News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
I reiterate that I am in for HH.  Can we get an approx. break down of all costs at each course?

Carl - read the opening post... everything is stated very clearly.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Just want to bump this to remind everyone that there are three spots open for the Dixie Cup.

Check out the opening post for the details.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

herrstein

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015 - Deposits Due May 10
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
Just curious.  "Lookout Mountain has no push/pull carts and does not allow them at any time. You either carry, take a cart, or someone caddies for you. A caddie would have to be a friend or something arranged beforehand as the club has no caddies." [From current version of initial post.]

Why (no push, pull carts or, I assume, power caddies)? The Lord willin', I'll be there and will do whatever the club requires without complaint.  But, still, why this rule?  Does anyone know?  Just curious.

This has been an issue for me in the past.
I was forbidden from taking my pull cart on my beloved LMGC.
I believe this to be a prejudice remaining from the years in which no man of means couldn't afford a caddy. LMGC had caddies into the early '80's. But they disappeared by the '90's. The appearance of The Honors in 1983, with their very vibrant caddy program, cast its shadow upon Lookout,where no caddy could be found.
Still, there are members, including me, who walk and carry without comment.
Medical notes (I call them, "notes from Mom") allow even the motorized carts, which at least one LMGC member uses regularly.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »
Depending on the final make-up of team's I willing for the my captain to envelope me if there is an odd number of players. My airline has changed a planned leisurely transit to airport mad dashes. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »
Depending on the final make-up of team's I willing for the my captain to envelope me if there is an odd number of players. My airline has changed a planned leisurely transit to airport mad dashes.

Delta?  This is one of their only free services.  Frequently. 

Michael Whitaker

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015 - SPACE AVAILABLE!
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »
We have space available for up to five more players! Just PM or email me and we'll sign you up.

Complete event details are in the opening post.

Cheers!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
Sewanne, a 9 holer re-worked by Gil Hanse, is just up the road from Sweetens Cove ....
http://www.thecourseatsewanee.com/
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »
Carl,

You beat me to it!!  I am planning on heading up there Sunday after 36 at Sweetens Cove, looking to book a tee time.  Anybody else interested in joining me.  The golf course is closed on Monday.

TK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Carl,

You beat me to it!!  I am planning on heading up there Sunday after 36 at Sweetens Cove, looking to book a tee time.  Anybody else interested in joining me.  The golf course is closed on Monday.

TK
Maybe after 18 at Sweetens, but my body may be broken by then

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »
Final handicap revision is in and I remain at 13.6

Bill_McBride

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
Final handicap revision is in and I remain at 13.6

20.3.   >:( :P

Mike Hendren

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
I hate to no show at a Dixie Cup in my backyard but I'm caddying in the USGA women's senior amateur next weekend at Hillwood CC here in Nashville.  Will try to make it down for a refreshing Coca-Cola one evening if tee times permit.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ward peyronnin

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
bogey

you are caddying? last time i saw you was on a buggy at Callaway gardens and you weren't even playing.

C'mon man your Ripley man needs ya! He feeds off of good golf
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Chris Mavros

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
My final handicap revision is 16.4. 

I plan on driving from Philadelphia.  Coming in Thursday night and will be for the rounds Friday through Sunday, then driving back.  Looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully I'm not the only one playing for the North. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Bogey - hope you can make it for some of our get-together. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:10:39 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
This is a FINAL CALL for last minute additions to our annual shindig.

We can take up to seven additional players per day. You don't have to commit to the whole thing... just play one round if you want... we'd love to have you.

If you are interested just post a note here or send a PM and we'll get you signed up. You'll be glad you did!

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
This is a FINAL CALL for last minute additions to our annual shindig.

We can take up to seven additional players per day. You don't have to commit to the whole thing... just play one round if you want... we'd love to have you.

If you are interested just post a note here or send a PM and we'll get you signed up. You'll be glad you did!

I just want to second this post.  If anyone is interested, we would love to have you but need final commitments ASAP.  We need to provide the courses with final headcounts, for the golf and dining arrangements. We are really getting down to the wire!

Tommorow night at 7pm we will be picking sides.  I will be the Captain of the South , Evan will be Captain of the North.
We will post the teams no later than this weekend.

Look forward to seeing familiar faces and quite a few new ones next week.  Any questions about golf, dining, lodging options, whatever, feel free to give me a holler at Gagolfer2010@yahoo.com

Eric

ed_getka

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Carl,

TK
Tyler,

If I have anything left in my legs by Sunday afternoon I would be interested in joining you.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
Carl,

TK
Tyler,

If I have anything left in my legs by Sunday afternoon I would be interested in joining you.
Count me in for Sewanee ..... even if I am half dead!!
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Pete_Pittock

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015 - LAST CALL!
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2015, 12:43:48 AM »
Jinx,
weather report seems favorable, 8o ish, 50%, 1 club wind.
I arrive late Wednesday nite and ordered a large car, can carpool to Holston Hills.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Ed/Carl,

Judging from your responses, you are looking to play 9 holes only at Sewanee, right? I'm going to book a tee time at 356pm on Sunday, fee is $20 for 9.  I am sure if we want to play 18 it can be arranged.

Tyler

ed_getka

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »
Let's plan on 9 holes and if the legs are still working we can go for more. The price is right.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
Patiently waiting for course discussion/comments, pictures, and results!

Jamey

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
Well... we dodged a LOT of rain, but were able to get in some golf every day and see all the courses! I think it is fair to say that each course lived up to it's billing. Black Creek, Sweetens Cove and Lookout Mountain are all exceptional and everything they are promoted to be. For me personally, the more Seth Raynor courses I see the more I am enamored with his work. Like Yale, the Lookout Mountain course is an engineering marvel that presents outstanding golf of a fashion that could be enjoyed every day. The walk is not easy (it's on top of a mountain!), but it doesn't take away from one's enjoyment of playing the course as is the case on some mountain courses.

The highlight of the event had to be Saturday night's presentation by Doug Stein. What a fabulous look into the history of Lookout Mountain!!! Doug has a special love for his club, Raynor and golf in general. Every club should have someone so committed to their success! I know many of our participants will want to comment on Doug's talk, so I will only say he was absolutely captivating and we were so lucky to have him address our group.

Doug Stein speaking to the Dixie Cup

A massive thank you needs to go out to Eric Strulowitz who single handedly planned and organized this year's Dixie Cup. Great job!!!

And, thanks to Evan Fleicher for once again captaining the North team and leading them to victory.

Finally, the Dixie Cup is always about reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. Attending these get togethers reinforces why GCA.com has transformed most of our lives. If you ever get frustrated with the dialogue on GCA.com and wonder why you bother, pack your clubs and attend one of our events. It will change your life forever.

For those who attended the Dixie Cup... I look forward to seeing your photos and discussing the courses. We were very lucky, weren't we?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:22:28 AM by Michael Whitaker »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
I'm having dinner with Ed Getka in a few minutes; I look forward to hearing about the event.  Never been to one, but it's on my list.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back