News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

Chambers Bay is most like which Bandon course?
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
Played all 4 courses at BD this past week and our group got on the topic of which course at BD is Chambers Bay most similar to. I said Old Mac, others said Bandon Dunes....what say you?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Ryan Taylor

Re: Chambers Bay is most like which Bandon course?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
Fascinating question. I'll be sure to chime in after March 15th. Looking forward to the responses.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
I can't think of any similarities beyond the fact that all 5 have 18 holes.   ;D

Jason Way

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
It's kind of a stretch to compare Chambers Bay to any of the our Bandon Courses, but if I had to, I would say:
- Tee to green, it plays most like Bandon Trails, especially with the large sand/waste/native areas and elevation changes
- Green complexes play most like Bandon Dunes

I don't think that there is much similarity between Tom's greens (or C&Cs) and RTJ Jr's greens, if memory serves.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Brent Carlson

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:22:07 PM »
That's an interesting question - and I can't find many similarities outside of the fescue.  It's that Chambers is so unique, even compared to Bandon.  It feels like a championship course, while PD / OM have better architecture, and I would prefer to play them everyday. 

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:09 AM »
Bandon Crossings.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:50 AM »
Pacific Dunes. Routing choices made to take advantage of water views.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Weersing

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
Played all 4 courses at BD this past week and our group got on the topic of which course at BD is Chambers Bay most similar to. I said Old Mac, others said Bandon Dunes....what say you?

I would agree with you that Old Mac is closest to Chambers Bay because of the width of Old Mac is similar to the width of Chambers Bay.

The waste bunkers on no. 9 at Old Mac are similar to the bunkers on holes at Chambers Bay. The green on no. 17 at Old Mac is similar to the greens at Chambers Bay.

The sideboards on the greens at Chambers Bay are similar to the ones at Pacific Dunes. For example, the sideboards on no. 8 at Pacific Dunes.

Both Old Mac and Chambers Bay have a drop shot par 3. No. 8 at Old Mac and no. 9 at Chambers Bay.

Both have an uphill par 4 with a false front. No. 7 at Old Mac and No. 7 at Chambers Bay.

We need to have one of those matches between Old Mac and Chambers Bay. Chambers Bay would be 1 UP after one. But then there would be some halves.

William_G

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:43 AM »
none
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:21 AM »
It's most like Bandon Dunes, because they went down to Bandon and looked at Bandon and Pacific in detail before starting to build Chambers Bay.  There is one tee shot at Chambers which is a pretty direct copy of the 5th at Bandon Dunes.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »
Most like Bandon Trails.

Generally lacking the wind.
More up and down routing.
Similar width.
Downhill par 3s
Short par 3 fronted by bunkers
The uphill slog par 5 ;)
Doglegs around significant sand.

And, BTW Grey, none is not a most. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
mostly none
It's all about the golf!

C. Sturges

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
William,
Can you give more insight? 
chris

William_G

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
there is no similarity at all
It's all about the golf!

C. Sturges

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »
Not even that they are golf courses?  Same grass?  Ground game works very well and is recommended at both?
Seems like more than nothing!
chris

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 12:21:06 AM »
there is no similarity at all

What's wrong Grey? CB beat you up?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 05:28:35 AM »
CB is a golf course on a filled sand base site with fescue turf where the 7th green reminded me of #2 at Bandon other than that, not so much
It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
CB is a golf course on a filled sand base site with fescue turf where the 7th green reminded me of #2 at Bandon other than that, not so much

We now have a most from Grey! ;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »

I would agree with you that Old Mac is closest to Chambers Bay because of the width of Old Mac is similar to the width of Chambers Bay.

I find this to be a remarkable conclusion. OM is the most freedom filled course I've ever seen. CB, not so much.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

I find this to be a remarkable conclusion. OM is the most freedom filled course I've ever seen. CB, not so much.

Did you see Chambers Bay when it first opened like I believe Scott did? Or, have you seen it since the USGA has begun to degrade it?

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »

They both have a "Cape" hole.....
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back