News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Cape Wickham Photos - Wow
« on: March 21, 2015, 02:20:10 AM »
Yesterday, I had the great fortune of spending the day at the eagerly anticipated Cape Wickham.

We boarded a small aircraft from Melbourne and flew over Port Phillip Bay and out to Bass Straight. One hour later, we were flying over the Cape Wickham site and touched down on King Island. The 30 minute road journey to Cape Wickham was full of anticipation and when we arrived, jaws dropped at the astounding beauty of the spectacular and unique site.

In the recent thread titled "Cape Wickham Article from Darius Oliver" I made the following comments upon my return to Melbourne last night;

In brief;

1. The scale of the property is immense. Photos do not do it justice.

2. The course has been designed for the wind - there is plenty of width.

3. I'm not sure there is another golf course that calls upon as many heroic golf shots than what one finds at Cape Wickham; 1, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17 and 18.

To elaborate my third comment, most of these holes provide easier lines of play for the less skilled, shorter hitter or simply the less brave. Some of these holes, however, asks you to hit the shot. Some of the worlds great courses ask these questions of us and when you pull off that shot, you feel a great deal of satisfaction and accomplishment.

I managed to capture many photos during the day, where we played holes 1-18 and then 1-6 and 10-13 again. I hope these photos capture Cape Wickham in a manner that will enhance your desire to visit this amazing site.

Aerial Views

Course Routing

1st hole

4th hole

5th hole

8th hole

9th hole

10th hole]

11th hole

12th hole

14th hole

15th hole

16th hole

17th hole

18th hole

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:54:46 AM by Ben Jarvis »
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

David_Elvins

Re: Cape Wickham Photos - Wow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:44:29 AM »
Looks OK.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:26:38 AM »
 :o
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:41:29 AM »
Pretty impressive. From the aerial photos it looks like there'd be space for quite a few more courses. Thanks for posting Ben.
atb

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
wow indeed! I need this in my life!

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Who said views on golf courses are overrated anyway?  Oh yeah, me.   :-X :-X :-X

How is the wind there compared to, say Bandon?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:22:32 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
Breakfast ball has been called.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
Looks awesome!
H.P.S.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »
Very nice.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »
Ben,

Did you get a chance to see Ocean Dunes on your trip over?  While not as far along as CW, what has been completed is impressive. Graeme Grant is doing great work there. To have two courses of this high caliber on the same small island will be amazing.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Ben,

Thanks for all the photos and comments on the course. I enjoy hearing everyone's comments, both good and bad.

When I was over a couple weeks ago, I played in a light northerly breeze, near gale from the SW, and gale winds out of the SW.  Each day the golf was fun and offered lots of options, depending on your ability and aggressiveness. On the third, I hit from 5i to driver! due to wind - plenty of room and fun each time. 

The wind and strength of it will really change clubs and options on many holes due to the diverse angles and terrain. 

I look forward to hearing Michael W-P's take on the course in a couple weeks.

Cheers
Mike

Michael Graham

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Holy Moly.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
Mike,
Love the low profile look of the course.
Any concerns with erosion on 18?
Only critique is the view of the path on 16. No other way to circulate? Or was it viewed as a feature?
Everything else looks so organic, untouched. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 08:58:35 PM »
Oh my goodness....that looks Absolutely amazing....Mike DeV may be awaiting my review but that pales into how much excitement I have for going there.
I was thrilled before now I am beyond containment, thank you Ben, but  I have Metro et al to see before  I get there...my oh my I don't deserve this😉

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
Congratulations Mike!  Having experienced the wind at Barnbougle I can only imagine how much width is needed for this course.  It looks like it has been there forever.

Is the grow in going ok?  It appears a bit rough at this stage but I suspect that is normal for a new course.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »
Are 10 and 11 homages to 5 and 6 at New South Wales?  From pictures they seem to bear some resemblance.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
Congratulations Mike the place looks amazing (as I always knew it would be).
I hope everyone gets on board and supports this place. It is a massive induction into Australian Golf.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 12:24:56 AM »
Such a buzz to see this come to fruition. I can't wait to finally get there. 
@Pure_Golf

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
Ben,

Did you get a chance to see Ocean Dunes on your trip over?  While not as far along as CW, what has been completed is impressive. Graeme Grant is doing great work there. To have two courses of this high caliber on the same small island will be amazing.

Daryl,

Unfortunately I only caught a glimpse of Ocean Dunes. I'm hoping to get back down there later this year.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
Who said views on golf courses are overrated anyway?  Oh yeah, me.   :-X :-X :-X

We had a three club wind on Friday. I believe it was on the stronger side of their average wind.

Josh Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
Mike,

Fantastic Variety here in the Routing.  Can't wait to see it in person some day. Cheers.

Josh

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »

Jud, I can not help to be a smart ass, but I'd say if the wind is 25mph gusting to 40 at Bandon, it will be the same in OZ except perhaps to convert into Knots to yield 28kph gusting to 46... otherwise, the wind is the same.   :)

Obviously, the main comparison has to go to contour/slopes/elevation change through the green on various holes, turf firmness and species, and width.

Jason, that an excellent catch on the similarity of CW 10/11 to 5/6 at NSW.  I reckon the rightish  bunker on approach to 10  CW is on the other side than the leftish approach bunker perhaps set further from green at 5 NSW.  But, while one would need to see CW in the flesh, I'd say NSW might be more dramatic due to the rock outcroppings behind 5 green where 6 tees are located.  But, it would seem CW has more hole after hole drama by the sea.

I haven't seen any photos yet of CW that include views of wallabies or other wild life, including the lemon bellied Tiger Snake.  Has anyone spotted them on the property?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:15:17 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
WOW!

Every hole looks incredible but holes 9-12 look outstanding! Whenever we finally make it to Oz it's going to have to be a month long trip.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
Mike DeVries:

Congratulations on the Cape Wickham project!

I'm curious about one thing. Before you began working on the routing plan or other aspects of the design, did you decide on some overall guiding principals, specifically based on the site itself rather than your general golf architecture design philosophy?

Thanks!
Tim Weiman

Luke Eipper

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 06:15:52 PM »
Wow. The course looks amazing Mike and Darius. I can't wait to see later in the year.

Thanks for the photos Ben. Your pictures really demonstrate the topography of the site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back