News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave McCollum

Re: The Fescues of Muirfield
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
This is a silly comment because I have played only two rounds of golf on the Old and New in St. Andrews.  I’m not a good player but I didn’t lose a ball and thought the rough was very well managed, making recovery shots possible (in May).  Some others have similar comments from different days, years.  I’m curious if this was the product of maintenance practices, weather, budget, or just pure happenstance.  My memory of my golf in Scotland many years ago is that the roughs were not automatic lost balls (didn't play Muirfield).  Quite the opposite four years later on Irish links.  I remember playing the last four holes at Portrush with my last remaining pellet.  I happened to be playing the best golf of my life (still a modest achievement) at the time and most of my misses were barely off the fairways by a yard or two, and mostly from misjudging the wind rather than hitting a bad shot.  Still, it was almost impossible to find your ball that October in Ireland. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
I often toe in a three wood when playing in a strong wind. Keep it at about head height and it makes life a lot easier. Interesting ideas on the driver being more stable in strong winds due to it being heavier. Never heard this before.

As for the rough it is as Niall says, rough is lighter in the winter and in the summer if May or June are wet then the rough gets thick if its dry then less so. For those wondering about fertiliser transgression I doubt many links fairways receive any fertiliser.

Jon

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Just curious, how do the members of THCEG treat the rough? Do they hit provisionals, play the rough as a lateral hazard and drop at point of entry or just concede the hole and move on to the next one?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »
Just curious, how do the members of THCEG treat the rough? Do they hit provisionals, play the rough as a lateral hazard and drop at point of entry or just concede the hole and move on to the next one?
They just get on with it.  Lost balls really aren't as common as you'd believe from what you read here.  On a day with 50 mph winds they probably stay inside.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Graham

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 05:32:06 AM »
They just get on with it.  Lost balls really aren't as common as you'd believe from what you read here.  On a day with 50 mph winds they probably stay inside.

I think that's the key point. One would normally never leave the clubhouse, if not home on a day with weather conditions such as those that Mike, Gordon and I encountered. I'm sure members normally stay away on Tuesdays and Thursdays anyway but I don't think I saw one person who might have been a member the day we played.

MCirba

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »
Speaking of trousers, I think this picture taken just after lunch gives a pretty good idea of the wind velocity.   Take note of the pant legs, ties, and even the sleeve of my jacket being blown up my arm.   And my hair is a complete mess!  ;)

Also note that Michael Graham changed into more conservative attire for lunch, but was rocking the red slacks again during the second 18.   ;D

As far as the rough, I don't have my latest version of the Confidential Guide in front of me but recall seeing that both Ran and I believe Darius believe that the impenetrable nature detracts from their rating of the course overall.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
One truism is that criticisms and comparison of golf courses is hardly a new fad.   From Melvyn Morrow, here's a quote from Harold Hilton in an Edinburgh newspaper in 1896.   Funny to think that modern comparisons of the two are somewhat reversed. 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:44:43 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
How would folks feel if each hole were lined with ponds down the length of each hole?
Mike I think they call that Florida??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back