News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: "China's Central Government Orders Demolition Of 66 Golf Courses"
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
Chinese citizens are not banned from playing golf. Communist Party members are banned from joining golf clubs. Plus fwiw I believe Dr Ruayrungruang holds Thai citizenship too.

Adam, maybe a bit of a flippant remark by me apparently. I would imagine however that anyone on the board of a big Chinese company is almost certainly a party member. Also I doubt Dr. Ruayrungruang's Thai citizenship is of any relevance to the Chinese when it comes to party directives.

As I said, my comment was meant as an ironic joke rather than a serious point hence the emoticon.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
Tim Finchem was on Morning Drive yesterday and had an interesting politically correct take.

He felt that the government has nothing against golf but instead the closing was all about corruption. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
Tim Finchem was on Morning Drive yesterday and had an interesting politically correct take.

He felt that the government has nothing against golf but instead the closing was all about corruption.

He is correct. Golf is perceived as an arm of corruption. If you have been following China generally over the last couple of years you'll be aware that a LOT of senior officials have been put on trial for corruption. Golf has been a way that the political and business elites connect and thus a channel by which corruption has spread.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »

He is wrong. It is not all about corruption.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back