News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Newport GC (aka Rogerstone), South Wales New
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Think golf and Newport/South Wales and the name that comes to mind is Celtic Manor.

But this thread isn't about CM, it's about the older Newport GC, which was founded as a 9-holer in 1903 and then moved to it's current 18-hole location in 1903.

I am told that the course is by Willie Fernie with some input thereafter by Harry Vardon and over the last few years a couple of visits by Donald Steel. If anyone can throw more light on this I'd appreciate it.

Very nice it is to. Pretty much your quintessential British private members club. All things in place, and very neat and tidy and well maintained in a tranquil location at the top of a hill.

A thoroughly nice place to play golf. Nothing flash or overstated and with pretty easy walking at 6,500 yds from the back-tees on nice hilltop/moorland type grass. Not really too many trees and those that are have the canopy raised above mower driver height and with shortish rough below so finding the ball and basic recovery should be okay. Recovery into the right spots is a different matter though as most of the greens are well contoured and bunkered. Unusually the course has 5 par-3's and 5 par-5's. The greens are all old style, ie clay bowl construction, with many contours that are subtle and visually pretty confusing to putt on.

I had a little bit of camera trouble so to see numerous fine photos of the course see this link to the clubs website - http://www.newportgolfclub.org.uk/course/

Fortunately I did manage some photos of the par-3 2nd hole, only 140 yds from the back tee which I thought a rather fine wee hole with a well contoured green, so I've posted them.

Below - from the front tee

Below - from the top of the valley in front of the green

Below - from left front side. The flag is in a 'bowled' area. The green widens out to the rear.

Below - from the rear right side

Below - from the right side of the green

I'd been advised to visit Newport/Rogerstone for quit a while and am very glad I did. I shall certainly go back again. Good value and worth playing if you're travelling into or out of South Wales and want as a bit of variety to play an inland traditional private members course that is not on the usual radar of GCA links courses in the area.

atb
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:53:18 PM by Thomas Dai »

Richard Fisher

Re: Newport GC (aka Rogerstone), South Wales
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »

Delighted to see this reference to inland golf in Wales. Back in the more innocent days of George Houghton's Golf Addict Invades Wales (1969), Rogerstone and Cardiff's Radyr jockeyed for reputational position as 'the premier inland course in Wales', with Whitchurch (home course n its time to some celebrated Welsh amateurs, none more distinguished than the  current British Walker Cup Captain, Nigel Edwards) and perhaps the Glamorganshire at Penarth both mentioned in despatches. The emergence of firstly St Pierre (which in its halcyon tournament days of the 1960s and 1970s was a genuine public magnet, even though it also has some claim to be the strangest venue ever to be chosen for either a Curtis or Walker Cup, certainly on the British side of the Atlantic) and then more recently Celtic Manor, in its various manifestations, have shaken things up a lot, and it's nice to be reminded of some of the older virtues. TD's description of Rogerstone echoes George Houghton's assessment of the Glamorganshire: 'Slopes are most gradual, and there is a peaceful air of the past which is conducive to quiet, unspectacular golf by unhurried people on sunny mid-week days'.

Houghton is a golf writer and cartoonist who has all but disappeared from view, and I am sure that 90% of (certainly) American readers of GCA have never heard of him. But in a funny sort of way, his work gives as good an insight into the smallish world of British club golf in the 1950s and 1960s as any. He was a Scot (born in Perth) who lived in Paris for many years, served with great distinction in RAF Intelligence, and wrote over thirty books, combining his cartoons (many of which hung or hang in the clubhouses of featured clubs: there is one, entirely characteristic, depicting a Harlech monthly medal played in a high wind and pouring rain which adorns the walls of the RStD to this day) with gently amusing commentary. His publisher (Pelham Books) claimed that his 'Total sales exceed by far those of any other (British) golf writer', and there is no reason not to believe them. Of interest to GCA, there is a rare but rather readable guide to British courses from (I think) the late-1950s which is worth checking out, and Houghton also wrote accounts of his 'Golf Addict' trips to the US, Japan, and elsewhere.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
Thomas, Richard - thanks much for sharing something (for me) brand new.  Good to learn about that course and Mr. Houghton both.
Peter

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »

Delighted to see this reference to inland golf in Wales. Back in the more innocent days of George Houghton's Golf Addict Invades Wales (1969), Rogerstone and Cardiff's Radyr jockeyed for reputational position as 'the premier inland course in Wales', with Whitchurch (home course n its time to some celebrated Welsh amateurs, none more distinguished than the  current British Walker Cup Captain, Nigel Edwards) and perhaps the Glamorganshire at Penarth both mentioned in despatches. The emergence of firstly St Pierre (which in its halcyon tournament days of the 1960s and 1970s was a genuine public magnet, even though it also has some claim to be the strangest venue ever to be chosen for either a Curtis or Walker Cup, certainly on the British side of the Atlantic) and then more recently Celtic Manor, in its various manifestations, have shaken things up a lot, and it's nice to be reminded of some of the older virtues. TD's description of Rogerstone echoes George Houghton's assessment of the Glamorganshire: 'Slopes are most gradual, and there is a peaceful air of the past which is conducive to quiet, unspectacular golf by unhurried people on sunny mid-week days'.

Houghton is a golf writer and cartoonist who has all but disappeared from view, and I am sure that 90% of (certainly) American readers of GCA have never heard of him. But in a funny sort of way, his work gives as good an insight into the smallish world of British club golf in the 1950s and 1960s as any. He was a Scot (born in Perth) who lived in Paris for many years, served with great distinction in RAF Intelligence, and wrote over thirty books, combining his cartoons (many of which hung or hang in the clubhouses of featured clubs: there is one, entirely characteristic, depicting a Harlech monthly medal played in a high wind and pouring rain which adorns the walls of the RStD to this day) with gently amusing commentary. His publisher (Pelham Books) claimed that his 'Total sales exceed by far those of any other (British) golf writer', and there is no reason not to believe them. Of interest to GCA, there is a rare but rather readable guide to British courses from (I think) the late-1950s which is worth checking out, and Houghton also wrote accounts of his 'Golf Addict' trips to the US, Japan, and elsewhere.

Thanks Tomas and Richard. 

I have a few George Houghton's that I've picked up cheap whilst checking out the sports sections of S/H bookshops.  You can usally get them for less than a current copy of a Golf mag offering you litle but instant fixes for that slice you still have, despite buying one the month before!  I knew nothing about him.  I wonder if RAF intelligence and Naval inteligence ever had a get together at a links? Nice to think of the two Scots, Houghton and Flemming sharing a martini or two, whilst discussing the kind of books they intended to write once they'd seen off the bosch.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »
Richard,

Thank you for the details on George Houghton. I shall do some further research.

As to other inland S Wales courses, Radyr GC, a Harry Colt course in Cardiff, has been mentioned to me by a few folk as well worth playing so it's on my 'to play' list - http://www.radyrgolf.co.uk/pages.php

In particular, I've been told about the merits of Radyr's wee par-3 12th hole with it's banana shaped green placed on top of a rise. Appears worth investigating.

Anyone played Radyr?

atb

Thomas Dai

Re: Newport GC (aka Rogerstone), South Wales New
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 06:34:11 AM »
A repeat visit to Newport GC arose recently in the company of a GCA'er and another enthusiast. And a gorgeous sunny day we had too.
The background and details of the Club are mentioned in the first few paragraphs of the opening post so not much point in repeating them here.
What I will add is that my appreciation of the cunning and subtlety of the course has risen since the previous visit. Lots of half-blind shots over slight crests or rises and use of the undulating terrain. What you see is not what you usually get at NGC, especially into, around and on the greens where there is more deception and movement than there appears to be.
On the previous visit camera issues arose but fortunately not this time so here are some photos and a few words -

As my previous photos seem to have disappeared below are a few from a visit in Oct 2021
atb

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:42:19 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back