News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Euro-Dollar parity, good for golf in Europe.
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
With the dollar hitting a 12 year high against the Euro, it's expected Americans will flock to Europe this summer.  The dollar against the pound hasn't been quite the same but its still going to help.

There should be no reason that golf in Europe doesn't have a banner year.

Thoughts? 

Bill_McBride

Re: Euro-Dollar parity, good for golf in Europe.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
I suspect the outrageous air fares will eat up much of the savings!

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »

I have seen some outrageous fares, while some have been pretty reasonable. If you're flying out of major airports, like JFK or ATL, there are some very good deals if you're willing to connect in countries like Ireland and Denmark. I'm not sure if those types of deals appeal to the traveler who is spending thousands on a European golf trip, but they're still out there.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
I don't think many Americans golfers view continental Europe as a golfing destination. I doubt the typical American who has traveled to GB&I once or twice for a golf vacation could even name 3 or 4 golf courses on the continent.

Have the golf courses in Holland even been featured in an American golf magazine in the past 5-6 years?

Ireland may benefit a bit as it uses the Euro.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:34:53 PM by David_Tepper »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »
Ireland will definitely benefit!

As much as I am looking forward to Notts, it's a shame the Buda isn't in Ireland this year. It would have been a cheap trip.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Okula

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Ireland will definitely benefit!

As much as I am looking forward to Notts, it's a shame the Buda isn't in Ireland this year. It would have been a cheap trip.

That's right. The Republic of Irleand is on the Euro, so golf and Guiness are there at bargain rates.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »

I have seen some outrageous fares, while some have been pretty reasonable. If you're flying out of major airports, like JFK or ATL, there are some very good deals if you're willing to connect in countries like Ireland and Denmark. I'm not sure if those types of deals appeal to the traveler who is spending thousands on a European golf trip, but they're still out there.

Unfortunately I always start in Pensacola!  My son's fare to Edinburgh in May was $500 less than mine.  He flies from Houston.   

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:22:52 AM »
One big reason for the parity is that the European economy is getting sliced and diced.  That seems to me real bad for golf there.   

Steve Okula

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 01:57:58 AM »
European countries have been voting in policies guaranteed to stifle economic growth for decades. What surprises me is that it isn't already worse.

Living in Europe on the euro I haven't noticed things being any more difficult since the euro has devalued. Indeed, a lot of people are looking forward to being able to move European goods and services abroad more readily.

Imported turf equipment is more expensive, but that's the case every year regardless of currency fluctuations.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:59:49 AM »
Joel

Your whole premis seems to be that Americans make up the bulk or even a significant percentage of golfing visitors. Don't have any facts or figures to hand but I very much doubt that. I'd suggest the bulk of "visitors" will be home grown in which case golf in certain countries in Europe could continue to struggle as some countries in the Eurozone struggle to get out of the economic trough.

That said, me and my friends are very much looking forward to our trip to Spain in September with the exchange rate the best its been for 7 or 8 years.

Niall

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
That's funny, I was just looking up the latest exchange rate 5 min ago as This American has been enjoying wearing shorts and playing the best courses within an hour an a half of Lisbon, Portugal. Having a wonderful time with one more course to see! Cha-Ching$$$!!! 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
Joel

Your whole premis seems to be that Americans make up the bulk or even a significant percentage of golfing visitors. Don't have any facts or figures to hand but I very much doubt that. I'd suggest the bulk of "visitors" will be home grown in which case golf in certain countries in Europe could continue to struggle as some countries in the Eurozone struggle to get out of the economic trough.

That said, me and my friends are very much looking forward to our trip to Spain in September with the exchange rate the best its been for 7 or 8 years.

Niall

For Ireland, I seem to remember a figure last year that stated 16% of overseas visitors were from the US.... 44% were from the UK.... Along those lines.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »
Joel

Niall
Could be £1 = E1.50 by then Niall. It has been an amazing rise this year time, to buy property again if your a Britt! Golf at 50 Euro with a buggy is now a bargain for sunshine golf. Long haul flights are so expensive because of the 13 hour compliance laws, means a trolley dolley are effectively $500 dollars per flight and the pilots is probably $6000 per flight if they need 3.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
The cost of my flight to Ireland back in December broke down something like this:  $550 for the "ticket" and $650 for the various fees (landing fees etc) for a total plane ticket cost close to $1200.  Of course I'm flying from East Bumfuk, Montana and that adds several hundred to the cost as well.

But, planning to return in September, and real happy to see the Euro and Dollar reaching parity.  It will make everything cheaper!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Well, hopefully if the powers that be agree to the Mulranny / Carne / Enniscrone BUDA in September 2016, things will still be in your favour and we'll see a good contingent travelling...

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Airfares have dropped significantly lately, though still not cheap. Direct flight Newark to Edinburgh now just north of $800. Was around $1250. And yes, taxes fees and surcharges amounted to $474 of the $824 total tariff.

Don't forget to check IcelandAir. They do a terrific job.

Amazing to see the Euro down almost 30% in six months.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
My honeymoon will be end of August, beginning of September.  Flights to and from Spain and five nights in the Canaries are on points, but we're probably going to save a few hundred dollars on our hotel in Madrid, and I'd imagine similarly adjusted savings for La Rioja and Sevilla.  We're checking the rate every day and high fiving. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
The U.S. $ is now below $1.50 to the British Pound for the first time since May/June, 2010. The $ was above $1.70 to the Pound in early July, 2014.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
My honeymoon will be end of August, beginning of September.  Flights to and from Spain and five nights in the Canaries are on points, but we're probably going to save a few hundred dollars on our hotel in Madrid, and I'd imagine similarly adjusted savings for La Rioja and Sevilla.  We're checking the rate every day and high fiving. 

Seville is a fantastic city Bill. I hope you like late nights, seafood and pork products
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »

Seville is a fantastic city Bill. I hope you like late nights, seafood and pork products

Three for three!!  We're really looking forward to the honeymoon a heck of a lot more than the wedding, though we do have a certain GCA judge performing the ceremony, which should be fun.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
FWIW, golf.com posted a slideshow today of some of the best courses in Ireland (and Northern Ireland):

http://www.golf.com/photos/play-them-theyre-irish
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Steve Okula

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 06:00:55 PM »

Also, flamenco, olives, history, architecture, culture, language, sunshine, fiestas, sherry, tapas bars, friendly, down to earth people and bullfights. I lived there for three years and would move back in a heartbeat if I could.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
Steve

I attended the Feria de Abril in Seville, maybe 10 years ago now..it was a fantastic spectacle.  But to be honest, just wandering the old town is good fun...I love stopping in at bars for a fino and tapas.  Seville too is very good value considering the generally high quality of food and accomodation...maybe I should go back  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
Make sure also to see Cordoba and Granada. Book for the Alhambra in advance - tickets are timed. You could spend a week in Seville without seeing it all but, if you have time, hire a car and drive through one of the fantastic national parks. You might drive for a whole day without seeing another car.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
Ah Mark R.,

Alhambra!  Tricia and I spoilt ourselves rotten and stayed there for two nights last year! Just unforgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqfkMgVaOeY

Cheers Colin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:10:00 AM by Colin Macqueen »
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back