News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Buchanan

Atlanta Public Offerings
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
I will be in Atlanta for a wedding Memorial Day weekend and am hoping to sneak away Saturday, May 23rd for a round of golf with a couple other wedding goers. I know there are plenty of great private courses (Peachtree, AAC, East Lake, Settindown, ACC) but I am having trouble finding solid info on the public offerings. Don't believe we'll have enough time to make it to Cuscowilla, but are there any other worthwhile public offerings? Perhaps Wolf Creek or Stone Mountain?

Did a search, but seems this topic hasn't been discussed in quite some time.

Thanks for the help!

Charlie Gallagher

Re: Atlanta Public Offerings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »
I don't know if it is semi private or private, but Rivermont is good, solid, strategic, golf I think in John's Creek. The front nine employs a stream quite cunningly on a number of holes. It is up and down on the back and well worth a visit.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
For all of its shortcomings, I would still recommend North Fulton. Yes the round may be slow if you don't tee off by 8:30, and the conditions may not be perfect, and the par 5's are a bit awkward off of the tee. But the course is packed full of great and interesting holes with a ton of history. The stretch of 11-16 is about as fun and diverse a sequence of holes you'll find.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »
My Favorite Atlanta Muni's:

Chandler Park
Alfred Tup Holmes
North Fulton
Bobby Jones

BTW, Cuscowilla is private, but if you head out I-20 east, the state park course Hard Labor Creek is a good play.

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »
Gee, is Heritage chopped liver?  it's right downtown?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Achasta hasn't been mentioned and its a bit of a drive, but it's good. As is Arrowhead Pointe, again a drive.

I've heard Wolf Creek is good, but haven't played it and it is in Atlanta.

Reunion has good architecture but sometime the maintenance lags.

Bears Best is fun.

St. Marlo isn't good but for some reason I like playing it.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
When is the fabled Longshadow reopening?

As far as I know, Rivermont is private but hospitable. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
When is the fabled Longshadow reopening?

As far as I know, Rivermont is private but hospitable. 

will have something to say about it soon....

A good trip is Arrowhead Pointe and Cateechee in Hartwell.  Great set of 4 rooms in the top of clubhouse at Cateechee.  www.cateechee.com   and a great restaurant
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
I enjoyed my one trip around Cobblestone, but that's a little ways outside of the city as well.

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
That time of year, Stone Mountain (Stonemont course) should be in great shape.  RTJ Sr. design.  I think it is a great golf course (except for #9) and well worth the visit.  Do NOT play the Lakemont course there though.  Pure rubbish.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »

Chandler Park

This brought back memories. During college I visited Atlanta often and always made a stop at Candler Park. I'd pick up their set of rentals (no 2 clubs matched) and a few used balls from the garbage can full of them and set off. The conditioning was terrible back then, but that couple of hours was always the best part of my trip.

I haven't played there in 15 years, but think a return visit might be in order when I'm in Atlanta this July.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:09:06 AM by Daniel Jones »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Edward,
I'm going to take you at your word that you are going to be sneaking off for a Saturday round, and that drives to some of the courses that have been mentioned just won't work.  I don't want to be discouraging, but you couldn't come up with a worse scenario than public golf close to the city on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. 

If you can post some additional details, it might help, most especially where in the area you are staying.  It makes a big difference, as you probably know.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »

Chandler Park

This brought back memories. During college I visited Atlanta often and always made a stop at Candler Park. I'd pick up their set of rentals (no 2 clubs matched) and a few used balls from the garbage can full of them and set off. The conditioning was terrible back then, but that couple of hours was always the best part of my trip.

I haven't played there in 15 years, but think a return visit might be in order when I'm in Atlanta this July.

I have fond memories of playing Candler Park around the same time as well.  Always had a good time and met a lot of characters.  Fun place with some good holes. 

Edward Buchanan

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
Thanks for the responses!

We will be staying in downtown Atlanta at the Loews, but I will have a car. We should have a pretty good amount of time - would need to be showered and ready to be shuttled from hotel at 6pm. I hadn't thought of the potential for a 5.5 hour round...  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »

We will be staying in downtown Atlanta at the Loews, but I will have a car. We should have a pretty good amount of time - would need to be showered and ready to be shuttled from hotel at 6pm. I hadn't thought of the potential for a 5.5 hour round...  

And the potential for a 5.5 hour round is certainly in play.

With all due respect to the courses, the people playing, and other posts, I'd stay far away from any of the city of Atlanta courses on a holiday weekend Saturday.  North Fulton/Chastain Park is interesting and has some cool history, but it will be a pace-of-play disaster that day.  The other city courses are not worth the trouble.

I'd easily prefer Wolf Creek over Stone Mountain; the drives and prices ought to be pretty comparable, but Wolf Creek is a better golf course.  If if you do go to Stone Mountain, the advice to play Stonemont and stay away from Lakeside is spot on.   Heritage is also pretty convenient to downtown, and in the same price range as Wolf Creek and Stone Mt.

If you want to get up really early and make a bit of a drive, the best bet might be Cobblestone.  It's about 30 miles from where you are staying, but it's an easy drive, a good value, and a highly regarded course that has/does appear on a lot of public course ranking lists.  (It's too bad that you likely can't get to Arrowhead Pointe, but that's another story.)

One other that I'll mention.  The Frog would be a little bit longer ride (40 miles) but also very easy driving out I-20 on a Saturday morning.  I get killed every time I say this on GCA.com, but it is my favorite public Fazio course that I've played.  First hole is kind of weird; after that it is a very solid and underrated golf course.   

Hope some of that is helpful, and good luck.  Unfortunately, you are not coming to a public golf mecca, unless you are willing to do some serious mileage.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »

And the potential for a 5.5 hour round is certainly in play.

With all due respect to the courses, the people playing, and other posts, I'd stay far away from any of the city of Atlanta courses on a holiday weekend Saturday.  North Fulton/Chastain Park is interesting and has some cool history, but it will be a pace-of-play disaster that day.  The other city courses are not worth the trouble.

I'd easily prefer Wolf Creek over Stone Mountain; the drives and prices ought to be pretty comparable, but Wolf Creek is a better golf course.  If if you do go to Stone Mountain, the advice to play Stonemont and stay away from Lakeside is spot on.   Heritage is also pretty convenient to downtown, and in the same price range as Wolf Creek and Stone Mt.

If you want to get up really early and make a bit of a drive, the best bet might be Cobblestone.  It's about 30 miles from where you are staying, but it's an easy drive, a good value, and a highly regarded course that has/does appear on a lot of public course ranking lists.  (It's too bad that you likely can't get to Arrowhead Pointe, but that's another story.)

One other that I'll mention.  The Frog would be a little bit longer ride (40 miles) but also very easy driving out I-20 on a Saturday morning.  I get killed every time I say this on GCA.com, but it is my favorite public Fazio course that I've played.  First hole is kind of weird; after that it is a very solid and underrated golf course.   

Hope some of that is helpful, and good luck.  Unfortunately, you are not coming to a public golf mecca, unless you are willing to do some serious mileage.

I enjoyed The Frog as well.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
 I agree with AG.  I like Bear's Best but because it is fun and close to me, it isn't great by any means but your co-Horst would like it.  It's a shame that there isn't a great public course in Atlanta.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »
I liked The Frog as well. I also played Cherokee Run but have no recollection of it.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
I liked The Frog as well. I also played Cherokee Run but have no recollection of it.

Cherokee Run is, IMO, a too-hard golf course if you don't have a fair amount of local knowledge of the course.  I didn't particularly enjoy it, and I think for the drive involved from downtown there are lot of better options for a one-and-done visitor.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
I love the idea that one should drive 30-45 minutes each way in hopes of avoiding a 5.5 hour round.  I would play Chastain and enjoy being on the course and skip the drive. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
I love the idea that one should drive 30-45 minutes each way in hopes of avoiding a 5.5 hour round.  I would play Chastain and enjoy being on the course and skip the drive. 

I thought exactly that.
You COULD get lucky with the pace of play.(especially if you were to play early-I know Friday night ;))
You're NOT going to improve on the time for a 30-45 minute ride EACH way, and chances are pretty good it's going to be 5 hours on the course anyway on Memorial Day weekend-might even be worse on a remoter course BECAUSE it's a big getaway weekend

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »

I thought exactly that.
You COULD get lucky with the pace of play.(especially if you were to play early-I know Friday night ;))
You're NOT going to improve on the time for a 30-45 minute ride EACH way, and chances are pretty good it's going to be 5 hours on the course anyway on Memorial Day weekend-might even be worse on a remoter course BECAUSE it's a big getaway weekend

I take your point(s), but it's a 20 minute drive from his hotel to Chastain anyway; it's not like it's across the street.  There is at least a chance at some of the other courses that pace of play will be acceptable; there is NO chance of that at one of the city courses on a holiday Saturday morning.  This would be especially true of Chastain.

I know the cool history of Chastain, and back in the day when I used to play there I always thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to see this course in great condition!"  There are some interesting holes, for sure, and a lot of local flavor to the place.   

All of that said, there are any number of better options for a place to play, and if the rest of the group aren't GCA freaks with a history jones, after a 5.5 hour round on an old course in spotty, soggy condition, they might never play golf with Mr. Buchanan again.  I'm all good with GCA/history outings, but as a best choice for a group at a wedding party?  Doubtful...

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »

I thought exactly that.

All of that said, there are any number of better options for a place to play, and if the rest of the group aren't GCA freaks with a history jones, after a 5.5 hour round on an old course in spotty, soggy condition, they might never play golf with Mr. Buchanan again.  I'm all good with GCA/history outings, but as a best choice for a group at a wedding party?  Doubtful...

Touche ;) ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »
I would guess it will be 20 minutes to any course so that is a wash.  I was not even recommending Chastain on a GCA level, just a  close proximity, affordable, fun option for a wedding party that may not even include avid golfers who just want to be outside as they most likely have spent the previous day traveling. Ditto anyone who might be hungover/tired.  

Perhaps they should go with Chateau Elan.  

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
I would guess it will be 20 minutes to any course so that is a wash.  I was not even recommending Chastain on a GCA level, just a  close proximity, affordable, fun option for a wedding party that may not even include avid golfers who just want to be outside as they most likely have spent the previous day traveling. Ditto anyone who might be hungover/tired.  

Perhaps they should go with Chateau Elan.  

Augusta has good rates that time of year as well, though they may just miss the twilight ;) with the 6 pm wedding

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back