremendous architectural interest. However, the overall experience at the resort was not great. It seems that the resort has an identity crisis as the golf courses are full and the hotel is mostly empty. It is billed as a luxury resort and delivers in price, but does not deliver in service or atmosphere and lacks the charm of Bandon Dunes.

Matt,

We were a party of 8 and had no problems

I am eagerly planning more trips to Bandon but cannot say the same for Streamsong.

Pat,

Perhaps my experience was atypical. But allow me to expand a bit. When we tried to make dinner reservations the first night, we were told that no tables were available at Fifty-Nine for either night. We could sit in the bar and order from the full menu; but I didn't really feel like ordering $60 steaks from the bar. Similar story for P2O5. No reservations available until after 9 PM either night. Which was a bit late for us after a full day of golf. The first night, we sat in the bar at P2O5. But there were no servers available to help us. After a long wait, the hostess kindly took our order and did her best. The second night, we went to Fragmentary Blue and ate lightly. Hardly dinner though. Sottoterra was closed both nights as it was Sunday / Monday. It left a sour taste that we could play golf all day and not be able to comfortably eat dinner as resort guests. Especially considering how empty the hotel seemed. How will they accommodate their guests when the hotel is full? And given its location, there are essentially no offsite dining options that are convenient.

We did exercise the stay and play package option. The savings were modest at best. Perhaps because the rates had recently dropped for golf. Furthermore, we did not seem to have preferred tee times as our times were late in the day each of the first two days. In fact, we were the last group on Sunday. I'm glad that the golf courses are full with business. They are certainly worth the trip. But if it is truly to be a destination resort, I think they should cater more strongly to the guests who have traveled long distances and are staying on the resort. Instead, it seemed that much of the play was from commuters. To be clear, I enjoyed the golf tremendously. I just wanted to offer an alternative viewpoint on the resort experience.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
Matt: Thanks for the details. Although we didn't have the same capacity problems when we were at Streamsong in late December, I will say that, even once you get seated at the restaurants, the experience and food are both quite poor (and, as you note, the prices are wildly high, although that's to be expected when the restaurants are well aware that guests have no other options). SottoTerra is legitimately very good, but, as you note, it's closed most of the time. That leaves P205 and Fifty-Nine, which serve similar, not-very-good food. I also was shocked that the lodge doesn't use the Leaf Lounge in the lobby to serve breakfast (and preferably a buffet breakfast at that). P205 is windowless, dark, and gloomy, a not particularly uplifting way to start the day, especially when open, bright, airy options are 20 feet away. Having a relaxed-atmosphere restaurant there would also make the lodge come alive.

Right now, the lodge--which I love architecturally--is best for the rooms (though they are probably too big for the purpose; we never used the second TV/sofa area) and the pool. The walking trail and tennis courts are nice, too. But the food has a long, long way to go.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
The more I read the more I appreciate Kiawah.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »

The beach at Kiawah is far better.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »

The beach at Kiawah is far better.

Apparently so is the golf, lodging, food, accommodations and service.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back