News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Kentucky Public Golf Eclectic 18
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
As a Kentucky native currently living just across the river in Cincinnati, I post frequently on GolfKentuckyLinks.com. In the early 2000s, the site was a strong force in the Kentucky public golf course market as one of the best sources of information on golf in the area. The site's founders were two guys who played the courses from different sets of tees and gave their reviews. These days, the layout is a little outdated and the content isn't as current, but it's still one of the best single-state focused golf websites in the US. The forum is populated with a small but avid community of some two-dozen posters, including several GCA posters.

It gets quiet in the winter as daylight, temperatures, and play dwindle, so we often try to do a series of threads to give us something to talk about. This year, we decided to vote on Kentucky public golf's eclectic 18 best holes - in other words, we wanted to identify the best opening hole in Kentucky, the best second hole, the best third hole, and so on. We spent about 6 weeks taking nominations and then spent a month or two voting for the winners. The outcome was interesting to me on several levels and I thought it worthy of some discussion here. The results are as follows, with photos included where available:

First: Kearney Hill

Second: Heritage Hill

Third: Kearney Hill

Fourth: Eagle Ridge

Fifth: Devou Park (I did a GCA thread on this one here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59525.0.html)

Six: Old Silo

Seven: Old Silo

Eight: TIE
Cherry Blossom

... and Quail Chase East

Nine: Picadome

Ten: Dale Hollow

Eleven: TIE
University Club of Kentucky - Big Blue Course

... and Seneca

Twelve: Kearney Hill

Thirteen: Eagle Ridge

Fourteen: TIE
Houston Oaks

... and Dale Hollow

Fifteen: Big Blue

Sixteen: Kearney Hill

Seventeen: Cherry Blossom

Eighteen: Cherry Blossom
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

Re: Kentucky Public Golf Eclectic 18
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
A few things I thought were interesting in reviewing the results:

First, Kentucky has some seriously varied terrain. All but the western part of the state is well represented on this list, and we see everything from the gently rolling terrain around Lexington/Central Kentucky (the "Big Blue" course, Kearney Hill, Picadome, Cherry Blossom, Houston Oaks) and Louisville (Seneca, Heritage Hill, Quail Chase) to the more severe terrain in Southern Kentucky (Dale Hollow) and Northern Kentucky (Devou Park). Finally, there's the mountainous area in Eastern Kentucky (Old Silo, Eagle Ridge) with its severe elevation changes and thrill-seeking golf courses.

I also thought it was interesting how well represented Kearney Hill was on the list. Kearney is one of two Dye courses in Kentucky, and while it's largely a PB effort, it does pay homage to Pete in many spots. While its opening hole is just a solid, straightforward par 4 that doesn't really feel like a Dye "template," the other Kearney Hill holes on the list all would be considered old hat for a lot of GCAers. There's the par 5 3rd, which is similar in concept to the 16th at Sawgrass with water flanking a reachable green on the right. There's the 12th, which is the classic Dye par 3 over water that needs no introduction. And there's the 16th, which is like a miniature version of the 18th at Sawgrass. While those who have played a dozen Dye courses may find these holes repetitive, their inclusion here is a reminder that they're still excellent and fun holes that most golfers look forward to playing.

There are only a few holes I would quibble with. The two biggest ones are the choices from Eagle Ridge. The fourth is just a ridiculous hole on terrain completely unsuited for golf, but there just wasn't another strong 4th hole to challenge it. My vote went to Lassing Pointe's, but that would still likely have been the worst hole on the list. The 13th at Eagle Ridge is admittedly exciting, but it's also very one-dimensional and its inclusion here prevented the fantastic 13th at Old Silo (one of the two or three best holes in Kentucky in my book) from making the list. I also thought we erred in choosing Cherry Blossom's 17th over Kearney Hill's, the latter of which might be the best par 4 in Kentucky. Still, I can see the logic behind someone choosing 17 at Cherry Blossom instead. The other 15 choices are all pretty much in line with my own voting.

It strikes me that this would be a really interesting hypothetical course to play. If you choose the par 4 hole from each of the three ties we had, you end up with a par 72 that opens with a gentle handshake before presenting a number of half-par holes through the front nine with a few opportunities to score. Beginning late in the front side, the course gets tougher and shows some teeth up until the midpoint in the back nine, when it closes with a nice mix of holes that offer birdie opportunities and holes that are stout but interesting. It would be a lot of fun to play.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
Jason,

My first thoughts were that you either have poor taste in what is good architecture or that Kentucky public golf follows the "one and done" philosophy.   Have you ever played Audubon Park?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
I have not. We probably missed a few holes out in the western part of the state. Allegations of an east coast bias are well founded, as practically everyone on the site lives east of I-65.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
Thanks, Jason - both for the tour and for the idea of state-based, public ecletics. (I hope other well travelled golfer-photographers follow your lead.) It's a nice way to profile and promote quality golfing experiences on a local level and for a local clientele. 

There were many fine looking holes there. Even the 4th -- I found myself thinking that if the fairway extended back towards the tee a little more and also up the hill on the right, it would be a (still) daunting-looking but equally interesting challenge.

Peter

Jimmy Beard

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
Jason,

My first thoughts were that you either have poor taste in what is good architecture or that Kentucky public golf follows the "one and done" philosophy.   Have you ever played Audubon Park?

John,

Kentucky has poor public golf and additionally, has poor private golf. Having grown up in the state, there is not a whole lot of "must sees" in the state.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
I'm a little surprised that no holes from Lassing Pointe made it.

Gibson Bay also has a few good holes, but perhaps not as "memorable," which appears to have been a big factor in the choosing of this list. For that matter, The Bull has one or two cool holes too.

No Battlefield?? (that's sarcasm).

Jason: Do you know what ever became of Mahan Manor in Winchester? I think it opened as a 9-hole semi-private/resort facility around 2008. I heard good things about the course but never saw it myself...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:57:50 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
Jason,

Audabon has several good holes and what I consider a couple bad ones. I really like 2 and 9. I am suprised Heritage Hill was represented by 2. There were several holes there that I though were quite good, and better than 2. However don't ever walk HH as I did. 7.7 miles of cart path.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
Jimmy, I wouldn't disagree with your assessment. The thing I'd add, though, is that Kentucky golf offers a very good value. Any public course in the state can be played for under $35, and there isn't a public course in the state that costs more than $50 or $60 at peak time (aside from Griffin Gate, which only charges that much to out-of-town resort guests who aren't aware of one of the infinite offers to play the course for less). Kentucky's best public courses are probably solid 4s or 5s on a 0-10 scale, but there are some really enjoyable ones that represent their price points extremely well. Courses like Kearney Hill, Old Silo, Gibson Bay, Dale Hollow, and Lassing Pointe aren't necessarily world beaters, but I can't imagine anyone walking off 18 and feeling like they didn't get their money's worth at any of them.

Matt, I think Lassing's lack of inclusion has a lot to do with the heavy concentration of voters in the Lexington and Louisville areas. There just weren't enough guys who had played Lassing to get its holes the votes needed for a win. As mentioned before, I think it should have won for hole 4. But it strikes me that another issue it had is that its best holes ran into juggernauts. Lassing's 6th is strong, but wouldn't have a chance against the clifftop tee shot of Old Silo's 6th in a contest that rewards wow factor so much. Lassing's 18th is pretty cool with the 100 yard deep green, but Cherry Blossom's 18th was always going to win with all its sand and water and rare centerline hazards. As for the others you mention, Gibson Bay might be my favorite municipal facility anywhere but I can't think of a hole that stands out. It's more just a very solid course and wonderful facility and value. The Bull (now known as Boone's Trace National Golf Club *insert eyeroll here*) garnered a few nominations, but couldn't get the votes needed to win a spot in the eclectic list.

As for Mahan Manor, it was sold after being open for 4 months and became Blackfish Golf Club. It lasted maybe a year or two after that before shuttering for good. I don't know a ton about it otherwise and never played there before its closure.

Nigel, I still haven't played Heritage Hill myself but 2 was one of the holes where I had a hard time choosing my vote. The best I've played among the state's publics is probably the one at Hidden Cove, but that's really just a solid par 4 and nothing special. I think a general preference for downhill par 3s that are reasonably scenic was enough to put Heritage Hill over the top in voting.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »
Jason,

Off topic, but do you have any idea how GC of the Bluegrass is doing?

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »

:o

Gotta love it , a direct insult about ones preferences doesn't even elicit a reply  now that's manning up!

You go Jason !  Thanks for the pics
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:47:07 AM by archie_struthers »

Adam Warren

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »
Jason,

My first thoughts were that you either have poor taste in what is good architecture or that Kentucky public golf follows the "one and done" philosophy.   Have you ever played Audubon Park?

Have you read the part of the title and subsequent references to public?  Audubon is private and I played it a couple times last year.  What about Audubon would you like to reference in this thread about Kentucky public golf?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:48:26 AM by Adam Warren »

Adam Warren

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
I would certainly agree on 2 and 9 at Audubon Nigel.  8 is not good.  6 is odd from the "back" or "right" tee.  As with the name of the golf course, they could do well with some tree trimming/removal.

Several on the list that I have my issues with.  Of course 4 at ER is awful.  13 at ER I can live with, but still nothing special.  I think many voters were too focused on water and hazard features at par 3's especially, but also other holes. 

There are an awful lot of Cherry Blossom haters on the board for them to have won so many holes.  The only one I might disagree with is 17.  It is a unique hole for sure, but I am not a huge fan.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
Jason,

My first thoughts were that you either have poor taste in what is good architecture or that Kentucky public golf follows the "one and done" philosophy.   Have you ever played Audubon Park?

Have you read the part of the title and subsequent references to public?  Audubon is private and I played it a couple times last year.  What about Audubon would you like to reference in this thread about Kentucky public golf?

I was referencing Audabon State Park's nine hole course in Henderson as I believe JakaB was as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:07:01 AM by Nigel Islam »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »
I was referring to Audubon State Park in Henderson.  My flatlander friends claim it to be the hilliest course they have ever played.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
Matt, I haven't been out to GCotB in... 7 years I think. The last reviews I've heard were positive, and I can't imagine the course would have too much trouble given that it's part of the McQueen family of courses that are slowly monopolizing public golf around Central Kentucky. There aren't really any public courses in Kentucky that are thriving - the price point for golf is just too low to turn much profit thanks to copious municipal course offerings in the major cities - but McQueen buys a new one every few years and seems to be doing well and expanding.

John, how does Audubon Park compare to Shawnee Lookout? The state parks system has some amazingly hilly nine-hole courses, several concentrated in Northern Kentucky near me. You, Nigel, and I should do a home-and-home this year on some of these places where we spend $20 total on green fees and $140 on booze. General Butler in Carrolton is one option near me, as is Lester George's nine-holer at Kincaid Lake. I made the mistake of walking the latter last year and ended up with a displaced cuboid bone.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
Jason,

John,

Kentucky has poor public golf and additionally, has poor private golf. Having grown up in the state, there is not a whole lot of "must sees" in the state.

You obviously haven't played Idle Hour, Valhalla, Olde Stone, Louisville CC, Hurstbourne, Champion Trace, Triple Crown or Traditions plus many others?

Adam Warren

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Pete,

I thought the same on the private courses. We have better privates than we get credit for.  The only one most people know much about is Valhalla because it gets all the news, but I know we have multiple solid courses, many of which you have listed and I will throw in a couple others I have heard great things about in Big Spring and Keene Run.  I have always been intrigued about Spring Valley as well, so I don't know if you have any insight on that one. 

As for the mention of GCotB, I don't know much about how things are out there.  It seems like on GKL there is one check in a year there, and things seem to be fine there.  Conditions usually get rated appropriate to price.  I believe they made some changes to some routing many years ago, but have not seen them.  I only played it once after they changed the name from Widows Watch.  Always thought they should have kept that name.  Although GCotB has be better than The Bull going to "Boone's Trace National Golf Club."  Unbelievable they came up with that one....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
Jason,

I have not played Audubon myself but having driven by I doubt that it could possibly be as hilly as Shawnee. Plus Audubon doesn't have the view of the faux nuclear cooling towers.   Shawnee is the only public course that I recall playing in Kentucky and it was fantastic. We need to meet somewhere sometime and expand my horizons.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
Jason,

Off topic, but do you have any idea how GC of the Bluegrass is doing?

I played one round at Golf Club of the Bluegrass in spring 2012 and it was a fun course.  I don't remember any truly standout holes, but there was a decent amount of variety.  To me, it would be a solid go to course that you could play 20 times a year if you lived close by.  The kind of course that doesn't get much talk around here, but makes up the majority of rounds people play.

I was out there on a Saturday afternoon during the NCAA tournament and Kentucky was playing.  Every single cart had a radio going and you could hear people cheering when the Wildcats made a play.  If you can fill up your course in Lexington during a Kentucky game you must be doing pretty well, right?

mark chalfant

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the list.   Ive not played in Kentucky  yet.  Are  there 1or 2 public layouts that Perry Maxwell designed in Kentucky or TN ?

C. Sturges

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 01:47:16 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for the pictures!  You have made one northerner want to go and play lots of public and maybe some private courses in Kentucky.  Please let me know if there is going to be a GCA day/days in Kentucky.  I would love to join you all for some hilly golf!
chris

Nigel Islam

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the list.   Ive not played in Kentucky  yet.  Are  there 1or 2 public layouts that Perry Maxwell designed in Kentucky or TN ?
n

Kentucky Dam State Park is a late Press and Perry
Lincoln Holmstead, I think they did some green work.
Princeton CC is a very low security CC with nobody working there(I called and then I think bogey trespassed a few weeks later. Recommend the just show up) that Perry routed 9 possibly just from a topographic map as a favor to his hometown.
Rolling Hills in Paducah which is a CC I want to play BC of their Maxwell origin
A myesteryear Louisville course nobody has identified.

I would not recommend a trip for any of the first three longer than my 2 hours, but certainly decent courses. I enjoyed them. I am not aware of Perry doing anything in the Volunteer state.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Jason,

John,

You obviously haven't played Idle Hour, Valhalla, Olde Stone, Louisville CC, Hurstbourne, Champion Trace, Triple Crown or Traditions plus many others?

I would agree with Pete, Idle Hour is excellent and ranks right up there with Valhalla. really enjoyed LCC as well.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Matt, I haven't been out to GCotB in... 7 years I think. The last reviews I've heard were positive, and I can't imagine the course would have too much trouble given that it's part of the McQueen family of courses that are slowly monopolizing public golf around Central Kentucky. There aren't really any public courses in Kentucky that are thriving - the price point for golf is just too low to turn much profit thanks to copious municipal course offerings in the major cities - but McQueen buys a new one every few years and seems to be doing well and expanding.

John, how does Audubon Park compare to Shawnee Lookout? The state parks system has some amazingly hilly nine-hole courses, several concentrated in Northern Kentucky near me. You, Nigel, and I should do a home-and-home this year on some of these places where we spend $20 total on green fees and $140 on booze. General Butler in Carrolton is one option near me, as is Lester George's nine-holer at Kincaid Lake. I made the mistake of walking the latter last year and ended up with a displaced cuboid bone.

Audabon is very, very hilly. It might be as hilly a course as I have played. Have to give that some thought. The seventh there would be a hole you would enjoy as one of those holes that is so awful you can learn stuff from it. The 5th is close to that as well I usually have fun for my single digit greens fee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back