News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Euro-Dollar parity, good for golf in Europe.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 08:11:42 AM »
Ah Mark R.,

Alhambra!  Tricia and I spoilt ourselves rotten and stayed there for two nights last year! Just unforgettable.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60691.0.html

Cheers Colin

Granada is my favourite Spanish city. You still get a free tapa with every drink in the bars, and if you pick the right bar that'll mostly be extremely good seafood. The restaurants on the hill of the Albaicin, across the valley from the Alhambra, are a great place to eat dinner -- the views when the sun goes down are out of this world.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »
Adam, This is the clip I meant to illustrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqfkMgVaOeY

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 08:18:10 AM »
Did you stay in the Parador Colin?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Bill,

Are you driving around Spain? End of August can become quite crowded as people return home from the holidays!

What wineries are you visiting in Rioja? (I assume you are there for the wine!). I could help you with a couple of interesting visits if you are interested.

Regards,

Alfonso

David_Tepper

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
Seitz,

I've had a couple awesome vacations in Spain. Madrid and Seville are superb. Toledo is worth a tour. The Alhambra is spectacular. And Marbella, on the Costa del Sol, near Valderrama is phenomenal. Have fun!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »
Did you stay in the Parador Colin?

Yes Adam we did.... hence the utterly spoiled phrase!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 03:15:34 AM »
Some of you regular visitors to the UK/Ireland need to look at nesting tickets. I'm paying £1050 to fly to NY, San Diego and back from San Francisco in BA business class and Anerican Airlines First for the domestic leg. As flights are valid for a year you could fly USA-UK in August. Return on the UK/USA outward ticket in August. Next July fly the return leg of your UK/USA ticket to here then fly the return leg of your original USA/UK ticket back home to the USA. With a little advance planning you could save hundreds in zoo and literally thousands in business.
Cave Nil Vino

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 06:03:58 AM »
Why that is morally unconscionable, eh, Sir Sheehy! ;D

Bill Seitz

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
Bill,

Are you driving around Spain? End of August can become quite crowded as people return home from the holidays!

What wineries are you visiting in Rioja? (I assume you are there for the wine!). I could help you with a couple of interesting visits if you are interested.

Regards,

Alfonso

We are indeed going to Rioja for the wine (and the scenery too, I suppose).  My fiancee is a big Napa fan, and I've gone with her the last two years, and I've really enjoyed the tastings. We are staying in Logorono.  I'm not familiar with it, but I'm told it's right on the main square (or at least one of them), so there should be some places around there to check out.  Recommendations are welcome!  Feel free to message me.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Brian nesting is quite simple. If you flew 3 times a year New York to London and the tickets were $1500 return JFK-LHR but only $750 LHR-JFZ you'd do the following;

Trip A - return ticket JFK-LHR fly first leg say 1st Feb. $1500

Trip B - return LHR-JFK 7th Feb returning from JFK to LHR say 1st Jun. $750

Trip C - return LHR-JFK say 7th Jun return from JFK say 1st Sept. $750

Trip A - the return leg of the original ticket to JFK from LHR on 7th Sept.

Total cost for three returns $3000, saving $1500 for exactly the same flights, just needs a little forward planning. From Dublin via Heathrow to the USA on British Airways flights are usually 25-50% cheaper than starting in London.

Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
Ah Mark R.,

Alhambra!  Tricia and I spoilt ourselves rotten and stayed there for two nights last year! Just unforgettable.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60691.0.html

Cheers Colin

Granada is my favourite Spanish city. You still get a free tapa with every drink in the bars, and if you pick the right bar that'll mostly be extremely good seafood. The restaurants on the hill of the Albaicin, across the valley from the Alhambra, are a great place to eat dinner -- the views when the sun goes down are out of this world.

I think my favourite Spanish city remains Salamanca...although for big cities I prefer Madrid to either Barclelona or Seville.  The place that puzzles me is Cadiz...it should be far better than it is.  One other very cool place Cuidad Rodrigo.  They have a great Carnival of the Bull. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
Brian nesting is quite simple. If you flew 3 times a year New York to London and the tickets were $1500 return JFK-LHR but only $750 LHR-JFZ you'd do the following;

Trip A - return ticket JFK-LHR fly first leg say 1st Feb. $1500

Trip B - return LHR-JFK 7th Feb returning from JFK to LHR say 1st Jun. $750

Trip C - return LHR-JFK say 7th Jun return from JFK say 1st Sept. $750

Trip A - the return leg of the original ticket to JFK from LHR on 7th Sept.

Total cost for three returns $3000, saving $1500 for exactly the same flights, just needs a little forward planning. From Dublin via Heathrow to the USA on British Airways flights are usually 25-50% cheaper than starting in London.

Things must be really good at Number One!    ;D

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »
While looking through the GolfWeek website, I came across this article, which indicates that golf tourism in Ireland--especially from the United States--is indeed at record highs:

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jan/28/ireland-travel-us-visitors-world-/
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
For you seasoned international veterans of the currency exchanges.... would you expect a corresponding % rise in green fee, golf costs that would equalize the financial impact on one's budget?   I understand that Rep. of Ireland is Euro, and N.I. and G.B. are Pound.  I am imagining that a green fee at an Irish course that was E120-130, may rise to 200.   Would that be a correct assumption, or would the value of the current slide to parity be about a 30% savings from the Euro at its peak against the dollar?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Tepper

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
RJDaley -

I would be very surprised to see green fees in GB&I rise to offset the decline in the Euro & the Pound as you have mentioned, at least for the next year or two.

DT

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
Thanks David.  From what I can glean from commentators on CNBC, most think the E and $ will stay in relative parity for this year.  I'm thinking based on my personal health holding out and financials that this year may be my window for a return to Europe, GB&I.   My one and only previous trip was when there was parity in 2002 just after Italy joined the E from the Lira.  It was good value then, and I didn't return in part due to the 30% hit on exchange.   I imagine other punters like myself who dream of the chance to play golf on the "old sod" may be considering same.  But, I reckon the local golf course effect on number of rounds at slower CCFAD pace of time to play and less rounds available to  book may get crowded. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Tepper

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »
RJDaley -

Unless the golf courses of GB&I are overrun with foreign (American, Canadian, Australian, etc.) visitors this summer, I doubt there will be an aggressive increase in prices for the 2016 golf season. Remember, a sizable portion of visitor green fee revenue at the courses in GB&I comes from visiting GB&I golfers and golfers from continental Europe. A big increase in green fees would really hurt that trade.

DT 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
more good to know info, thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back