News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Roselle

James Finegan, Sr. Passes Away
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
It is with much sadness that I report on the passing of James Finegan, Sr.  Mr. Finegan was considered Philadelphia's golf historian and the book he penned for our Centennial is a classic.  I'm sure many have had the chance to read his books on the courses of Scotland and Ireland.  I personally will never forget the numerous times he would visit the GAP office and regal us with stories while researching the histories of Pine Valley GC and Aronimink GC.

http://gapgolf.org/charts.asp?sfile=static/archive/2015_james_finegan_sr_obit.html

David Stamm

Re: James Finegan, Sr. Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
Very, very sad news. His books on the courses in the UK are amongst my favorites. May he rest in peace.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
That is too bad to hear....although he lived a great golf-filled life!

I credit his books on Scotland, Ireland, and England with introducing me to the idea of overseas golf as a teenager, as I couldn't wait to run home from school to read where he played next.

A true hero to all of us armchair critics and golf trip planners!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
It is indeed a sad day for the golfing world, although it comes as little surprise for Jim was in failing health of late..

I had the great fortune to play with Jim several times around his beloved Philadelphia area clubs and can honestly say they were among the most memorable of all my rounds. Jim was kind, energetic, infectiously passionate, a walking encyclopedia and a sheer joy to spend any time with. His stories and anecdotes were always interesting and usually riveting. The man lived and breathed the game and it's venues and history was his plasma.

We've lost a great one, but I know his memory will live on among all of us who were fortunate enough to know him. Rest comfortably in that big library above. We'll miss you! :'(

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Nate Oxman

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing with Mr. Finegan at Llanerch in an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1958 PGA Championship held there. His storytelling was off the charts, but what impressed me even more was his ability to hit driver off the deck at age 77! RIP.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Jim at one of the Renaissance Cup events. Very nice man and, obviously, an excellent writer about golf courses. His books are a must have in any golf architecture library, but good luck trying to find a copy of his book on Philadelphia golf. I managed to do so a while back, but it sure wasn't easy.

Jim's writing deserves note for several reasons, but I will highlight just one. Far too often, when writing about a golf course, people describe how they played, what clubs they hit, what score they made, etc. in short, they think they are describing a golf hole, but they really aren't. They are simply telling us about their game.

Jim Finegan was unique, IMO, because he could include a description of playing the hole and still make his words be about the golf course, not the player.
Tim Weiman

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Never met the man, but his books are among my most treasured golf book collections. A wonderfully under-stated writer -- his criticisms of a course were always even-handed, and respectful. (I played some courses that I otherwise would not have, under his recommendations in his book, and found his reviews spot-on.) I always thought his writing was a throwback to an earlier era, where the ability to carry on civil discussions was the mark of a real gentleman. I'm sure he will be missed by those who knew him well.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
I wish we would have added an interview with him to the website.  His books served as travel companions and guide before I was aware of this website.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
I wish I could have met Jim. I reread his books regularly. In fact, I have given them to other guys as Christmas presents.  I will miss him even if I never met him.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:17:45 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
Great writer, impeccable researcher, and an editor's nightmare because he never wrote to the appointed space. Thank goodness. We are all the better off for having read him on Philly golf, on GB&I, on anything he touched.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
His books were and are a great resource!

RIP

Tom Dunne

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
I was Jim's editor at T+L Golf. He and I became good friends and played many rounds together over the last decade of his life, including Machrihanish and TOC in 2012, which I'm pretty sure was his final trip across the pond. We had a lot of laughs, and boy could he play, even well into his 80s. No one loved golf more than Jim. He was one of the best companions on the course you could ask for...if you hit a good shot you'd get:

"Never in your LIFE, sir...!"

I'm crushed right now and having trouble finding words, but I just feel so fortunate to have known him. He was, and always will be, a huge inspiration in my own life as a writer. Nate Oxman is right--he was a great storyteller, but there are just as many great stories *about* Jim. I hope to see some of you next week in Philadelphia to share them and celebrate his wonderful life.

Rest in peace.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »
Every word of his prose was beautifully, lovingly textured; after putting his books on Scotland and Ireland down, it was necessary to shake the sand out of my hair and pick the gorse thorns from my pant legs. Absolutely my favorite golf writer since Darwin himself. What a loss, but what a fantastic ride he had!  

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:30:01 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tom Dunne

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Brad Klein,

"1,500 words?! I need 1,500 words just to CLEAR MY THROAT!"

;D

Daniel Jones

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
I didn't know the first thing about golf in GB&I, aside from those on the Rota, until I picked up his books. Might be a good time to pull them off the shelf again.

Michael Blake

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
GAP feature video 'Philadelphia Golf Legends' on Mr. Finegan and his 'Centennial Tribute to Philly Golf' book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ioD3I3duHI&feature=youtu.be

Another GAP feature video about Mr. Finegan's early golf days, caddying, college career:        

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b88eWwqKDso&feature=youtu.be

He talks about being the #1 player for La Salle and beating Penn in 1951 before graduation.  My uncle was on Penn's golf team then, but maybe only a sophomore.  Will have to ask him if he has any recollections.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:24:09 PM by Michael Blake »

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 11:08:01 PM »
RIP James.
a big part of my Irish and Scottish travel pre internet and pre GCA.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
I got to know Jim when he called to ask if I could help supply photos for one of his course profiles for the USGA GOLF JOURNAL ... back in the early 1980's none of the golf photographers had been to Brancaster or Swinley Forest.  I ended up contributing the photos for several of his pieces there [and it was a nice payday at the time, too].

He was one of the most positive people I've ever met, and it was not hard to see that he was a natural fit for the advertising business!  And, as Tom says, he loved golf as much as anyone I've known.

My favorite memory of his golf was when he came to play Black Forest and Crystal Downs 18-20 years ago.  He could only hit the ball 175 yards but he could hit it on a rope.  He shot 75 or 76 at Black Forest, never missing a shot on a course everyone else thinks is impossible.  At the Downs, I remember he hit a solid drive on the short par-4 7th and then hit a great 3-wood to the front of the green ... where he was stymied by the ridge with the pin in the back right.  I think the word he used was "scandalous".  :)

I will really miss Jim Finegan.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Amarnek

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
Wayne Morrison asked me to post this video of Jim Finegan speaking at the 2006 Flynn Invitational @ Philly CC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlRe391q7M

Enjoy!

mark chalfant

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
I  heard Jim speak once, in 2007, it remains vivid  in my  mind. His thoughts about North Berwick, his humor, and his personal warmth were all enjoyable to experience,  for my friends and  I.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:30:16 AM by mark chalfant »

archie_struthers

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »

Spent more than a few a few afternoons looping for   Mr Finegan and must confess at first blush it felt like boot camp. Having plied my trade since age 11 , no doubt felt I had done my apprenticeship already . Thank  goodness hid it well and got a repeat test. .  It was akin to caddying for PJ Boatwright in many ways.  If you passed muster and were able to get in the circle a treasure trove of golf knowledge awaited you .

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and love of the game with so many , and God Bless the Finegan family .  RIP

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:16:40 PM by archie_struthers »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
Met the man once, in the PV clubhouse, where minutes before I had pulled my approach on 18 into the parking lot, taking out the rear window of a late model import. ( no joke.)
I had purchased a copy of his PV history book earlier, and Mr. Finnegan was kind enough to inscribe it.  He wrote:
To Joel---Wonderful to meet you on such a smashing occasion!

RIP Jim.

JC Urbina

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »
Sorry to hear the news, I had the chance to meet Mr Finegan while in the Philly area, he made me feel like we had know each other for years.

I regret not taking the time to spend more time around him, he had so much wisdom to offer.

My condolences to the Finegan Family.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
I read and reread his little books before, during and after my trips across the pond. They gave me the spirit to try GB&I travel as the first time 15 years ago it seemed daunting. May he rest in peace.

Greg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back