News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill McKinley

Question for Bandon Veterans
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
Gents,

I'm making the treck to Bandon this fall with some members and I question that only could be answered by seasoned Bandon veterans who frequent the GCA Discussion Group.

My question is what to do on the last day of our trip.  Here's what I would like to do, not sure if it's possible:

tee off at 7:30 & 7:40 on Old Mac (already have the times booked), play, get back to the lodge, get our bags and hop on the shuttle to North Bend airport to catch a 12:45 flight to San Fran.  Can this work logistically?? Or am I trying to squeeze too much into that last day?

Thanks for your help gents!!

PS. Yes I have used the search button.  Haha
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jim Adkisson

Re: Question for Bandon Veterans
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Bill, we played 36 and drove home to Portland on Tuesday, so I may be off base with advice on flying through NB International...

Your plan could work with 2 caveats;

1. play fast
2. arrange with staff to have your baggage in a van waiting at OM clubhouse to set straight out to the airport

Have a great trip.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
Are those the first tee times of the day?

If not, don't plan on a four hour round. Like anywhere else, it's very possible to be stuck behind a few slow groups. I played an early morning round at OM a year ago and it took 4:45.
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »
Too tight a timeline, methinks.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill McKinley

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
Are those the first tee times of the day?

If not, don't plan on a four hour round. Like anywhere else, it's very possible to be stuck behind a few slow groups. I played an early morning round at OM a year ago and it took 4:45.

Yes it is the first tee time of the day, so pace of play is up to us.  Just curious about the time it takes to get the shuttle and how early we need to be at the North Bend airport, provided that we are all checked in already
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
sounds a bit ambitious...

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
Bill,

Having made the trek to Bandon on 3 occasions including an 8 day stay for the USGA APL Championship, I feel you are really cutting it close . If your group can play in three hours and be on the shuttle within 15 minutes of finishing you have a decent shot. Getting checked in and going through security at North Bend is not that bad. Pretty quick. Tee off at 7:30 , finish at 10:30, on the shuttle by 10: 45 with a driver that's no slow poke and understands your situation-----you got a real good shot. If I were you, I would request from the Head Pro at Mac to tee off at 7 after explaining your situation .
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
You're going to be herding cats, and rushing through a round at Old Mac isn't worth it.

Play the Preserve instead.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Stephen Davis

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
It is definitely tight, however, I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't try the same thing. I would only do it if and only if you can comfortably play your round in 3 hours.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
This is a simple risk/reward question that any golf architecture aficionado should be able to figure out by asking themselves "What happens if you miss the flight?"

If the penalty is akin to a tricky lie in the rough - an extra day at the resort and a roll of the eyes from the wife, then you give it a shot. If the penalty is stroke and distance - spending the night in an airport talking to your wife's lawyer and your angry employer, you'd better play it safe.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
Question for you: will you have played Old Mac by this point?

If not, you could give it a go but it is very unlikely that you'll get through the full round. If you have nobody in front of you, double-time it, and can jump in a car immediately afterwards maybe it's possible, but I still wouldn't put my money on it.

If you don't mind paying full price for what could be a partial round, you could probably play through #10 and then walk in via a service road that goes around the fourth green. It's easy to see on Google Earth, I'm assuming it's possible to walk through there.

Personally I would prefer to play the Preserve and/or putter around on the Punchbowl.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
I think a 3:30 round is about the best reasonable expectation.  That puts second group back at the Lodge around 11:20, and if the shuttle is waiting you could load right on and be at the airport around noon.  

It is tight but possibly doable if everything goes according to plan, but it may just be a huge distraction.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »
Great suggestions guys.  Thank you.  I should have said that the morning round at Old Mac would be our 2nd play there so if we have to cut it short, it might not be a big deal.  Also I like Pete's suggestion of asking if we can get out at 7.  I also considered the option of the Preserve.  

I should say that the reason I want to get out and to San Fran is we are planning on adding an additional round in San Fran at either Olympic or Cal Club or Harding Park.  And before you say SFGC, I think access may be the issue with 2 groups, but I am going to try (delicately).

So I think I'm leaning to an inquiry about getting a 7 am tee time or just yucking it up at the Preserve or Punchbowl before heading out.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
This has nothing to do with Bandon, but I just played a round where I was sure I was going to miss my flight for the first 9 holes.  Every delay was excruciating and it seemed like the slowest round ever.  I found out my flight was delayed and the back 9 went by like a dream.  I was not stressed, I played better, didn't mind the waits (we played the front in just a tick faster than the back) and had a much better experience.  

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
Bill,

The answer is pretty simple. If this is your only round at Old Mac, miss your plane before missing this golf course - but you're going to have to hustle my friend. You can buzz around Bandon or Pac Dunes very quickly - particularly if the wind is not a factor. You can run around the front side of Old Mac, but the back nine is a lengthy gauntlet.  

If you've gotten around it already, I agree that 18 or even 27 on the Preserve is the ticket. Part of the Bandon experience is, well, the experience. Walk off the par-3, have a nice early lunch and be on your way. Maybe I am getting old - but after two and half days playing 90 holes, the last morning is best spent decompressing with a relaxed wander around the Preserve.

And for gawdsakes - especially if you are prone (as I am) to finding yourself a trifle over-served on a buddy trip - make sure you leave the Bunker Bar by 10pm NO MATTER WHAT! There is a strange and unexplainable force field that grows steadily stronger as the witching hour approaches. Once the clock strikes midnight, the metaphorical hatch locks and there is no escape until 2am. Believe me, that wake-up call for a 7:30 tee time (with another to follow at 1:30) is only slightly less painful than hemorrhoid surgery once the anesthetic wears off.    
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:30:33 PM by Gib Papazian »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Just posted the above too late.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »
Don't count on playing Punchbowl in the morning, as I don't think it is open until mid-afternoon to keep hooting and hollering around PD 1st and BD 3rd tees (as well as PD 7th green) to a minimum...

If you decide to play a truncated round at OM, I would consider playing 1-8 and from 9th tee to 12th green, then 13 in...it would be tough to play first 15 holes and get to the clubhouse from green of Westward Ho...

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »
If you cant go earlier than 730.
Split up once on the course into 2,3,3 and the first group can play in well under 3 and start the organizing.
The rest keep up or quit early.
Go for it.
Regards
Sherman
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:10:02 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
Walk-ahead foursomes.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »
Walk-ahead foursomes.

Good answer. If a friendly game of foursomes takes more than three hours then something is VERY wrong.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Elvins

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
I should say that the reason I want to get out and to San Fran is we are planning on adding an additional round in San Fran at either Olympic or Cal Club or Harding Park.  And before you say SFGC, I think access may be the issue with 2 groups, but I am going to try (delicately).

Why would you prioritise a round in San Francisco over a round in Bandon?

Heaps easier to get back to San Francisco anther time than return to Bandon. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »

I think a 3:30 round is about the best reasonable expectation.  

Agreed

That puts second group back at the Lodge around 11:20, and if the shuttle is waiting you could load right on and be at the airport around noon.  

Don't count on the shuttle sitting there waiting for you.
Make "personal" arrangements at least a day or two in advance, with guarantees, with penalties/rewards

It is tight but possibly doable if everything goes according to plan, but it may just be a huge distraction.

If it was me, I'd have all the bags packed, the lodge cleaned out and the fully packed van/shuttle waiting for me 100 yards from the 18th green, with some snacks and drinks for lunch.

That way, you just change your shoes (if necessary) and go.

You'll save at least a half an hour as missing your flight isn't a viable option.

John Cowden

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
Beware.  We once arrived at OTH (North Bend Airport) 28 minutes before our flight to be told the door closed 30 minutes before departure.  Logic and pleading carried no weight.  The good news was the dinner, breakfast and additional round at the resort.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
Beware.  We once arrived at OTH (North Bend Airport) 28 minutes before our flight to be told the door closed 30 minutes before departure.  Logic and pleading carried no weight.  The good news was the dinner, breakfast and additional round at the resort.

As everyone ales noted this is tight.  7:40 tee time plus 3:30 round plus 10 minutes to get on a shuttle plus 40 to north bend airport gets you there just at 45 minutes before the flight.

And while thirty minutes is plenty enough time at North Bend (airports do tend to be sticklers about the 30 minute cutoff ..although if you have a high elite status they will sometimes be more forgiving) I would also make sure you understand closing for bag check.  It is probably also 30 minutes at North Bend, but at some airports can be 45. 

I have fedexed my golf bag the last three trips to Bandon since they will also sometimes drop clubs due to weight issues....although if you want them when you get to San Fran that may not help. 

William_G

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »
I would keep your tee times

BUT, fly to SFO at 4:28 on flight UA6408 out of EUG...meaning you would have to have a rental car

8)
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back