News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John McCarthy

Re: Augusta National is way too easy...
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »
One thought:  I think I read in this dg that subair is working in most landing zones.  And iirc, subair can taketh moisture, or add it.  

What if they firmed the greens and soaked the landing zones, specifically on 13 and 15?  No roll out, maybe some lay up and wedges?

Would that be fair?  

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
John,

Do you find the Masters more interesting and fun to watch on a year when the course is soggy and balls are plugging instead of rolling in the fairway? If not, why on earth would you want to see moisture ADDED to the fairways. Augusta is all about using the slopes to run the ball where you want it to go.

The resentment that is consistently shown on this forum toward low scores or short approach shots from fit, strong, technically proficient elite players is a source of amazement to me. Not to say amusement! Nobody watches a tournament at Augusta National to see people laying up on Par 5's or to see high scores. Or to see Par 5's relabeled as Par 4's just to move the zero point on the scoring scale...we have a US Open and a PGA Championship every year for that.

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »
Martin Kaymer was -9, which was exceptional golf.  Resistance to scoring has nothing to do with it.  Soft greens for Majors are awful.  Would think people on this site would get that.    US Open has high rough typically, so that analogy doesn't work.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
This thead exposes the push toward softer greens. Now with ANGC on board it may be impossible to put the pea back in the pod.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60629.0.html

BHoover

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
If only there was some way to stop rain from falling...perhaps a dome?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:55:16 PM by Brian Hoover »

Ken Moum

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
If only there was some way to stop rain from falling...perhaps a dome?

Well, they do have the money if they want to do it.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Philip Hensley

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
Simply making the greens faster won't do much when Kevin Na is stopping a hybrid 5 feet from where it landed on 13.

Would love to see rock-hard Bermuda greens at Augusta.

archie_struthers

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
 ???

Nothing is easier for architects than making a golf clurse really hard . All of us could do it ! Why not enjoy the good play .

Still remember when Jack, tom and J Miller were tearing it up in '75.  A fond golf memory

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
No real need to see them suffer every single year. These guys can really play. They have great equipment (imagine Jones and Hogan playing with hybrids!) and the course is soft. Not worth the handwringing, IMHO.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
No real need to see them suffer every single year. These guys can really play. They have great equipment (imagine Jones and Hogan playing with hybrids!) and the course is soft. Not worth the handwringing, IMHO.

Well said. What can be done when Mother Nature intervenes? And why worry about it? If you want to see the best golfers in the world struggle, just wait until June at Chambers Bay and then in August at Whistling Straits. Until then, enjoy watching some great shots. Life is too short to be a grouch.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
weather creates variable course conditions ... sometimes easier and sometimes harder.  what is wrong with that?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Phil McDade

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Yikes -- lots of grumbling about alleged criticism of low scoring this year, and no one's really addressed the (mandatory! ;D) architecture-related question asked in the original post:

"(W)ould a tournament total at or lower than -20 prompt another round of changes at America's most famous course?"

Augusta National has added length to the course in the past, and is clearly prepared to do so again. More rough, additional trees, and faster green speeds are (relatively) easy things to control, and add, if so desired.

The powers-that-be clearly viewed Floyd's record-matching win in 1976 as a one-off, as they kept the course at under 7,000 yards and maintained width for another 20-some years; not so with Tiger in '97. Dramatic changes came not long after his 12-stroke, -18 win. At what point do the Augusta National tournament folks see the need for more changes to the course, and make them? That question is -- based on past history with the club -- surely based more on scoring than, say, time.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Yikes -- lots of grumbling about alleged criticism of low scoring this year, and no one's really addressed the (mandatory! ;D) architecture-related question asked in the original post:

"(W)ould a tournament total at or lower than -20 prompt another round of changes at America's most famous course?" . . .

I have no idea what the powers that be might be thinking and frankly, I'm not sure what the club's past history means for today.  Things change, people change (women!).  From my point of view, and I always enjoy the Masters, it's the competition and the possibility of things changing so fast.   The final score, total, or in relation to par, means nothing to me.  I'd not like to see it become just a long slog like the U.S. Open's become in some recent years.  I wouldn't want the drama to go away.  Will it this year?  So, what, it's just one year.

If I was in charge and thought the course needed some toughening, I might let the rough grass get a little deeper, and I convert lots of the pine straw (pine needle) areas into grubby rough.  I wouldn't make it any longer.  Fortunately, I'm not in charge.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:20:29 PM by Carl Johnson »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »
I find it exciting. There is no wind, humid conditions, perfect scoring conditions. So the players are taking advantages of it. Always the most exciting tournament of the year.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Don Jordan

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Jones wanted a course that rewarded bravery and length and Augusta does that beautifully. Year in year out it if you look at the leaderboard and ignore score to par it is the best leaderboard. The only time it wasn't was in those years they manipulated the scores to look after scores relative to par.

The fact that Speith who is not a bomber by modern standards is breaking records is worth noting.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
If you look at the rest of the field it is only Spieth that is playing stellar golf whilst the rest are playing some very good golf but not record breaking. It is interesting that the pros seem to be struggling with slower greens at Augusta so maybe the course should be looking more at ultra firm conditions but a slower roll rate by raising the HOC and stimp reading.

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
No doubt those declaring the course too easy are the same naive and uneducated folks who claimed the recent changes took the roars away.
Winter weather makes the course play very differetly than summer weather.
Both are possible in the month of April in Augusta and can change the scoring dramatically.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Essig

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
The greens are firmer today
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Phil McDade

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
No doubt those declaring the course too easy are the same naive and uneducated folks who claimed the recent changes took the roars away.

Spieth just birdied 10 to go -18 with 13 and 15 to play. He now holds the all-time record for birdies in one Masters tournament (26). Dustin Johnson played a 9-iron for his second shot into 13.

Just saying....

Matthew Rose

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
We will see #5 lengthened to 500 yards in the next few years once Berckmans Road is relocated. I'm not really sure where else they can add anything. I guess they could make #8 600 yards but I don't think there is any need.

With all the eagles at 13 this year I wonder if they will be buying more land from ACC  ;D
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

danielfaleman

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
This is an embarrassment, not enjoyable to watch at all. I've seen tougher greens on chip-n-putts. We all remember the fast greens...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
I get that this is all a big joke to you people, but...Your greens will never be as fast as Augusta's.  Your greens will never be as firm as Augusta's. As their greens get softer and slower so will yours. Have a great time and enjoy those lower scores.

BHoover

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
I get that this is all a big joke to you people, but...Your greens will never be as fast as Augusta's.  Your greens will never be as firm as Augusta's. As their greens get softer and slower so will yours. Have a great time and enjoy those lower scores.

Just curious whether you are familiar with the concepts of rain and humidity, and the impact each tends to have on soil conditions? Just curious.

danielfaleman

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
Understood. Greens will get slower. Fine, boost the desire for play for the occasional 18 handicapper at your local club and muni. But at the majors? No fear on approaches, 16 foot putts that check up short. Please. Pander in some other way...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »

Just curious whether you are familiar with the concepts of rain and humidity, and the impact each tends to have on soil conditions? Just curious.

Indubitably. Rain and humidity were not a factor. Soft is the new skinny.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back