News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kris Shreiner

Re: James Finegan, Sr. Passes Away
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:19 AM »
Jim cast a long, impressive, and colorful shadow on Philly golf and beyond. His writing, in works both big and small, had depth, insight and a flair unique to the man he was. The GB&I offerings are among my most well-worn golf books. I have also given additional copies as gifts, or lent my copies to friends preparing for their treks.

Many posters, and all who knew him, recognize the absolute love affair with the game he enjoyed and shared with countless folks during his rich life. Jim was also a caddie at one time...imagine that. Wonder where the bug that infected him came from?
Yet another shining example of the " quality" that single, greatest source of golf's champions and difference makers  helped  mold.  Food for thought.

My sympathy to his family, and a tip of the flag from a fellow caddie.
Farewell Jim, and thank you for all you contributed to the game and the many lives you touched.

Respectfully,
Kris
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:40:00 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
Love his books. I called him once to ask permission to send books to be signed. Had a great hour long conversation. What infectious enthusiasm he had for the game. Gib is spot on with the Darwin comparison. RIP Mr Finegan, thank you for your many contributions to the game. A life very well-lived!
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

MCirba

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
One of my great regrets is that I never met Mr. Finegan in person, although like most here I have many of his books and therefore feel somehow that I know him.

His account of Cobb's Creek in his Centennial book of GAP set me searching for the truth about the origins and evolution of that course because he made it clear that he really didn't know all the details either.   If he didn't, I was pretty sure no one did.

Some years later a mutual friend told me he was going to get a copy of our voluminous Cobb's Creek history book to Mr. Finegan and I'm uncertain if that ever happened.   I like to think it did.

Somehow, I can imagine him looking at it and either saying, "are these guys crazy?", or like Rand Jerris, "my lord, what a copyright nightmare!"  

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
One of my great regrets is that I never met Mr. Finegan in person, although like most here I have many of his books and therefore feel somehow that I know him.

His account of Cobb's Creek in his Centennial book of GAP set me searching for the truth about the origins and evolution of that course because he made it clear that he really didn't know all the details either.   If he didn't, I was pretty sure no one did.

Some years later a mutual friend told me he was going to get a copy of our voluminous Cobb's Creek history book to Mr. Finegan and I'm uncertain if that ever happened.   I like to think it did.

Somehow, I can imagine him looking at it and either saying, "are these guys crazy?", or like Rand Jerris, "my lord, what a copyright nightmare!"  

Or after he lifted it:  "I need some Doan's!"
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

archie_struthers

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
 ;D

Mike C , I'm sure you and Mr Finegan would have been fast friends and if he got his hands on your book might know it as well,as you . You are kindred spirits in many ways!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:43:43 PM by archie_struthers »

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Archie, you're way too kind.   Thank you.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back