News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Re: 100% artificial man-made courses that work
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
Of courses that I have played it is Bayonne by some margin. The whole thing was landfill, no more than 10 feet above sea level. The whole course is built from reclaimed silt, dredged from the Hudson river and the clubhouse is 92 feet above sea level. Quite impressive really.

Bayonne is the first course that came to mind for me as well.  It's an extremely impressive course in its own right, but to see what's there now having seen what was there before is staggering.

To see this ...

... where a flat, 10-foot high field of landfill once sat is incredible.  I'm with Michael on this one -- Bayonne by a wide margin for me.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

David Davis

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »
Jon,

Thanks for posting that. Some serious earth moving going on there. Impressive look though I've not played it yet. It would seem to be in the same or at least similar vein as Castle Course or Winston Golf links in Germany. Though to some the view may be better or worse. Castle Course however, does look over St. Andrews. Not a bad view knowing you have all those great courses a stones throw away not too mention a 200 GBP annual ticket for residents that allows them access to everything. I'm guessing the price tag at Bayonne to be slightly different ;-)
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Paul Carey

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »
Bulls Bay.

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
Willow Hill 9-holer north of Chicago is a fun linksy landfill course that gets a lot of wind.  Haven't been there, but I'd certainly like to check out the Rawls course, which I believe was built from a perfectly flat field.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
Arcadia Bluffs....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

archie_struthers

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »

I think Bayonne is wonderful as well. Eric Bergstol doesn't get enough credit for the job he did bringing this to fruition. It's so much fun to play and really a modern wonder of GCA.

By layering the fairways they were able to build a pretty big golf course on a small piece of ground . Merion strikes me as amazingly efficient in this way . It's not cramped and just over 100 acres.  Both have width.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
Yas Links.

It's literally all man made as the island it's on wasn't there 20 years ago.

Thomas Dai

Re: 100% artificial man-made courses that work New
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
Golf National Paris? Venue for numerous French Open's and site of the next Ryder Cup to be held in Europe.

atb
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:38:37 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back