News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

May River Golf Club (Review and Photo Tour)
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
We played May River on Sunday afternoon after a quick round at Heron Point in the morning. For those wondering how we were able to play May River given that we were not staying at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff and were not playing with a member, I simply called, asked, and was invited to play. I suggest you do the same if you also have no connections; the assistants at the pro shop seemed very willing to accommodate us. The only requirement was that I provide a letter from a club back home, and a letter from the Metropolitan Golf Association (the MGA to those in the New York metropolitan area), which had been prepared for me in advance of my trip to Australia last summer, sufficed.

Before I get to the course, a few notes on Palmetto Bluff and the experience at May River. More than the other gated golf communities near Hilton Head, Palmetto Bluff is posh. Our caddie told us that John Travolta and several professional athletes, especially from Atlanta teams, have homes in the community. It's also huge, itself the size of Hilton Head Island (20,000 acres). But it is very tastefully done. So when we got to the golf club, we were not surprised at how top-notch the experience was. The clubhouse is one of my favorites, a dark-green shingle-style ranch building that almost disappears into its surroundings. Given how relatively small and understated it is, everything inside feels intimate and warm. The food at the grill is excellent, and tables on the back porch--overlooking the 9th and 18th holes--are available for lunch. Caddies are mandatory for unaccompanied guests, and the caddies work for CaddieMaster, the same company that provides caddies at Augusta National and Pebble Beach, among other courses. There is what I believe is a caddy barn next to the clubhouse, designed in the same dark-green shingle style. I can't speak to the practice facilities, as we proceeded straight to the 1st tee after lunch. Inspired by some of the framed pictures in the locker room and driven by my own personal preference, I took many of my pictures in black and white. Despite my love of "brown" golf courses, I'll admit I was also a bit taken aback by the condition of the course as I looked out over 9 and 18, the latter with an almost neon-green spraypainted green, at lunch. To be sure, we were there in winter, but Harbour Town was fully green and Heron Point had green fairways and consistently white/brown rough. May River was mostly brown, but with many splotchy shades of it. (UPDATE: I have since learned that May River allows its paspalum grass to go dormant in the winter, so that explains the colors of the course.) But, as our excellent caddie, who plays the course often, noted, the condition was probably the best May River is ever in from a playability standpoint, and, to me, the course's setting is so magnificent and serene that it overcame any visual inconsistencies in the turf. (As I wrote in my Harbour Town review, I can't imagine that any of the courses in the Lowcountry ever play truly "firm and fast"--as May River is reputed to but, in my opinion, does not--because the low-lying nature of the land probably doesn't allow for such conditions. If that assumption is incorrect, please correct me.)

The defining features of the golf course are its width, its lack of rough, its small center fairway bunkers, its massive bush- and scrub-dotted fairway bunkers/waste areas (although, much to the caddies' dismay, almost all are played as bunkers and therefore must be raked), and its pushed-up greens. (Incidentally, almost all of the massive fairway bunkers/waste areas--with the exception of the one on 15--are on the left side of the fairway. I'd be curious if anyone has any insight as to why. Sure, it's preferable for a fader of the ball like Nicklaus, but I imagine there is more to it.) There are several forced carries to greens (2, 6, 7, 10, and 14), but each (with the exception of 7) allows the player to miss short and still have a play.

What stands out about the course is not any one hole or stretch of holes (only a few--3, 6 (maybe), 10, and 15--are legitimately great, and many of the holes, given the repetition of the course's defining features, blend together), but its overall feel. There is something very special--tranquil if I had to choose a word--about May River. As others have written, the holes sit easily on the land and, with the exception of the massive fairway bunkers/waste areas (there are so many of them, and they are so big, it's hard not to notice), nothing seems contrived. Most holes are relatively straight, with any doglegs being very gentle, not sharp. Both visually and strategically, my favorite shots involve two of the few elevation changes on the property: the slightly downhill approach on 3 (beautifully framed, not unlike the 10th at Augusta National, by a sprawling fairway bunker on the left and towering pines all around) and the slightly uphill tee shot on 10 (with sandy areas and bunkers reminding the golfer of the Melbourne Sandbelt). In short, the golf course is very good, but the setting and overall experience are what make May River the memorable place that it is.

May River Golf Club, Front Nine

May River Golf Club, Hole 1 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 1 (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 1 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 2 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 3 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 3 (fairway) [N.B.: The massive bunker, and general setting, reminded me of Augusta National's 10th.]

May River Golf Club, Hole 4 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 4 (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 4 (fairway/left fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 4 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 5 (fairway/left fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 5 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 6 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 6 (green, viewed from the right)

May River Golf Club, Hole 7 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 7 (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 7 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 8 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 8 (center fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 8 (beginning of left fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 8 (end of left fairway bunker/green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 8 (green, viewed from the right, aside the "heart" bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 9 (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 9 (green, looking backward down the fairway)

May River Golf Club, Back Nine

May River Golf Club, Hole 10 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 10 (center fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 10 (end of fairway/green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 11 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 11 (green, looking backward to the tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 12 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 12 (beginning of left fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 12 (middle/end of left fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 12 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 13 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 13 (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 13 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 13 (green, looking back down the fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 14 (green)

May River Golf Club, Hole 15 (right fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 15 (fairway approach)

May River Golf Club, Hole 16 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 16 (right fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 17 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 17 (left waste bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 17 (green, looking backward to the tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole 18 (tee)

May River Golf Club, Hole (fairway)

May River Golf Club, Hole 18 (center fairway bunker)

May River Golf Club, Hole 18 (green, with clubhouse behind)

May River Golf Club, Clubhouse

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:30:53 AM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: May River Golf Club (Review and Photo Tour)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »
May River is one of the best in the lowcountry.

You've mentioned the color of MR and HT. HT is seeded, like always for resort play and the Tour. Full renovation starting in May. MR is not overseeded and allowed tondo dormant. That is dormant paspalum you played on.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
I think May River looks like more fun than Harbour Town, dare I say!

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the contrasting grasses, Tony. I assumed Harbour Town was seeded for the Tour event, especially as it's coming up relatively soon. And as for May River, I enjoyed playing off the dormant paspalum, I just was caught offguard by its appearance at first, that's all.

Will: I wouldn't use the word "fun" to describe May River. That's not because it's particularly hard or punishing, but rather because it's not as creative or as challenging as Harbour Town. May River is like a peaceful, almost mystical, walk in the park. But it asks less of you than Harbour Town, and, to me, that makes it less "fun."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I would agree that it's a pleasant place to play, challenging enough and impeccably well maintained; when I played late last summer, the greens were absolutely perfect, the best summer bermuda i've played in the low country.  In terms of the "fun scale," I'd rank it below HT, LC, and Chechessee.  I bet that the course would be a nice contrast to a C/C, if their member course is ever built.

JWL

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:11 PM »
Benjamin.

You asked for an explanation about the following:
                                                                                                                                                                                                           " (Incidentally, almost all of the massive fairway bunkers/waste areas--with the exception of the one on 15--are on the left side of the fairway. I'd be curious if anyone has any insight as to why. Sure, it's preferable for a fader of the ball like Nicklaus, but I imagine there is more to it. " 
                                                                                                                                                                                                     One of the basic answers to your question is that on the holes you identified, the existing tree quality on the left side of the corridor was not good...basically understory brush.   Whereas, on the right side there were some large established trees, often mature live oaks.  That was especially true on hole 12 tee shot you mentioned.   So, the instances where the large 'sand waste' areas were found on tees shots or 2nd shots on Par 5s' were holes 7, 8, 12, 15, and 17.   So one out of five were on the right.   Now , when you consider water hazards on tee shots or 2nd shots on Par 5's, arguably an even more demanding hazard, they are found on holes 3, 10, 13, 14, and 18.   The water on the left side of one out of 5 of these.   So when you consider the two 'hazard' on the holes, you will find that there is an equal balance of 5 right and 5 left.
There was considerable effort made in the routing to achieve balance so that no one shot type would be more rewarded than another.
Hope this was beneficial.
Btw, I really enjoyed your photos, especially many of the b/w pics ....#11 b/w of the green from the left side approach angle was really nice.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »
Yes -- to this untrained eye at least, Ben seems to do a very good job of capturing not only the ambience of a course, but also its essence. Courses should welcome Ben with opens arms.
Peter

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:59 AM »
JWL--thanks for the inside baseball of the design.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »
Many thanks for the photos.Course reminiscent of Colleton River/JN;however,better/frequent greenside bunkering in a atypical Nicklaus fashion? 

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
I would agree that it's a pleasant place to play, challenging enough and impeccably well maintained; when I played late last summer, the greens were absolutely perfect, the best summer bermuda i've played in the low country.  In terms of the "fun scale," I'd rank it below HT, LC, and Chechessee.  I bet that the course would be a nice contrast to a C/C, if their member course is ever built.

That all sounds spot on to me, Jim. The last I read about the C&C course, the plans had been shelved, but perhaps someone on here has more intel.

JWL: Many thanks for answering my question about the waste bunkers, and for the kind words. I guess I would add the waste bunkers on 3 and 4 and say that the water hazards you mention, to me at least, didn't come into play as much as the waste bunkers, which seemed to define and infringe the fairways as opposed to being off of them. But I appreciate that balance was considered in the design. Did you work on the course?

Peter: Thanks, as always, for the kind words. Short of courses welcoming me, I'll work on taking up your suggestion and teaming up with Jon.

Tim: You're very welcome. I didn't get to play Colleton River, but I hope to someday--both the Nicklaus and the Dye courses, as I've heard the latter is actually better. I'm not that familiar with Nicklaus courses, so I can't opine on your comparative question about the bunkering, but I will say that the fairway bunkering seemed more integral to May River than the greenside bunkering. The greens are surrounded by a lot of short grass that allow for many recoveries apart from bunker splashes.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
Regarding the c/c course the official position is that when current membership reaches 325 the project is feasible.

HOWEVER an inn expansion that will create the potential for upwards of 300-500 resort guests for multi day stays mat put enough pressure on that old model to kick start sooner. Add to that massive building now underway and a new village being developed and the chance appears much greater.

I must also disagree regarding Chechessee being a more fun golf course to play. I love the vibe at CH but the similarity of many of the par fours and the over reliance on push up platform greens always sloped back to front are nothing like the variety and views May River offers. Nicklaus team built this contemporaneously with Sebonic and i think it shows
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

JWL

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
Ward
I'm not exactly sure what you meant in your last sentence comparing May River and Sebonack, but for the record, May River was constructed in 2002-2003 and Sebonack in 2004-2005.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »
JWL

The green complexes at MYGC evoke a Doak philosophy IMO as do the generous landing areas.

Contemporaneously does not mean sequential and  is my effort to qualify that the Nicklaus teams exposure to the Sebonick design process may have influenced this atypical Nicklaus design. It is as clear as I can be without direct knowledge of those two design processes. Maybe you know more details since you post under an alias
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:44 PM »
I have always wanted to play May River. These pictures discourage that desire. What is missing?

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »
I have always wanted to play May River. These pictures discourage that desire. What is missing?

Ward's great room.

JWL

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
Ward
I am glad that you like May River and Sebonack.   They are both really great golf courses imho.
What I was trying to point out was that MR was constructed before Sebonack ever started, so while Sebonack was a learning experience for all involved,  it would be impossible for any of Doak's influences to be at May River, which is what I thought you were implying when you said 'it shows'.   My apology if I misinterpreted your comment.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »
Ward: I appreciate what you're saying about Sebonack and May River, but I'd say that they are more similar in their width than in their greens. To the extent they share anything in their greens, its the amount of short grass that surrounds them. The greens themselves are not similar at all.

JWL: Just because May River was constructed before Sebonack ever started, that in no way makes it logically "impossible" for Doak to have influenced the design at May River--especially given that Sebonack started only a few years after. Perhaps Jack and Tom had been in discussions for a few years, or, at a minimum, perhaps Jack had admired Tom's work from afar during that time.

John: Assuming you're not referring to the color/condition of the course (see my and Anthony's comments about May River's appearance in winter), what about the pictures discourage your desire to play it?  What, for you, is "missing"?

JWL

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:22 PM »
Benjamin
As much as it appears that you want to give Doak credit somehow for the work done at MR, since you seem to have liked it, I can assure you that what you suggested did not happen.   Jack did not meet Tom until be beginning of the Sebonack project, nor had they ever met prior to Tom visiting Jack's office and they discussed the potential collaboration.
Since I worked on both courses with Tom and Jack, I pretty much know when and what happened on each project from beginning to end.
May River was not influenced in any way by Tom, and was completed before Jack and I ever met Tom.
I hope you still like it.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the insight, JWL. I fully trust you on this, as I have no first-hand knowledge and you have a lot. I in no way wanted to give Doak credit for May River; I was simply responding to Wade's comments and suggesting that, purely as a matter of logic (as a lawyer, I can't help it), the chronology didn't foreclose Doak's influence on May River.

I loved May River long before Wade's Doak comments, so, worry not, I still love it now.

Thanks again for the context,

Benjamin

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:51 AM »

They don't have fans or subair. Shouldn't that be enough?  ;)

Again, MR is wonderful JN design, that, IMO, does a really good job is utilizing many of the lowcountry's features.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Greg Tallman

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
Benjamin
As much as it appears that you want to give Doak credit somehow for the work done at MR, since you seem to have liked it, I can assure you that what you suggested did not happen.   Jack did not meet Tom until be beginning of the Sebonack project, nor had they ever met prior to Tom visiting Jack's office and they discussed the potential collaboration.
Since I worked on both courses with Tom and Jack, I pretty much know when and what happened on each project from beginning to end.
May River was not influenced in any way by Tom, and was completed before Jack and I ever met Tom.
I hope you still like it.

Jim, Come on stop trying to explain it... you were secretly channeling your futuristic inner Doak and thus he should be credited for some of the work at MRGC. Heck let's just call it a Doak/Bowman Design while we are at it.

Honestly though MRGC is a wonderful course and anyone who can play it should. Certainly top 3 in the HH area.

Marc Haring

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:56 AM »
Benjamin

I  pride myself on being a man that resists the sin of jealousy quite well but seeing that you seem to spend your entire life going from one amazing golf venue to another I have to say you are testing this rare virtue I have to the absolute limit.

Great write up and pictures as usual.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:43:10 AM by Marc Haring »

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
Tremendous review, Benjamin, and thanks to JWL for the insight on the development of this course.  I spent a great weekend at the resort over Father's Day a few years ago and enjoyed this course a great deal.  It fits really well with the surroundings, and the overall low-key vibe of the course is a really good match with the resort.  I do wonder how the new hotel coming into that development will change things, but from what I saw when I was out there, I'm not sure the demand is there for a second course, although they certainly have the room for one.  This played like a gentler Nicklaus track than what I was accustomed to seeing from his earlier designs, and was very fun for both myself and my father even though our games are very different.  I really want to get back to that area again to play that course.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
Many thanks, Marc and Amol, for the kind words; glad you enjoyed the tour.

Marc: I certainly have been fortunate to play so many amazing courses in the last year, and I am very grateful for the opportunity. If it helps, I actually spend most of my time corresponding/meeting with clients in jail and writing briefs about criminal-justice issues. It just so happens that, of late, most of my getaways have been for golf (due in no small part to the fact that my girlfriend likes to golf, and even play 36 holes a day, too). And don't worry, I don't have any golf trips planned for the near future (although my best friend just told me he'd love to head up to Cabot this summer).

Amol: As you can tell from my earlier comments, I am very much in agreement with your description about May River. Apparently the imminence of the new hotel was one of the reasons it was so easy for me, as an unaccompanied guest staying off site, to get on the course. I guess that bodes well for others who also want to play it without spending the money to stay at the resort/in the hotel.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
Ran wrote a similar glowing reviewing in 2007.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/may-river-golf-club/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back