News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Roger Wolfe

Proud of my Membership/Superintendent Relationship...
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
Great excerpt from my superintendent's blog...

"Which brings us to the last question, when will I open the driving range tee?  It is amazing how frequently the golf shop staff gets asked this question after just a few green leaves emerge.  I can tell you the tee is nowhere near ready for use and we will need to evaluate the impact of this weekend's temperatures.  The best answer I can give you is the tee will open at the appropriate time, just please be patient.  I know, it's maddening."

Very proud of him AND my membership because together they have created an environment where he not only only has the confidence, but is EXPECTED to tell it like it is....  Matthew won an award for social media at the GCSAA national event and you can see why...

http://www.carolinagreenkeeper.blogspot.com/

How many other superintendents would improve communication with their members (and their personal job security) if they took a few hours every few weeks to inform and educate their membership?  I was a member at another club for a short time and actually spent 30 minutes listening to an idiot in the men's grill explain why greens aeration is unnecessary.  A little communication goes a long way....

Joe Sponcia

Re: Proud of my Membership/Superintendent Relationship...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
Blown away!  ...Turning boards, what a great idea from July 11th, 2014.  Roger, I follow several Course Curator blogs, this is truly one of the best.  Kudos.
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Philip Hensley

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
Latest entry is great, can't wait to read more. Nice explanation of how colder than normal winter this year and how that affects the Bermuda coming out of dormancy.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
Thanks Roger for the post and education, always fun to see pros (yourself included!) in action.

Stephen Pellegrino

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:20:45 AM »
Last winter our club was looking for a new superintendent, and I was asked to head up that effort. In addition to various interviews and presentations that each finalist went through, I felt that it was important to have each candidate demonstrate their ability to communicate via the written word. After each candidate left the interview room, they were lead to a quiet office with a computer and were given 30 minutes to create a "letter to the membership" describing a difficult situation on the golf course. I want to say it was something like a burst irrigation pipe on 4th of July weekend or an unscheduled ventilation of the greens in-season. A few candidates handled the task adroitly, others...not so much.

Earning buy in from membership is a process, and I think it requires "all hands on deck." As the original post suggests, the superintendent has been empowered and supported in his efforts to communicate with membership. For true buy-in, I think that the staff, the superintendent and the various member committees need to support one another - both verbally and in in written communication.

Just my opinion...

-Stephen

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
Very few clubs "get it."
This is another example that Carolina GC definitely gets it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
Have any of you taken the opportunity to discuss your superintendent blog with your fellow members?  Open the windows and bring in the crickets. No one reads this drivel outside those who only ask the questions where they already have the answers. I think most supers write to impress their peers and potential employers. I may be old fashioned but like to see more growie with less typie from my guy.

I also don't give a damn how well they can knot a tie.

Ask yourself if you would rather have my road superintendent fixing the road in front of your house or blogging why it's down to one lane for safety while the emulsion breaks.  You can not do both efficiently without additional capital outlay. Education of the driving public on the why is a financial boondoggle created by politians looking for excuses to keep their job. It serves no one outside the base of power.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Have any of you taken the opportunity to discuss your superintendent blog with your fellow members? . . . No one reads this drivel outside those who only ask the questions where they already have the answers.

Mr. K, you cannot be serious (can you?).  Assuming you are, I am a member of CGC and when there is a new post to the blog members are notified.  I always read it.  I'll often ask the guys I play with if they've read a recent post.  Often they have.  Our members that I speak with seem to appreciate the information.  I'm not sure what you mean about "already having the answers."  Sometimes what our super says I already know -- but only because it's something he's told us before.  And, reinforcement is good.  Moreover, I can honestly say I learn something every time I read a new post.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post because, I've decided, you really cannot be serious.

. . .

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:04:31 PM by Carl Johnson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
Carl,

I am 100% serious. I have never spoken to a fellow member who felt why a procedure was being done was important. When is entirely a different matter. That information is easily included on a club calendar.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
Have any of you taken the opportunity to discuss your superintendent blog with your fellow members?  Open the windows and bring in the crickets. No one reads this drivel outside those who only ask the questions where they already have the answers. I think most supers write to impress their peers and potential employers. I may be old fashioned but like to see more growie with less typie from my guy.

I also don't give a damn how well they can knot a tie.

Ask yourself if you would rather have my road superintendent fixing the road in front of your house or blogging why it's down to one lane for safety while the emulsion breaks.  You can not do both efficiently without additional capital outlay. Education of the driving public on the why is a financial boondoggle created by politians looking for excuses to keep their job. It serves no one outside the base of power.

Not even going to dignify this with a response...

Carl Johnson

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
Carl,

I am 100% serious. I have never spoken to a fellow member who felt why a procedure was being done was important. When is entirely a different matter. That information is easily included on a club calendar.

O.K., I get it now.  We don't belong to the same club with the same members.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
I'm going to break my own rule and respond to John... 

John, try to imagine that there is a significant percentage of every golf club membership that actually would like to know a little bit about what a superintendent does to produce the golfing conditions that members enjoy.

Why do they punch holes in the greens early in the seaon? Late in the season? What do they fill the holes with? Why can't the greens be opened as soon as the snow melts? Since we have an expensive irrigation system, why are there guys watering by hand?  And many other topics that intelligent, inquisitive people might like to learn about.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »

John, try to imagine that there is a significant percentage of every golf club membership that actually would like to know a little bit about what a superintendent does to produce the golfing conditions that members enjoy.

Why do they punch holes in the greens early in the seaon? Late in the season? What do they fill the holes with? Why can't the greens be opened as soon as the snow melts? Since we have an expensive irrigation system, why are there guys watering by hand?  And many other topics that intelligent, inquisitive people might like to learn about.

Bill,

Thank you for a fair and balanced response. I think you would agree that any registered member of this site would know the answers to your questions. It has been my contention from day one that the sad truth of the matter is that your average civilian golfer is no stupider than we. I simply do not associate with anyone who has so little faith in a professional of the caliber that works where I play that they do not have faith in why the what is done. We simply need to know only when so we can arrange a game at another available club.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
The DR tee wasn't ready to open and the Supt let the members know the situation.
What's all the fanfare about?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »
The DR tee wasn't ready to open and the Supt let the members know the situation.
What's all the fanfare about?

Exactly. We would rather have another Bloody Mary than get a science lesson. The tee is open when it is open. I know they are at every club but who really wants to be the guy that needs a detailed explanation in writing why?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Bill,

Thank you for a fair and balanced response. I think you would agree that any registered member of this site would know the answers to your questions. It has been my contention from day one that the sad truth of the matter is that your average civilian golfer is no stupider than we. I simply do not associate with anyone who has so little faith in a professional of the caliber that works where I play that they do not have faith in why the what is done. We simply need to know only when so we can arrange a game at another available club.

Well, after golfing for over 30 years, I learned a ton from my club's superintendent after serving on the Grounds Committee for 3 years and then chairing it for 4 years.  I play with a wide variety of members, it is amazing how little most golfers know about what it takes to keep the course in shape. But that does not stop a few loudmouths from making disparaging cooments like "why can't our greens run at 12 like ____ (neighboring club)" and why is the rough so thick, etc. etc. Most clubs have these guys and they can cause problems. I believe in fending off ignorance with education. Not all care to be educated, but if we educate enough of the members around them, their influence is eliminated; and their whining

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
Over 1 billion dollars a year is spent educating the general public why we fix your roads when we do. This is an amazing waste of money because a very low percentage of people can't stand to watch a cake being made without being offered a lick at the spoon. If a Super spends an hour a week on his blog it is more than a week's pay spent where he could be looking to the fine details of the course. Our society of catering to the lowest common denominator need to know numb nut is out of control.   Sure does make us feel good though, doesn't it.

Bill, looks like we agree that this is a politically based expenditure. You can't be serious if you think that is money or time well spent.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
One of the most enlightening conversations I ever had was with a Priest about the fine people who volunteer at the church. I had mentioned my regret for not helping out and mentioned how grateful he must be for those who do. He promptly told me to please stay home because he has all the help he needs and over 90% of his free time is spent herding these sheep who think they are there to help. I'm sure an experienced Super feels much the same way about the good people who serve on committees. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »
I've gotta be honest,  having worked at clubs and belonging to clubs you've always got people who read these blogs and others who dont. The people who read it are usually folks who have trust in their staff. The people who don't read them usually the people who think everyone on staff is stupid.

As for notifying the membership of something Iike the range issue I don't see the big deal. Isn't his job to explain stuff like this to the members?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:02 PM »
J - you seem to be assuming that there are two kinds of professionals: the 'merely political' (who, in their most extreme form are actually politicians) and the 'purely practical' (who, in their most extreme form are Joe Hancock), with the former concerned entirely with messaging and communications and self-promotion and the latter concerned only with getting the job done properly and to the best of their abilities. Now, granted, these two types make up the majority of working professionals -- with, in my experience, the 'merely political' becoming more and more numerous and common and the 'purely practical' becoming more and more rare. But I think there is the third type of professional, the rarest type of all, i.e. the 'practical practician'. He/she does their jobs properly and to the best of their abilities, and without taking any time away from that, understand the need for and thus take the time to communicate their message to their constituencies. You're not being fair when you automatically assume that Roger's superintendent isn't one of these.

Peter  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I don't understand why Sam says the people who trust the staff need to read why they are doing their job.  I would would think that if you trust your super you go to the course ready to play knowing the course is as good as it can be that day. If you don't trust him or her you want to know why not.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
I don't understand why Sam says the people who trust the staff need to read why they are doing their job.  I would would think that if you trust your super you go to the course ready to play knowing the course is as good as it can be that day. If you don't trust him or her you want to know why not.

I've found they read so they are up to date on the goings on of the super.

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
Jkava,

I agree with you.   ''Our society of catering to the lowest common denominator need to know numb nut is out of control.''  A keeper doing a blog is excessive and is basically the same thing as paying for a head pro and then spending additional money on a Teaching pro.  The modern average member needs his name and handicap dots posted on his scorecard for him by the staff now and we wonder why clubs are hurting.   Where 30 years ago the pros job was to teach his members on the lesson tee if they desired.  The only positive I can think of a blog is to save a keeper from having to explain himself repetitively to the same group of whiners why he did what.  He should explain himself to the greens committee or whats the point in having one?  Would those same whiners want to be micromanaged at their job, having to explain themselves nonstop?  Do blogs replace green committees now?  It seems as though we want instant feedback on everything now a days.  That is more time for the keeper away from his family. 

PS-  It was 36 degs today in Ann Arbor and our range was open.  We have mats on the very back of the range, I thought most courses did?   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:26:04 PM by BCowan »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Our teaching pro does 8 lessons per day 5 days a week. When would he have time to do shop stuff?

BCowan

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back