News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

in May and need information from locals or those otherwise in the know.  Booking in advance required?  I will be in the Mull of Kintyre May 4-7,
on Islay May 7-11, and in the Outer Hebrides May 12-15.  I am also thinking about playing Prestwick and Western Gailes toward the end of the month when I complete the loop and return to Glasgow. 

While this is primarily a golfing adventure, I would also welcome advice from the knowledgeable about other things to do on this adventure.  Games with GCAers also welcome.

Regards and thanks in advance for the, I am sure, forthcoming advice, admonitions, etc.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Adam Lawrence

While in Kintyre the Springbank whisky distillery tour is great. It's one of the few distilleries that still malts its own barley. Great place.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

RJ_Daley

I can't wait to hear the details of this tour.  Take pics!  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

Way to make us all jealous.
 :'(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Colin Macqueen

Steve,

Rug up my good man! Rug up!

My heart's in The Islands!

Slainte!

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jud_T

Steve,

Please fill us in on any and all details of this trip.  This is probably at the top of my to-do list.  I will only say that if at all possible to hit Prestwick on the way back, I'd try to make that happen.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Crowley

Steve,
You'll enjoy both Preswick and W. Gailes if the logistics work out.

I have no specific advise about the Hebrides but will be hiking them from bottom to top in the second week of June.
Planning to play Askernish on 9 June.

My 10 days of golf prior to that will be at St. Andrews and Dornoch.

If you have any tips for me after your Askernish experience, they would be most welcome.
Cheers,
John

Jon Wiggett

Steve,

I doubt you will need to pre book at Marchrihanish though not sure about Mac Dunes. From experience you will be able to walk on at Dunaverty, The Machrie and Askernish as these courses are quite even at the busiest of times. However the easiest way to be sure is to call a head. I hope you have a blast playing these courses but that is some mileage you got there.

Jon

Eric Smith

What a great trip you have planned, Steve. I heartily recommend the cullen skink at the Old Clubhouse Pub there at Machrihanish. So good you'll want to have it before and after you play!

Marty Bonnar

Steve, sounds like a great trip. When in Machrihanish, definitely stay at the Ugadale Hotel either in a room or in one of the cottages if you're a group. It's right beside the first tee of the old course and they run shuttles around the bay to the Dunes all day. Are you planning on driving down there or flying from Glasgow?
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ward peyronnin

A Hokie Goes Abroad

Don't drop W Gailles ; I luvs it

Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael Whitaker

A Hokie Goes Abroad

Don't drop W Gailles ; I luvs it

Wardo

Maybe the best old locker room in all Scotland. Castle Stuart has the best new one!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sam Krume

in May and need information from locals or those otherwise in the know.  Booking in advance required?  I will be in the Mull of Kintyre May 4-7,
on Islay May 7-11, and in the Outer Hebrides May 12-15.  I am also thinking about playing Prestwick and Western Gailes toward the end of the month when I complete the loop and return to Glasgow. 

While this is primarily a golfing adventure, I would also welcome advice from the knowledgeable about other things to do on this adventure.  Games with GCAers also welcome.

Regards and thanks in advance for the, I am sure, forthcoming advice, admonitions, etc.

If you are looking to stay on islay, may I recommend http://www.theoldexcisehouse.com/
My old pro and his wife set up on islay a good few years ago and it is truly a wonderful spot to stay. If you do stay say hi to Ron

Steve Wilson

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice and the tips and keep them coming as the broad outlines are settled but specifics are still negotiable.  I suspected that the courses Jon mentioned would be easily accessible as a walk on but wanted to be sure.   I'm eventually coming back to the mainland in late May and will play once again along the northeast coast from my base at the Granite Villa in Golspie.  I intend to have at least a drink with David Tepper and look over his property with an eye toward renting it for a time in the summer of 2016. 

Ward,
I have to call your attention to the fact that while I am undoubtedly hokey, I am most assuredly not a Hokie, I'll leave it to Greg Tallman to explain the difference to you.  Nevertheless, your congeniality means that all is forgiven and you need not be watching your back at the BUDA this year.  Western Gailes is one of those places that has appealed and I think I will definitely put it on my schedule.

Eric,
Good to know about the cullen skink.  If you've never had your skink culled you haven't lived.  I'd like to say I'm something of a connoisseur of it, but I think the truth runs more to the gourmand end of the food consumption spectrum.

I'm on the road for the next week to Washington DC and onto Richmond but will be checking back in on a regular basis.  Thanks to everyone, and keep the information  coming. 

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

A further note to Ward about Hokie as Greg may be busy with ongoing celebration.

Mine is the mascot with the musket, the Hokie is a turkey.  Once again, I may be a turkey, but I don't proclaim it loudly.

To paraphrase your immortal summation of BUDA Netherlands when we were standing on the putting green at Royal Hague dealing with the seriously truncated flag sticks, "Why does Wilson have to make everything to obscure."

Regards and regards to your classmate Sterling.

Michael Graham

Steve,

I've been meaning to get across to the west coast for a return visit to Western Gailes for a while. If the dates work out I would delighted to drive through from Edinburgh to join you for a game.

Michael

C. Sturges

Steve,

Have a wonderful trip!  I did have of that last October and it was great.

I would check with the courses and make sure they do not have any outings, other wise I would not think you need to book in advance.  I would also check when outside play is allowed at Prestwick and Western Gailes.  If you have not played Prestwick, it is a must in my opinion!

I agree that the pub at Machrihanish is great!  I would also recommend going into Cambeltown.  On my last trip we stayed at the Machrihanish Caravan park and rented a single wide.  It was great, we all had our own room and it was nice having a kitchen and family room.  The caravan was also brand new!

If you are driving, remember everything takes longer than you would think, especially if you get some weather.  I would also check the ferry times, but would not think you need to book in advance.  We showed up in the morning and had no problems.  As others have said, Islay is the land of distilleries! The golf is pretty good also!

Take your rain gear and your camera, hope you do not need the rain gear!

Have a great trip and look forward to hearing about it!
chris

ps, I will pay you for the animal headcover from Machrihanish Dunes if you have the room!

James Boon

Steve,

How are you getting between these locations? This may or may not throw up a few side trips worth making?

I'm afraid to confess that though I'm pretty well travelled in Scotland, Island and the Mull of Kintyre are places I've not visited (yet).

However, the Outer Hebrides I do know. Will you be on South Uist exclusively for Askernish, or travelling further afield? Try to find time for:

UISTS & BENBECULA
- Get in touch with Askernish Chairman Ralph Thompson (some time of this Parish) who I've no doubt will look after you well.
- Great food can be had at Langias Lodge and fantastic smoked fish etc at The Hebridean Smokehouse http://www.hebrideansmokehouse.com/ at Clachan.
- You probably wont have time for a wildlife tour, but I can recommend someone if you have a spare day. We spotted saw every species of bird of prey on the island in our one day with this guy as well as otters, deer, the usual hebrides wildlife stuff. All stunning.
So thats golf, possible local hospitality, local food and stunning wildlife sorted, with the scenery as a backdrop. However IF you get further north...

HARRIS & LEWIS
- Visit the stone circle at Callanish http://www.callanishvisitorcentre.co.uk/index.php/features
- Visit the broch at Dun Carloway http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_102
- Play golf at Isle of Harris GC, I drove past it without time to play, and regret not playing! http://www.harrisgolf.com/
- Search out the Blackhouses village at Gearrannan http://www.gearrannan.com/history.html
- Plenty of stunning white beaches but perhaps the most stunning is at Camas Uig on the west coast, which is of historical interest for in 1831  a medieval chess set was discovered dating back to the 12th Century probably of Norwegian origin.

Here endeth my usual "don't rush around just playing golf in Scotland, but slow down and savour the hospitality, views, wildlife, food and history" lesson.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom_Doak

HARRIS & LEWIS
- Visit the stone circle at Callanish http://www.callanishvisitorcentre.co.uk/index.php/features
- Visit the broch at Dun Carloway http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_102
- Play golf at Isle of Harris GC, I drove past it without time to play, and regret not playing! http://www.harrisgolf.com/

I will second all of these.  Harris is a beautiful spot.

jeffwarne

Play Shiskine and Carradale on the way over if taking the ferry across to Machrihanish
seems like you might be a day too long in Islay (now that would be a nice problem to have!) with so much ground to cover and so much else to see depending upon how you plan to get from the Outer Hebides from Islay (lots of remote gems along the way)

edit:and now I see others have suggested the same with better specifics
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Wilson

James,

Thanks for the list and the reminder to stop and reach into the gorse.  This trip is planned as the first of two as I hope to return next year with a companion who isn't able to make it this year.  When she is free there will be a lot more hiking and less golf.  Additionally, next year I plan on doing Mull, Iona, Fingal's Cave and maybe even some of the small islands. By all means shot me the name of the guide for the wildlife tour.  I'm planning four nights in the Uists.  I wanted to allow extra time in case I'm presented with impossible rather than merely challenging weather for golf.  And if I have good weather well I suppose I could always play Askernish again.
I'm at sucker for the stone circles, especially the ones you can get up close and personal with. 

Jeff,

I thought I would Arran and thus Shiskine next year.  As I said there will be less it less doesn't mean no golf.  Carradale is an addition I hadn't thought but I will add it to my growing To Do List.

Tom and James,
Nice to hear good things about the course on Harris.  I had wondered if it was worth a look.  Although chances are if I have the flubs and see flags I'll probably play. I think I will extend my planned stay there for a day or two.  Had the good fortune of meting a couple from Stornoway while at a B & B near Edinburgh last year.   I intended to look them up and then catch the ferry to Ullapool the next.  BTW, there's a nine holer at Ullapool that has some quirk and a couple of cool holes.  If you're there and you have your clubs in the trunk and everyone else is shopping you might as well.

I see I have such a fortuitous and appropriate typo in the first sentence of the previous paragraph I don't have the heart to correct it. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes...

That's all for now.  Thanks guys.

Adam Lawrence

I haven't played Scarista (Isle of Harris), but I've been past a couple of times, and it's a really beautiful spot.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back