News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AChao

Shadow Creek - before and after rennovation
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Hi all,

For those of you who have played Shadow Creek before and after the rennovation ... did you like it more before or after and why?

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.  Thanks!

Scott Weersing

Re: Shadow Creek - before and after rennovation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »
Ok, why a renovation?

Did they remove some of the pine trees?

Did they remove some of the fake creeks and rivers?

Did they put in a centerline sprinkler system? (This one seems the most likely as the sprinkler system was 25 years old)

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
I haven't played it, but I didn't know there was a renovation.  What was done?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
The changes made to SC were years ago and quite good. If you do a search you might find them. Scott's comments are inappropriate.

While it's been too long to remember everything, there were several green surrounds that were altered to allow for more creative recovery options. Plus, there was an amazing practice area created. Bunker edges were changed, even before the renovation you speak of.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:16:59 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Renovation in 2008. Greens, tees and approaches are now all bentgrass. Pretty awesome, considering how hot it gets in the summer.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dave McCollum

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »
A super friend of mine says that bent is the only way to go in Vegas because, although hot in summer, the humidity is low.

Gary Sato

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »

AChao

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:11:19 AM »
Same question still ... opinions of those who have played before and after.  The links in the previous post only show pictures of the course pre-renovation that I could see.  Lots has been done afterward ...

1)  Driving range now one large area
2)  Slope to 3rd green seems to be much steeper and longer.
3)  Right side of 6th green and off the green seem more severe.
4)  7th hole seems wide open compared with pictures of the original
5)  8th hole now a draw shot ... old one was fade ... why was it changed?  Original hole looked pretty good.
6)  11th hole green seems to be almost unhitable.
7)  14th hole lake seems to be much larger.
Cool  16th hole fairway now ends at a point and becomes rough before becoming fairway again
9)  17th hole green seems very, very difficult to hit with any wind.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
I thought the changes, while subtle, were all thoughtful. They improved the playability for most golfers and even creative ones, by adding more short grass on aprons and collars and allowing for some kick plates on some holes. There was some pruning done to at least one hole to improve rear sight lines. It's been too long but somewhere in these annals are other references to them.

I doubt an infrequent player would notice much difference. But that's mostly because the routing is the same.

The 17th is not hard to hit. And, for the most part, wind is relatively mitigated by the bowl shape of the entire complex.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back