News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

If you play golf to get better at golf
« on: March 22, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
The new TW Nike ad is good....
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7eDz/nike-golf-tw15-clubhouse-featuring-tiger-woods

hmmmm....I like it..what do the goobs say...that philosophy could mend a lot of broken clubs...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCowan

Re: If you play golf to get better at golf
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
Mike,

That was a minimalist post and epic at the same time. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
It's not "all about the hang"?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
The commercial is missing pics of architectural geeks ooohing and ahhhing at old aerial photos of the formerly tree-less course in the men's locker room.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
It's not "all about the hang"?

left hung or right hung??

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »
If I were their target demographic, this commercial would be halfway there in terms of reaching me.

Showing Tiger skipping the clubhouse is great. But then they need to show him skipping the driving range and...you know...going out and playing golf.

They could call it "If you play golf to be playing golf".

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
If you play golf where you are allowed to wear metal spikes, you are already pretty damn good at golf...  and probably can wear them in the CH as well.  And, you probably can afford the cost of golf and the added fees/cost that come with the fancy CH.  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
The commercial is missing pics of architectural geeks ooohing and ahhhing at old aerial photos of the formerly tree-less course in the men's locker room.

Check again about 11 seconds in.

I believe he changed his shoes in the parking lot, cue the outrage.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:55:45 PM »
Shackelford's quote today is perfect....

I would suggest, however, that no money be lent for constructing an elaborate clubhouse. The first club of which I was a member had only a hundred dollar hut as a clubhouse and beer and sandwich luncheons, yet we got as much health and happiness out of it as any other. ALISTER MACKENZIE
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
I'm sure Nike has heard from the CMAA... ;D ;D ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
Maybe he should have been working on his short game in that commercial.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
It was an effective ad in giving me the creeps -- I now know what J Alfred Prufrock felt like in all those rooms where succesful women (and men) would come and go, talking of Michelangelo.

Peter

edit - tyop!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:55:29 PM by PPallotta »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
It was an effective ad in giving me the creeps -- I now know what J Alfred Pufrock felt like in all those rooms where succesful women (and men) would come and go, talking of Michelangelo.

Peter

Was that the Nike ad or the Cadillac ones?

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »

It was an effective ad in giving me the creeps -- I now know what J Alfred Pufrock felt like in all those rooms where succesful women (and men) would come and go, talking of Michelangelo.

Peter

I never thought I'd see a TSE reference on a golf architecture website,but  it was a peach of a comment.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
If I were their target demographic, this commercial would be halfway there in terms of reaching me.

Showing Tiger skipping the clubhouse is great. But then they need to show him skipping the driving range and...you know...going out and playing golf.

+1.  And if Nike really wanted to boost golf participation and sell more golf merchandise, that's where their ad should have gone.  Consistent, too, with Nike's "Just Do It" slogan.  Like Brent, I play golf to play golf. (And, by the way, a modest club house to visit after a round isn't so bad.)  If you play golf to get better, that's fine if you're a professional and that's how you make a living.    Otherwise, golf should be relief from what you should be spending your energy on to get better -- your real job.  I think more folks would stick with golf if the emphasis was on just playing.  If getting better is the goal, success for many will be impossible to come by.  And even those that do will still be frustrated because there's always the next level.  I keep thinking back to long, long ago when I was a kid.  We'd come home after school and play basketball.  We weren't playing to get better, though over time and growth, we did.  We were just playing to play.

P.S. - It's "Prufrock," not "Pufrock," I believe.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:17:57 AM by Carl Johnson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »
I was given a pair of the shoes in the ad and the point is that Nike is returning more to a golfing shoe than last years golf shoe.  Previously the shoe was 100% nubs much like the famous Ecco "Freddie Couples".  Nike has gone to a hybrid of nubs and soft spikes.  It is a more serious shoe aimed at people who want to score better while sacrificing comfort.  The loud clicks on the pavement tried to drive home that point.

I wish they would have stayed with the 100% nub option as this weekend I was forced to go home and change shoes before church.

I'm glad Alister Mackenzie enjoyed his $100 hut but it might be asked what his wife thought of the arrangement. The clubhouse in the video is clearly a club where you can stash the wife while you have a few laughs with your buds.  Looks like fun.  I have never been in a space with my wife where I wished it were smaller.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:32:25 AM by John Kavanaugh »

DFarron

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Fellas....the spirit of this commercial is excellent! As someone who makes his living in the golf business, I applaud any promotion that focuses on working on one's game and playing. I also loved the commercial with Arnold Palmer that urges players to "swing YOUR OWN swing"
Do players need to improve their own swing?...Absolutely! But there is so much extraneous crap that we need to get back to the more simple concepts of the game .
When I ask my students the purpose of the game I get a multitude of responses but never the correct one, which is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes!

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

We'd come home after school and play basketball.  We weren't playing to get better, though over time and growth, we did.  We were just playing to play.

Tiger needs to take a page out of your book.
Because attempting to "get better" hasn't been working for him for a LONG time, though his now defunct miracle short game bailed him out through the Haney era of "getting better"(which is now 6-7 years in the rear view mirror as well)

and the game would be a lot more fun if more of the participants would PLAY, rather than spending inordinate amounts of their time and patience (and others) trying in vain to "get better"  (and this coming from a teacher ;))
Of course, once they "just played" many of them would get better.

I'm kind enough on my fellow competitors when I bowl not to inflict 7 practice swings and an elaborate caddy talk followed by a elaborate preshot routine from my mental coach.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:12:40 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
Why are all the ladies outside?  Is that quassi with a scotch in his hand at the 15 sec mark?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
Golf is a game not unlike the proverbial hikers faced with an angry bear in the woods.

Some golfers think the purpose of the game is to outrun the bear. Others only feel the need to outrun their buddy.

The problem with the former perspective is that the bear will always be gaining on you no matter how fast you learn to run. But if you try sometimes, you just might find you can outrun the other guy.

P.S. Apropos Jeff's comment I'll really stretch the metaphor and say that even a Tiger can never outrun the Bear!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:54:20 AM by Brent Hutto »

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
What's wrong with playing golf to get better at golf? To me, practice and competition is what makes the game interesting and fun. The better I play, the more enjoyable it is.

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
What's wrong with playing golf to get better at golf? To me, practice and competition is what makes the game interesting and fun. The better I play, the more enjoyable it is.

+1

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
Mike,

I just joined a private club.
It will be the first time I will have actively made "any" effort to work on my game since my early 20's
I choose to focus on my work.

I plan not only to play, but to practice too.
... so we shall see!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:48:49 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »

+1

nothing wrong with it at all, as long as one accepts that 50% of the time one plays worse than "average", and can still have fun on the course when that occurs.
I've found players outwardly obsessed with improvement (can) make the least enjoyable playing companions.
NGAS is a good mantra, and one that has brought much pleasure to many of my students.

MCirba

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »

Check again about 11 seconds in.

Buck,

Vintage paintings of golf holes are NOT the same as old, treeless historic aerials.   

On the golf architecture geek scale, the painting maybe rates a 2...you should hope to view it with a six pack in a scramble, while a good vintage aerial...well, we're talking leg tingling 10 where if you miss even one hole you've missed something!  ;)  :D

Believe me, I know firsthand.   :-\
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back