News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

I have enjoyed my public golf experience in the state of Florida. The typical image of Florida golf is a triple threat of cart paths, houses, and gratuitous use of water hazards. In my places, especially the swampy coastal areas like Sarasota and Naples, this is sadly true. But venture off the beaten path a bit where the concentration of out-of-state plates is a bit lighter, you will find a motley mix of fun golfing experiences.

My top 10 so far:

1. Streamsong Blue. It gets the Red by a nose in my book, mainly because of the greens. I wrote in another thread: "The beauty of the greens at SS Blue are that Doak always gives you enough rope to either climb out of a hole or hang yourself. It's up to the golfer how they want to use that rope." Also, I do not remember playing a better final four holes.

2. Streamsong Red. Also tremendous, obviously. I really dig the stretch from 7 to 11, and 14 is my favorite par three on the property.

3. World Woods Pine Barrens. Call me a Kool-Aid drinker, but I think it's a very cool golf course. The front nine in particular is a ton of fun, and the short four at 15 is a blast as well. I also prefer the rugged scruffy look of today to the blinding white sandy I see in course photos from the early 90s.

4. World Woods Rolling Oaks. This one came way up in my book on a second play, and for now it's only a notch below the PB. The grand par five 3rd is the highlight of the front nine, and the back nine is one solid hole after another with two great short par fours at 12 and 17. I even enjoy the controversial 18th hole, which I think has one of the best green settings on the property. The front nine at PB and the back nine at RO would make for a tremendous 18 holes.

5. Brooksville Country Club. A great set of par fives, unexpected elevation change, and a quarry make this one a treat. But don't tell anyone I told you about it.

6. Belleview Biltmore. My favorite Ross course I've played in Florida (strangely, I have not been invited to Seminole yet). The par threes are the highlight here, ranging from the low-lying third to the volcano 15th. It's also an intimate routing with a puzzling set of greens, and the two finishing holes make you pucker up at just the right moment in the round. I just hate the carts-only policy for non-members. Grrrr.

7. Dunes at Seville. Technically, it is just called Dunes, but I prefer the Seville suffix to distinguish it from a gaggle of courses with the same name. This would probably be higher on my list if it were not for the abysmal conditioning, which is a minor factor but a factor nonetheless. I've played several mediocre courses from Fart Hills but this one is top-notch. I especially like the back to back par fives to finish, both of which have absolutely wicked greens. Play it when you're in Brooksville, and suspend your disbelief about the conditioning to enjoy a fun architectural show.

8. Deltona. Lots of fun golf out here, especially because of the big action on the elevation changes and complete absence of water hazards.The short fours at 8, 15, and, yes, 18 are highlights. However, this is one of the worst public golf experiences I've ever had, period. It shouldn't factor into the discussion here, but it does. Get it together up there in Brevard County.

9. Fort Myers Country Club. I really dig the Steve Smyers re-do here, and his completely original par five 11th is great. You also some epic green complexes that test your short game with extreme prejudice. But the drawback here will always be that the course is shoehorned into 100 acres. This makes for some awkward moments. Also, the manmade ponds all over the property are just plain ugly.

10. Cleveland Heights Composite Course. Lakeland stand up! I debated a few courses for this spot, which I left open for the unloved but charming public course that reminds of that girl Jagger was talking about in "Far Away Eyes." Heights took it for me, but it did so with a bit of an asterisk: the general golfing public can't (usually) play the course I'm talking about it here. The A nine contains 7 of 9 original Flynn holes (the other two that originally went back and forth from the Yacht Club are long since buried), but the original second 9 is scattered among the B and C nines. But on an empty day, you can skip around and play the original 9-hole loop. What you get here is a course that forces all different types of shot shapes and contains some of those vexing Flynn greens. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

So what say you? What are your favorite publics (not Publix) in the state of Florida? Do you hate Florida golf, or, like me, do you think it has its bright spots?

P.S. Special thanks to Kyle Harris, who has guided me to 9 of the 10 courses on this list.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:15:31 PM by JNC Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Rees Milikin

Re: Top 10 Public Courses You've Played in the State of Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
No order here, but these are the ten I enjoy the most (still need to play some courses in the panhandle):

Palatka
Mission Inn - El Campeon
World Woods PB
World Woods RO
Deltona Club
Victoria Hills
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
Ocala Golf Club
Hyde Park

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Lyon,

I've heard The Dunes is closed again. Which is sad, but it's not something I've confirmed.

I think my list would mimic yours, except since Dunes is closed replace it with Southern Dunes.

Obviously, I'd flip the World Woods courses, and perhaps drop Pine Barrens below Belleview Biltmore but above Brooksville by a nose. There is more to seek out.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
Anyone like West Palm Beach muni?

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
Anyone like West Palm Beach muni?

Of those not mentioned, my list would include WPB, as well as Park Ridge and Ponte Vedra Ocean.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:07:06 PM by Mark Fedeli »
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:10:18 PM »
Harris,

I totally forgot about Southern Dunes. It's a nice swap with Dunes at Seville if that is indeed closed (although it's closed a few times before).

Mark F,
Ponte Vedra Ocean looks really cool. I still haven't played a Herbert Strong course (although Clearwater CC looks like it has potential). What's the best tactic for playing Ponte Vedra? I've seen it listed as "public access," but the website doesn't seem welcoming for non-resort guests.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Refreshing my recollection since I haven't been to Florida in awhile, I'd like to mention the following publics of note in no particular order:

North Palm Beach
Venetian Golf & River Club
Victoria Hills
Red Tail
University Park
Park Ridge

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
TPC Sawgrass
WW - Pine Barrens
Southern Dunes (?) - Haines City
Plantation - Fort Myers
River Hall
Old Corkscrew

The rest do not belong on a list - I have probably played 5-10 more and can't think of any that I would recommend.  I cannot remember Sarasota National or Veandah very well.   They might have been decent.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
Harris,

I totally forgot about Southern Dunes. It's a nice swap with Dunes at Seville if that is indeed closed (although it's closed a few times before).

Mark F,
Ponte Vedra Ocean looks really cool. I still haven't played a Herbert Strong course (although Clearwater CC looks like it has potential). What's the best tactic for playing Ponte Vedra? I've seen it listed as "public access," but the website doesn't seem welcoming for non-resort guests.

I stayed at the resort, but it was one of the best values I've experienced anywhere. Me and my buddy paid $230 total for a room and unlimited golf. The entire complex is excellent; it puts Bay Hill to shame. As far as the course, it was fast and firm with some great movement in the fairways and really well placed hazards. Fantastic greens too. I'm always surprised it doesn't get more respect. The course was empty on a Saturday afternoon in February, so maybe it's not impossible getting on without staying over.

Steve, glad to see another Park Ridge fan. Such a fun course and unlike anything else I've ever played in Florida.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:09:02 PM »
In order of value
Miami springs
Ocala gc
Deltona
Brooks vile
Ww
Ww
Dunes Seville
Stream song
Stream song
10? Lekerica,Pinecrest,Bartow,West palm beach
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:13 AM »
In order of value
Miami springs
Ocala gc
Deltona
Brooks vile
Ww
Ww
Dunes Seville
Stream song
Stream song

Come on, Lekarica?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
As usual Old Florida, the Panhandle, is ignored.   There's some decent golf up here in Baja Alabama.  Camp Creek, Shark's Tooth, Eglin AFB's Eagle and Falcon courses, the Hombre in Panama City......

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:27 AM »
In order of value
Miami springs
Ocala gc
Deltona
Brooks vile
Ww
Ww
Dunes Seville
Stream song
Stream song

Come on, Lekarica?
That was a bit of value/enjoyment play
For example I'd play Lekerica (conditioning warts and all) over a return to Isleworth (at comp + caddie) TPC (at retail)Doral (even if comped)
to name a few well knowns.
Victoria Hills-decent value but just not memorable if that helps with perspective.
But I like museum pieces and don't know what a shot value is.

fair enough Lekerica probably wouldn't be in anyone else's Top 10 in its condition but pretty good once you get through 1 and 2 and I go for enjoyment, not tests
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
Jeff, I hear what you're saying but I just couldn't see much of anything left at Lekarica. Certainly not to the point where I'd place it above, say, Pinecrest or Cleveland Heights.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
Another vote for El Campeon and, my home course, Ocala Golf Club. El Diablo closing was also a real loss to this list.

I really need to get over to Deltona..

Rees Milikin

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »
Capital City in Tallahassee is now public and if anyone has played there, I would like to know if it would make your top 10 public list in FL.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
Jeff, I hear what you're saying but I just couldn't see much of anything left at Lekarica. Certainly not to the point where I'd place it above, say, Pinecrest or Cleveland Heights.

Cleveland Heights was supposed to be on my list!
Ok out goes Lekerika

Ken Fry

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
No love for any of the PGA Golf Club courses?  I really enjoyed Dye's course there.  The old South Course (now called Wannamaker) was enjoyable.

Ken

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
Lekarica is the type of golf course which all of the so-called GolfClubAtlas Cognoscenti claim to value; yet when it comes to nut-cutting time, few actually take the time and effort to appreciate what it is, and what it very much could be given a little care and cash.

I try to play it twice a year or so. It's good for the golfing soul. The 9th is a cracker of a Par 5.  
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Lekarica is the type of golf course which all of the so-called GolfClubAtlas Cognoscenti claim to value; yet when it comes to nut-cutting time, few actually take the time and effort to appreciate what it is, and what it very much could be given a little care and cash.

I try to play it twice a year or so. It's good for the golfing soul. The 9th is a cracker of a Par 5.  

Lekarica has bones of a solid course.  Yeah the conditioning isn't any good, but it's worth playing and I guarantee you won't be disappointed based on what you pay to play the course. 

Now that Lake Wales CC is public, you can play two decent courses for close to under $50 bucks (walking) that are only a couple of miles from each other.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Thoughts on TPC Sawgrass?   I know it's expensive but take that factor out. 

I honestly think it's better than both Streamsong Red & Blue.  It's just really unique and I think its a strong representation of the best of Dye.

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
Rees,

I'm excited to play Lake Wales, Deltona, and Lekarica next winter!  This thread is great, but I don't want to think about winter for a long long time.  

Jeff,

Is Lekarica the Goat Hill of Florida?  The course that isn't maint. well and has much of the minimalism that is valued on GCA?  Is it the acid test for a maint buff?  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:19:03 PM by BCowan »

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Haven't played enough in Florida to have a list, but I did recently play Hyde Park in Jacksonville. Supposedly an old Ross that has been modified over the years. It used to host a Tour event in the 40s (Hogan made an 11 on the par 3 7th). The greens were like shag carpet, but they were good greens. The bunkering was unfortunate, but you can see the bones of a good course. And it was $20.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
Streamsong Blue
Streamsong Red
TPC Sawgrass
World Woods – Pine Barrens
Mission Inn - El Campeon
World Woods – Rolling Oaks
Brooksville CC
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
In roughly descending order:

Streamsong Blue
Streamsong Red
World Woods Pine Barrens
Old Corkscrew
Disney World Magnolia
Disney World Palm
Eastwood
Shell Point
Heron Creek
Bobcat Trail
Ft. Myers Country Club

I wanted to check out the work Steve Smyers did at Ft. Myers CC when we were there in February, but the redesign is proving popular, I guess. We couldn't get a tee time. The Disney courses are a holdover from a trip I made there more than 20 years ago, so I can't vouch for their quality today. Eastwood, Shell Point, Heron Creek and Bobcat are nothing special, but enjoyable enough on their own modest merits.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back