News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

USGA Symposium on golf course architecture
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Announcement sent today:

The USGA will host a free public symposium on golf course architecture from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. EDT on Saturday, April 18, at its campus in Far Hills, N.J. The four guest speakers will be Gil Hanse, talking about golf's return to the Olympics in 2016; Robert Trent Jones II, speaking about Chambers Bay and the 2015 U.S. Open; Michael Hurdzan, discussing 2017 U.S. Open site Erin Hills and sustainability; and Forrest Richardson, exploring golf course design as art and the work of Desmond Muirhead.
To RSVP, please call the USGA at (908) 234-2300, extension 1057. Seating is limited, so call today to reserve your spot. Don't miss the opportunity to hear these four exciting speakers as the 2015 golf season gets underway in the Northeast.

I'm just a little bummed that it is on a Saturday, the same as Opening Day at my club.

Matt Bielawa

Re: USGA Symposium on golf course architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
Would love if they would do a web-cast of this event.

JC Urbina

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
What a lineup of interesting characters, a nice mix of ideas in that group.

I wander how in depth they wil get and if Mike Davis is planning on being there?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
The USGA likes to pay respect to that which it will leave alone for most amateur championships while torturing US Open sites. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »
Would love if they would do a web-cast of this event.

I think this is an excellent idea. I will try to find out if this will be possible.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
Is a transcript possible?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
This should be a terrific event. Mike Davis will be there and will participate. 

It is the first event of its kind to be held at Far Hills by the USGA. My hope is that it will be a success and become a regular feature on the USGA calendar. The added attention being given architecture (and related issues such as US Open set-ups, sustainability, construction/maintenance costs and pace of play) by the USGA is a wonderful development. Hopefully, these sorts of events will further encourage their interest. People who frequent GCA will have a lot to contribute to the sessions. I hope you will attend. 

On another note, beginning two years ago at Merion the USGA has held a panel discussion with architects involved with the Open course, supers, historians, Mike Davis and others. Jimmy Rogers has served as host and has done an excellent job of herding the panelists.

The USGA will hold a similar event again this summer at Chambers Bay on Monday afternoon during Open week. Bobby Jones, Mike Davis and others to be named are scheduled for the panel. Members of the press have made up much of the audience, but the event is open to the public and attendance has been SRO. The discussions have been quite lively. Last year at Pinehurst Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw went out of their way to acknowledge the assistance of our very own Craig Disher in the changes they made to No. 2. Craig now charges for his autograph.

So if you are in or around Chambers Bay the week of the Open, it's an event anyone who participates here at GCA will enjoy.

Likewise, if you are in or around northern New Jersey April 18th, try to attend the architecture symposium at Far Hills.

Bob   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back