News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Interesting is an Interesting Word
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
It says so much, and yet so little. But I highlight it because I have found over the years that:

1. All manner of posters -- gca-experienced and less so, professionals and amateurs, purists and big-worlders -- use it, and in a positive sense.
2. Said posters use it to refer to greens, and surrounds, and hazards, and options/strategies, and terrain.
3. It is used to reference these elements (and this quality) on just about all good-to-great courses where it seems to apply (to more or less a degree), whether in the U.S. east coast or west or south, whether in regards the most highly regarded GB&I courses or the more modest ones of the English inlands, whether in Canada or throughout Australia.
4. It seems to be a quality that all great courses have in common, classic or modern, naturalist or stylized

It is a word that means "able to keep ones interest".  The great courses keep us interested, and interested throughout the round. (The poor to mediocre ones simply don't.) And it is fascinating (not to say interesting) how many different ways this can be accomplished -- from a Sand Hills or Ballyneal on one hand to a Fisher's Island and NGLA on the other; from an Oakmont here to a Dornoch there; from a Cypress Point to an Augusta.  

At any rate, I know I'm just stating the obvious-- but it just became obvious to me.

Peter

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:34:24 PM by PPallotta »

Ian Andrew

Re: Interesting is an Interesting Word
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »
I gave up the word classic in 2006 after Ran suggested I use a more meaningful word.
I realized at that moment classic was too generic because of overuse.

I guess interesting is going to be next ...  
that may be far more complicated to replace.

I will try and find more appropriate descriptions of what I see and feel.
I find this subject interesting, doh! ... I mean ... intriguing.

:  )

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:03:45 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »
It is a word that means "able to keep ones interest".  The great courses keep us interested, and interested throughout the round. (The poor to mediocre ones simply don't.) And it is fascinating (not to say interesting) how many different ways this can be accomplished -- from a Sand Hills or Ballyneal on one hand to a Fisher's Island and NGLA on the other; from an Oakmont here to a Dornoch there; from a Cypress Point to an Augusta.  

At any rate, I know I'm just stating the obvious-- but it just became obvious to me.

Peter

Peter,

Nice post, what I find more interesting is people who don't think a golf course is any good but admit it is interesting. 

Sometimes people get so tied up in the specifics of what makes a good or great golf course they forget the basics.  And being interesting is as basic as it gets IMO. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »
I have been known to tell our clients on consulting jobs that we are not trying to make the course easier or harder, we are just trying to make it more interesting.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Interesting, Peter.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
Another word to avoid is actually. As in:

Does the modifier 'classic' actually add to the description of an interesting course?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
I actually think that 'interesting' can apply to classic, modern, quirky, minimalist, big budget, and all other genre you can think of.  I agree 'interesting' generally is a positive characteristic.  Yet, 'uninteresting' can be both negative and off putting, along with boring and a waste of time. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
It's a conundrum. When we went to an under-grad art exhibit by a pretentious acquaintence and the art was as incomprehensibly bad as we feared it would be, we might say, just to say something polite: "wow, you do some very...*interesting* work". But (as David suggests), if folks like Ian or Tom use the same word, we not only know that it's a *compliment*,  but we also have a strong sense that we know exactly what Tom or Ian *mean*. And yet, what *do* they mean?
Peter

Jonathan -- oh, oh, I just realized that I actually use that word all the time! I think I like the extra syllables in a sentence, but you are right, ie there is no excuse for it actually.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:49:32 PM by PPallotta »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 09:42:28 PM »
Only a truly disinterested individual can be counted on to determine if a given course is truly "interesting".
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Only a truly disinterested individual can be counted on to determine if a given course is truly "interesting".

Very nice! Elegant and pithy, and possibly even *true*!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:47:17 PM »
Interesting - in a golf context - is not usually interesting unless it is inspiring.

Mr. Spock used the term "interesting" quite often.

"Interesting" can also be used to describe salmon flavored ice cream.

The Tree of Life is an "interesting" movie.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 01:40:34 AM »
Peter, your post intrigued (I would have used that other word until you brought this up) me enough to look up synonyms and antonyms for "interesting."  Synonyms on Thesaurus.com include alluring, compelling, beautiful, impressive, absorbing, captivating, riveting, exceptional, and many others of similar ilk. 

Antonyms include boring, dull, disgusting, ordinary, repulsive, unexciting, ugly etc. 

Whatever the precise meaning, interesting sounds a lot better than its opposite. 

Steve Okula

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:16 AM »

Very nice! Elegant and pithy, and possibly even *true*!

"Very" and "nice" are two of the most insipid words in the English language.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 02:59:43 AM »

Peter

Peter,

Nice post, what I find more interesting is people who don't think a golf course is any good but admit it is interesting. 

Sometimes people get so tied up in the specifics of what makes a good or great golf course they forget the basics.  And being interesting is as basic as it gets IMO. 

This is good, David. I agree

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 04:46:21 AM »
Maintaining interest vrs becoming boring. I did a thread a while back about how often folk can play the same course whilst maintaining interest. Variety, spice of life and all that. Can't find the thread unfortunately.
atb

Jason Way

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
One of the things I like the most about the snobbishness of this community is that we applaud "interesting" designs, and we deride those that are "contrived".  We are basically saying, "We want you (the GCA) to be original and high-quality enough to keep our attention, but we don't want to catch a single whiff that you are trying too hard about it."

That is a high standard for the praise of "interesting", and it's a standard that I think is worth maintaining.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Jason - yes, that's an excellent distinction. And indeed that unforced and even unselfconscious quality that maintains interest without drawing undue attention to itself is difficult to achieve. I would despair of it ever being achieved, except for the fact that it often was and is achieved, and in so many varied ways. (The gca equivalent of salmon flavoured ice cream is not one of those ways.)
Peter

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
There's a tangential relationship here to the objective v. subjective debate that pervades this site.  By saying something is "interesting," you are really covering both camps.  You're saying there's something there that was worthy of your time, and that you believe others will feel the same way.

But its just vague enough to let people draw their own conclusions from their own experience. 

Any more subtle and you'd have to be subliminal.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Sven,

So your saying that the phrase "that's interesting" might be the equivalent to the very Southern "bless your heart"?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Joe:

If "bless your heart" is meant to be ambiguous, I'd agree.

Sven
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:38:45 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
It says so much, and yet so little. But I highlight it because I have found over the years that:

1. All manner of posters -- gca-experienced and less so, professionals and amateurs, purists and big-worlders -- use it, and in a positive sense.
2. Said posters use it to refer to greens, and surrounds, and hazards, and options/strategies, and terrain.
3. It is used to reference these elements (and this quality) on just about all good-to-great courses where it seems to apply (to more or less a degree), whether in the U.S. east coast or west or south, whether in regards the most highly regarded GB&I courses or the more modest ones of the English inlands, whether in Canada or throughout Australia.
4. It seems to be a quality that all great courses have in common, classic or modern, naturalist or stylized

Peter

In Grounds for Golf, Shackelford uses "humorous" to describe the interesting features found on great courses. I've always liked that way of putting it.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back