News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Augusta National is way too easy...
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
I get that this is all a big joke to you people, but...Your greens will never be as fast as Augusta's.  Your greens will never be as firm as Augusta's. As their greens get softer and slower so will yours. Have a great time and enjoy those lower scores.

Just curious whether you are familiar with the concepts of rain and humidity, and the impact each tends to have on soil conditions? Just curious.

Indubitably. Rain and humidity were not a factor. Soft is the new skinny.

Respectfully disagree that rain and humidity were not a factor. It rained overnight throughout the week. Humidity was up too.

I suppose you blame Mike Clayton?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »
I get that this is all a big joke to you people, but...Your greens will never be as fast as Augusta's.  Your greens will never be as firm as Augusta's. As their greens get softer and slower so will yours. Have a great time and enjoy those lower scores.

Just curious whether you are familiar with the concepts of rain and humidity, and the impact each tends to have on soil conditions? Just curious.

What rain?  Those greens were set up soft.  Somewhat disappointing, really.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BCowan

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
I get that this is all a big joke to you people, but...Your greens will never be as fast as Augusta's.  Your greens will never be as firm as Augusta's. As their greens get softer and slower so will yours. Have a great time and enjoy those lower scores.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDNL/2015/04/12/MonthlyCalendar.html?locid=USGA0032&MR=1

Brian,

Do you consider .28 inches of rain on Tues significant in altering firmness?  Also March it seems shows the rainfall to be below average and somewhat dry.  http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/augusta/georgia/united-states/usga0032/2015/3

Do to many of the greens not getting enough sunlight imo, would anyone like to see hybrid bermuda greens at Augusta?  Obviously we have no control over this.  Hybrid Bermuda would be much firmer even if .28 inches of rain falls on Tues of the tourney, which is nothing imo.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:32:40 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BHoover

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »

What rain?  Those greens were set up soft.  Somewhat disappointing, really.

Did it not rain periodically during the week? Was there not overnight rain?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
.28 on Tuesday night...that's nothing.  Nothing leading up either.  The greens were set up soft...had nothing to do with Mother Nature.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BCowan

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 07:35:52 PM »
Greg,

I agree completely. 

BHoover

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
.28 on Tuesday night...that's nothing.  Nothing leading up either.  The greens were set up soft...had nothing to do with Mother Nature.

Okay, fine. I don't feel like banging my head against a brick wall. But if you do, may I suggest writing a letter to ANGC and request firmer conditions, tree removal, and/or bermuda playing surfaces.

Please let us know how that goes...

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
The greens were exactly the way the powers that be at ANGC wanted them. Woods commented after the second round that if they wanted to speed up/firm up the greens all they had to do was flip on the SubAir.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
It was the Anti-Pinehurst Open.

archie_struthers

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
 ???

I just don't get where some of you guys are coming from . You bemoan the changes to Augusta and the lengths the club has ,gone to to,make it harder. You moan about the rough that used to be non existent . You cry about the added trees.  No doubt snicker about the white sand and lack of raggedy edges on the bunkers

But, as soon as someone shoots a low,score , lets get to Shinnecock us open conditions , where the course is near death and no one can two putt.  I'm a lover of firm and fast , but it isn't always the way it is going to be , particularly at Augusta. Lets embrace the good play , applaud a great young champion , and enjoy a couple of low scores.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »

Okay, fine. I don't feel like banging my head against a brick wall. But if you do, may I suggest writing a letter to ANGC and request firmer conditions, tree removal, and/or bermuda playing surfaces.

Your argument for the greens being soft was because it rained every night.  It didn't.  The greens were soft because that's how they set them up.  It's kind of disappointing.  Four guys shot scores that would have won 70 of the previous 78 contests...that's not a coincidence.

BHoover

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »
.28 on Tuesday night...that's nothing.  Nothing leading up either.  The greens were set up soft...had nothing to do with Mother Nature.

Your argument for the greens being soft was because it rained every night.  It didn't.  The greens were soft because that's how they set them up.  It's kind of disappointing.  Four guys shot scores that would have won 70 of the previous 78 contests...that's not a coincidence.

Nowhere did I suggest it rained every night. I said there were overnight rains and humidity. Perhaps I'm wrong (I don't track weather patterns as a personal hobby), it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong. But please read my posts correctly. Language matters.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
Right, I guess raining overnight throughout the week and raining every night are two different things.  My bad.  Doesn't change the fact that it didn't rain overnight throughout the week, and that the course was manipulated to be set up on the soft side.  So getting back to the OP, they don't need to do anything to the course to make it harder...other than to allow the course to play fast and firm.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »

And thankfully so. This was a fun Masters with a handful of greats participating in a nice way until halfway thru Sunday. The ping-pong Open at Pinehurst was likely a preview of the random rollout Open at Chambers. The glorification of quirk, the humbling of great players and the inane defense of par seldom entertains. Sometimes, not most times.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brent Hutto

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »
Royal Burkdale or Muirfield playing this soft would probably be like watching paint dry. A lot of links courses need firm greens and a breeze to produce compellin, dramatic golf. ANGC is a great enough course to bring it even when borderline too soft.

BHoover

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
Right, I guess raining overnight throughout the week and raining every night are two different things.  My bad.  Doesn't change the fact that it didn't rain overnight throughout the week, and that the course was manipulated to be set up on the soft side.  So getting back to the OP, they don't need to do anything to the course to make it harder...other than to allow the course to play fast and firm.

Okay, then you win. I stand corrected on the degree and frequency of rain (as I admitted, I didn't keep detailed meteorological records). Regardless, I thought it made for good entertainment, which is probably the point of holding the tournament.

Please do keep us posted on your efforts to change the course setup. I wish you all success

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »

And thankfully so. This was a fun Masters with a handful of greats participating in a nice way until halfway thru Sunday. The ping-pong Open at Pinehurst was likely a preview of the random rollout Open at Chambers. The glorification of quirk, the humbling of great players and the inane defense of par seldom entertains. Sometimes, not most times.

It's the difference between watching Braveheart or a Royal Wedding.

George Pazin

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »
"On pace to smash a record" is a meaningless concept in golf.

Would like to see it firmer, not losing sleep over how this year's event went.

Well played, young Jordan.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

danielfaleman

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
This is not about "humbling great players". It's about the course giving a true test of itself in tournament conditions. "Making golf easier" is the mantra of the day at clubs and munis-- I assume in order to stem the losses of participation. It was too comical of an effort at ANGC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:15:46 PM by danielfaleman »

JESII

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:23 PM »
You know it's really interesting...as low as the scores were, did any of the shots "look" easy?

Not to me...

Wonder if it's true that the world would end if someone shot 20 under in a major...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »
You know it's really interesting...as low as the scores were, did any of the shots "look" easy?

Not to me...

Wonder if it's true that the world would end if someone shot 20 under in a major...

The pitches to 11 looked easier than they should be from Tiger's on Thursday to Jordan's on Sunday. I can't recall a classic bump and run all week. Floppity doodle floppity day.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 01:26:21 AM »
This year's Masters was fun. It was entertaining. The best players of the day were atop the leader board. The best player of the week, and the last month, was most certainly identified.

Nothing to complain about. Much to marvel about, especially the steady play of the winner.

The course played over par three days and under par on Sunday. The four-day average was 72.5362. The all-time low was 71.907 in 1992. The average for the first 78 Masters was 74.17.

Can't wait for next year!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:22 AM »
Brian Hoover,

Thank you:)

I'm not sure how people can comment on the firmness and speed of the greens at Royal Melbourne without seeing them the week of the Women's Open - or whether they were just a little over the top for that particular field and event.

Paul Gray

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »

Wow! The very fundamental nature of golf in its purest and original form is dismissed in its entirety as the glorification of quirk. I must remember that's what I'm doing on my home links this afternoon. Wow.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Craig Sweet

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2015, 09:43:55 AM »
"The very fundamental nature of golf in its purest and original form"

Wow...so it ain't golf if it ain't firm and fast and compliments the "ground game"?  I guess the Masters would approach this "ideal" if the players used hickory clubs and gutta balls...but then that would be "quirky".
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back