News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: Was AGNC Too Green?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
Some serious morons posting on Shakleford's blog....

I rarely go on Geoff's site, and having been there today (following Craig, whom I respect) ,  I will probably never go on it for a very long time.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Matthew Sander

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
As a group (golfers that is), it would be beneficial if we all were struck with absolute color blindness.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
As a group (golfers that is), it would be beneficial if we all were struck with absolute color blindness.

Really?

You and I have very different views of plants and nature and golf, I think.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matthew Sander

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
A.G.,

Based on your earlier posts I very much agree with you. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek.

My only point is that as a group, I think golfers focus far too much on the color of the playing surfaces. I've seen very green courses that played plenty firm. I've played courses tinged in brown that have been soggy. Color can be an indicator, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Augsta did seem a tad softer than usual, but that doesn't bother me. As you mentioned, a damp winter and spring will have that effect. Even if the short term leading up to the event was relatively dry, the longer term soil conditions play an equally important role. There have certainly been Masters in the not too distant past that were very firm, Z. Johnson's win comes to mind. I don 't recall the color of the grass, but that's not really important.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
I'm actually surprised that ANGC played as firm as it did, given what has been going on here in GA (and most of the SE, I suppose) over the past few weeks.  The number of soaking rains have been extraordinary.  That they played 4 days with no rainfall has to be the only 4 day stretch like that in the last couple of months.

If they had played this weekend, it would have REALLY been soft.  We had rain every day this week since last Sunday; the Champions Tour event at Sugarloaf had to come off the course Friday and may not be able to play at all today.  Yesterday at the end of my round at my home course, which drains very well btw, I actually went to the cart barn and hosed off my shoes before I went to the car; I've NEVER had to do that in all my years of walking golf courses.

As to the "too green" issue, I wish I could post pictures of my yard.  My fescue (along with the weeds...) almost look artificial; they are that green!  And I've used one bag of fertilizer since last October.  Even the bermuda has greened up a full month or so before it did last year.

It's a little hard to imagine what this spring in GA has been like if you haven't been here to see it.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

astavrides

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »

Rye grass ain't like the artificial turf on the Boise State football field; it only comes in one color. 

Not being a college football fan, I had to google that, which led me to this, which I kind of like.
http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/16/sporting-colors-10-crazy-colorful-football-fields/

Craig Sweet

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
I think they painted EVERYTHING.....and from what I hear the azaleas, rhodies, and dogwoods are CGI....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »

Rye grass ain't like the artificial turf on the Boise State football field; it only comes in one color. 

Not being a college football fan, I had to google that, which led me to this, which I kind of like.
http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/16/sporting-colors-10-crazy-colorful-football-fields/

Astravides,
When Boise State wears their all-blue home uniforms in the exact shade of the turf, their opponents do NOT like it!  There have even been complaints to the NCAA about it, I believe.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Actually, it's not so much a "live action" problem as it breaking down what they're doing for scouting reports and presentations.  It's much harder to process the video.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 10:25:37 AM »
Actually, it's not so much a "live action" problem as it breaking down what they're doing for scouting reports and presentations.  It's much harder to process the video.

Agreed, but it was enough of a live action problem that there was at one point a ban on Boise State wearing all blue for conference games.  The ban was removed when Boise threatened to leave the Mountain West Conference.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »

Astravides,

When Boise State wears their all-blue home uniforms in the exact shade of the turf, their opponents do NOT like it! 

There have even been complaints to the NCAA about it, I believe.

A.G.,

We're there as many complaints about the field as there were about the University of Texas jerseys being the same color as the football ?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »

Astravides,

When Boise State wears their all-blue home uniforms in the exact shade of the turf, their opponents do NOT like it! 

A.G.,

We're there as many complaints about the field as there were about the University of Texas jerseys being the same color as the football ?

Given the difference in the conferences, I would assume there would be more complaints about Texas.  Complaints also likely vary in direct proportion to the success of the person/team being complained about.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:56 AM »
Regarding "green", growth etc - I could barely recognise the left side of the 18th green complex at Harbor Town this week. Has there been lots of planting there in the last few years? Very different to when Brian Davis played the recovery shot from beside the green and called the penalty on himself during 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUs-_Vakp0

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »

Astravides,

A.G.,

Given the difference in the conferences, I would assume there would be more complaints about Texas.  Complaints also likely vary in direct proportion to the success of the person/team being complained about.

A.G.

I think the complaint about the Univ of Texas using jerseys that are the same color as the football are legitimate.

It's a deliberate attempt to deceive their opponents.

It may be legal, but it's unethical and not in keeping with the spirit of "sportsmanship"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Astravides,

A.G.,

A.G.

I think the complaint about the Univ of Texas using jerseys that are the same color as the football are legitimate.

It's a deliberate attempt to deceive their opponents.

It may be legal, but it's unethical and not in keeping with the spirit of "sportsmanship"

Uniform contrast does matter.  In HS basketball, a number of states have recently made ANY color other than white for home uniforms illegal.  So greys, silver, gold, etc. don't work anymore; these could offer less contrast to the visitors' dark uniforms for the officials and make the game harder to call.  It has long been a national federation rule that undershirts had to be the same color as the main body of the uniforms.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back