News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Jon, Bandon is in my top 5 golfing experiences. It's breath taking. Where would you put it in your personal list?

It is easily the best public/resort experience that I've ever had in the United States.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jon Cavalier

That's a tougher question for me to answer. It's very difficult for me to compare the Bandon experience (the extended time at the resort, the isolation, the travel there, the variety of the courses, even getting there) with the experience of spending a single day at a classic gem of a course. Is a day at Myopia Hunt Club or Fishers Island a "better" experience than spending three days at Bandon? I'm not sure I can answer that question. I do know that I'd consider Pacific Dunes the best modern course I've ever played, and that all four courses at Bandon would make the top 10 of that list.

But I'm just not sure how I'd compare the best multi-day resort experience I've ever had with the single day experience of playing one of my all time favorite courses.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Golf Photos via

JLahrman

Jon, I think the resort aspect of Bandon leaves a bit to be desired. It's a bit sterile and charmless in my view. A place like Barnbougle has far more local charm - but then it doesn't get the traffic. But stepping foot on the turf of those links courses and looking out on what are _easily_ the most vast and remote links courses on the planet and all of the extraneous stuff dissolves. It is beyond special. I am putting it in the same company as the Old course at St Andrews and Morfontaine (another incomparable place). The other publics in the States like Pebble (5 hour plus golf factory - no thanks) and Pinehurst don't get a look in really...

I will give you that Bandon doesn't have much in the way of local charm. I do like how the resort stays constant to the idea of a pure golf experience without the extraneous aspects of a golf resort that tend to annoy. Food is not fancy but it is good and reasonably priced. Staff are helpful but do not hover. Rooms are comfortable but not unnecessarily luxurious.

Jon Cavalier

Bandon Trails - front 9 is up.  Back 9 coming soon.
Golf Photos via

William_G

It's all about the golf!

Sven Nilsen

I think the resort aspect of Bandon leaves a bit to be desired. It's a bit sterile and charmless in my view.

There's something called a sense of place.  If you spent any time on the Oregon coast away from the resort, you'd understand how the Bandon aura works perfectly. 

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

William_G

I think the resort aspect of Bandon leaves a bit to be desired. It's a bit sterile and charmless in my view.

There's something called a sense of place.  If you spent any time on the Oregon coast away from the resort, you'd understand how the Bandon aura works perfectly. 

"lonely beauty" Crenshaw
It's all about the golf!

Scott Weersing

It was surprising to me to see the hole in the back of the fifth green at Bandon Trails.

I have played the course over the years and not have seen it there, nor seen a photo of the hole in the back of the green.

How far did the hole play with the pin in the back?

Jon Cavalier

Scott:

I think it played about 145 for us to that pin, from the green tees.

Jon
Golf Photos via

JLahrman

Scott:

I think it played about 145 for us to that pin, from the green tees.

Jon

That sounds about right.

The next day several of the group went back out and played 1-5 and 17-18 at Trails. The hole was on the very front shelf on #5, and the tees were a little farther up. It couldn't have played more than 90-100 yards. NOT really any easier as you couldn't wind up short, and if you flew it past the shelf a three-putt would be likely.

With the size and undulation of many of the greens at the result, it's fun to look at pictures of the different hole locations and imagine how differently the hole would play.

Even more fun would be to play the holes more often, but most of us will just have to daydream about it.

Jon Cavalier

It's a great hole - all four of the par 3s at Trails are really outstanding.
Golf Photos via

Jon Cavalier

Bandon Trails - all 18 holes posted.  Coming soon - The Preserve and Bandon Dunes.
Golf Photos via

Jon Cavalier

The Preserve is up. 

Bandon Dunes (last course) coming soon.

Thanks for viewing.
Golf Photos via

Benjamin Litman

Jon: Many thanks again for allowing those of us who have never been there, or who simply are not there, to experience Bandon in at least most of its glory.

As I continue to look at your spectacular photos, I come back to a question I had after playing and then discussing Streamsong: Does the individuality (and individual merit) of the courses at Bandon suffer at all by being part of a larger whole? I loved the overall Streamsong experience, just like I loved each of the individual courses. But the inevitable (and understandable) comparison of the two courses had me rolling my eyes after a while; each course is special on its own and shouldn't suffer by what it lacks in comparison to its neighbor.

Do you sense anything similar at Bandon? I sense it a bit in your comments, but I'd be curious to hear more.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

JLahrman

The Preserve is a ton of fun...though with the wind you'll need more than a wedge! On the second hole I had to hit a 185 yard shot to get it to the green from the 150 tees.

The shots are fun and can be played numerous different ways. You can putt on several holes. And the views of Bandon Dunes are unbelievable. From most of the course, you can see seven of the holes on Bandon Dunes' back nine (everything but the par 3s).

There was a college tournament starting a couple of days after my last visit. To demonstrate the quality of the course, the Army golf coach had his team playing the Preserve to prepare for the tournament.

Jon Cavalier

Ben: interesting question. And for a lot of multi-course resorts, I think you'd be right. But to be honest, at Bandon, I think the opposite is true. Which is to say that I think each of the individual courses is actually bolstered by its relationship with and proximity to the others. I think part of my feeling on that has to do with the location of the resort. Bandon is so isolated (at least it feels that way for an east-coaster - it's easier for me to get to Scotland than to Bandon). So when you're there, you're typically going to be there for an extended period of time, you're typically only going to be there, since there's nowhere else to go, and you're probably going to be playing at least some of the courses more than once.  Another factor is that the courses are all so different - I don't think anyone could play the Bandon courses and believe that any one of them wouldn't be able to stand on it's own merits.

Ranking the courses is a futile enterprise, though it can provide for some fun discussion, especially among your own playing companions. My own "ranking" of the four has changed many times over the last month until I finally just gave up. They're all outstanding.

Joel: true, but one of the things I thought was so cool about Preserve was that the tee boxes provided more of a suggestion than a mandate. The back and front yardages as marked were really more of a "max-min" distance guide, and since most of the tee boxes were continuous, you can really just pick your preferred distance on almost every hole. So if you want to play the second from 105 with a wedge, you can do it. A very underrated feature.
Golf Photos via

JLahrman

Jon that is true about the tees at the Preserve though I guess you could say that about any course.

Ben, after two visits my feeling is similar to Jon's. We can try to pick our favorite holes at Bandon or rank the courses. But it's like trying to pick your favorite Beatle. Who cares. Regardless of who was "better", the music they made was greater than the sum of their parts, and the absence of any of the four would have resulted in something far lesser.

Joe Zucker

Here are some nice pictures of Bandon from Ashworth.  No details on what exactly is in each picture, but they are certainly mesmerizing

http://golfman.ashworthgolf.com/bandon/light-shade

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back