News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

DIXIE CUP 2015
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
The venue and dates for the 2015 Dixie Cup have been set. Major kudos to Eric Strulowitz for volunteering to be the lead dog on this year's event and pull everything together.

DIXIE CUP SIGN UPS (paid deposits in RED)          Holston Hills Confirmed Up To 20 Players = +
 1 Eric Strulowitz +
 2 Morgan Clawson +
 3 Evan Fleisher +
 4 Bill McBride
 5 Craig Disher +
 6 Jay Mickle +
 7 Michael Whitaker +
 8 John Stiles
 9 Ward Peyronnin +
10 Sterling Forsythe +
11 Tyler Kearns +
12 Carl Rogers +
13 Chris Mavros
14 David Royer
15 Michael Christensen
16 Keith Causey +
17 Mike Young
18 Bob Carson
19 Bryan Drennon +
20 Pete Pittock +
21 John Mayhugh +
22 Ed Getka+
23 Lyndell Young +
24 Jon Byron+

CANCELLED
1 Gray Grieve
2 Donovan Childers
3 Hart Huffines
4 Carl Johnson
5 Chris Shaida
6 Joe Fairey
7 Zack Molnar
8 Frank Sekulic

HOLSTON HILLS STANDBY LIST
 1 Brian Bowman + Confirmed

FRIDAY 9/25
Golf at Black Creek Clubhttp://www.blackcreekclub.com/
Tee times beginning at 8AM and 130pm.  COST: The green fee will be $60 for the day.  Carts for each round will be $20... so, total for the day will be $100 plus tax.  Lunch at Black Creek will be in the clubhouse. Each golfer will pay their own way.  Dinner will be a BBQ with all the fixins. This will include salad, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverages for everyone.  Alcohol will be extra.  The cost for dinner (& gratuity) will be paid from the deposits. Sean Rice, the club professional will be our dinner guest.

SATURDAY 9/26
Golf at Lookout Mountain Golf Club  http://www.lookoutmountaingolfclub.com/ 
8:30AM & 1:30PM start times for 36 Holes. COST: $55 to walk and $18.50 for cart. Second round for cart fee only!!!  In the evening, we will have a "formal" sit down dinner with a guest speaker to talk about Seth Raynor and the history of the club.

SPECIAL NOTE:  Lookout Mountain has no push/pull carts and does not allow them at any time. You either carry, take a cart, or someone caddies for you. A caddie would have to be a friend or something arranged beforehand as the club has no caddies.

SUNDAY 9/27
Sweetens Cove Golf Club  http://www.sweetenscovegolfclub.com/
8:30AM start time for singles matches over two trips around this nine hole masterpiece. COST: $45 for the day (unlimited holes) walking. $20 per 18 holes for a cart.

PRE EVENT GOLF
Thursday 9/24
:  John Mayhugh and John Stiles have offered to host a group of pre-Dixie Cup'ers at Holston Hills http://www.holstonhills.com beginning at 12:30PM Thursday 9/24. This group is currently limited to 20 players. COST: Green fee will be about $65 walking.  Cart (if desired) another $22 (these are rounded numbers due to TN sales tax).

ACCOMMODATION
We have reserved a block of rooms very close to Lookout Mountain and Black Creek Golf Clubs.  The dates are arrival 9/24 and departure 9/27.  The rate is $94.  If you are planning to attend the 2015 Dixie Cup please contact the Clarion Inn, which is on Cummings Highway, Chattanooga.  The phone number is 423-821-5500.  The group name with the reservation is 2015 Dixie Cup.

DEPOSIT
We have 32 playing positions available. A deposit of $150 will be required to secure your spot in the field. If you cancel after paying your deposit the person taking your place will send you a refund.

You may pay either by PayPal (into account mwhitaker@clemsonsports.com) or by check sent to:

Clemson Sports Network, Inc
PO Box 5856
Greenville, SC 29606
Attn: Dixie Cup

To Send Your Deposit Via PayPal:

1) Log into your PayPal account and press the "Send Money" tab

2) In the "To" field type mwhitaker@clemsonsports.com
3) In the ""Amount" field type 150.00
4) Click on the "Personal" tab and tick "Other"
5) Click "Continue" button

6) Check the recap to make sure the email address, amount and fees are correct. There should be $0 in fees, otherwise your deposit will come up short.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:55:59 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

hhuffines

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015 Now Open for Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Bill was right!  You guys are awesome!  Thank you!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
Great line up Mike and Eric.

After missing the last few DC's I am hoping to get back into the fold for this one.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
I can't tell everyone how excited I am about this years event.

Lookout Mountain and Black Creek are superb venues,  these courses are truly unique, fun, and since this group is about architecture, they offer a lot for study and discussion.  Both these courses have superb, dedicated staffs, and I can assure you that they will makes us feel welcome and you all will be treated as "members for a day".  I have not played Holsten Hills, but its reputation as a Ross gem is well known, and everything I hear about Sweetens Cove leads me to believe that it is already one of the top nine holers to be found anywhere.

There are still a few details to be worked out.   I need to get up to both courses in the early spring and work out final details on dining and guest speakers.  The prices quoted so far are pretty good guidelines, we should come right at or pretty close to those you have been provided so far.  We don't have any cost data on the pre-round at Holsten Hills or the Sunday round at Sweetens cove yet,  those GCA members who are handling this aspect of the Dixie Cup will get back to participants as this is finalized, but if anyone needs a ballpark number, pleas let Michael Whitaker or myself know, I am sure we can provide that.

As far as lodging, Lookout Mtn and Black Creek are close to each other, and there are a lot of good motels at base of the mountain.  Sometime before mid-April, I will visit   several hotels at the base and get back to the group with recommendations and possibly some type of group discount.  I have stayed in the valley at the base many times, and the lodging is mostly budget, family oriented, but clean and most offer a hearty buffet breakfast. 

I would advise getting your deposits in early to Miichael.  These  are great venues and an  area convenient to many GCA members, it might just fill up quick.  If there are any questions, please message me, I will be happy to get right back to you.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
I have been fortunate to play all of the courses before and highly recommend them to everyone.  It doesn't hurt that Chattanooga is a great town as well. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
I love Chattanooga. It is worth staying downtown, I think, as there's a bunch of great places to eat and drink. I recommend the Chattanooga Brewing Company. But don't stay at the Choo Choo unless the price is _very_ keen - it is a bit crap.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
Costs for Sweetens Cove... $45 for the day (unlimited holes) walking. $20 per 18 holes for a cart.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
Delete
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:35:52 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
I am signed up and looking forward to meeting the group and associating faces with names and writings. I will surely not miss the pre-Dixie @ HH. I played HH back in '96 and look forward to seeing the changes.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
ACCOMMODATIONS INFO
Mike Young has a friend who has reworked several houses in downtown Chattanooga within walking distance to all the cool stuff and just a few minutes to Lookout. Let Mike know if you are interested.  His friend has a few more but should be able to block them for the group. Divided out the cost should be very reasonable!

The site is VRBO.com and the listings are #177513, #475601, #634064, and #498913.

You don't need me...you can book direct from VRBO....  really nice setups...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
IN!...of course.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
IN!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Stirling Cicero Forsythe and I are in
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »
In

Zack Molnar

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
I am in as well.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
I remember seeing this event last year and regretted not signing up, so would love to make it work.  It'd be great to meet some fellow GCA folks and discuss the design of these terrific courses as well as architecture in general, as I have a lot to learn.  As a solo, am I able to sign up? 

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »
I remember seeing this event last year and regretted not signing up, so would love to make it work.  It'd be great to meet some fellow GCA folks and discuss the design of these terrific courses as well as architecture in general, as I have a lot to learn.  As a solo, am I able to sign up? 

Of course, please sign up, you are most welcome.

glad to see the great repsonse so far, this is really shaping up to be a great Dixie Cup!

Chris Mavros

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:42 AM »

Of course, please sign up, you are most welcome.

glad to see the great repsonse so far, this is really shaping up to be a great Dixie Cup!

Excellent.  Count me in!

David Royer

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
In

Donovan Childers

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Count me in for this

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
I posted yesterday that lodging will be in short supply in Chattanooga during the days of our Dixie Cup due to the Iron Man competition, which is going to be huge from what I understand.

We have been very fortunate to reserve a block of rooms very close to Lookout Mountain and Black Creek Golf Clubs.  The days will be arriving 9/24 and leaving 9/27.  The rate will be $94.

If you are going to attend the 2015 Dixie Cup or are thinking seriously about it, please contact the Clarion Inn, which is in Cummings Highway, Chattanooga.  The phone number is 423 -821-5500.  The group name with the reservation will be 2015 Dixie Cup.

Hope this helps everyone.  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:32:15 AM by Eric Strulowitz »

Steve Wilson

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
I just want you guys to know it hasn't escaped my attention that you waited until I'd committed to the Midwest Mashie to publish the Dixie Cup arrangements.  I mean if you didn't want there you didn't have to go to all this trouble. 

Now it looks as though I'll miss another opportunity to have that long awaited match with Craig Disher.

I thought I'd throw that in there lest anyone take this seriously. 

Looks like a great event as usual, and I'll probably be back next year.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »
I posted yesterday that lodging will be in short supply in Chattanooga during the days of our Dixie Cup due to the Iron Man competition, which is going to be huge from what I understand.

We have been very fortunate to reserve a block of rooms very close to Lookout Mountain and Black Creek Golf Clubs.  The days will be arriving 9/24 and leaving 9/27.  The rate will be $94.

If you are going to attend the 2015 Dixie Cup or are thinking seriously about it, please contact the Clarion Inn, which is in Cummings Highway, Chattanooga.  The phone number is 423 -821-5500.  The group name with the reservation will be 2015 Dixie Cup.

Eric, are those rooms all double double?

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

We have been very fortunate to reserve a block of rooms very close to Lookout Mountain and Black Creek Golf Clubs.  The days will be arriving 9/24 and leaving 9/27.  The rate will be $94.

Eric, are those rooms all double double?

I told them to hold as many rooms as possible with 2 queen beds.

As a side note Bill, I had no idea about what this Iron Man thing is even about, but talking to a few people since, it is really really big.  It is going to tie up the whole area and be a boom for Chattanooga.  The golf courses are in a relatively quiet area, maybe 10 minutes or so from downtown.

Really recommend everyone who is interested call the Clarion and get their reservation in.    It is a nice, clean hotel, and surrounded by stores and restaurants.  The little time we spend in our rooms, it should serve us well.   If the Clarion runs out of rooms, there is also a Best Western right across the street.  It is also very clean.  This would be a Plan B and Plan C is the Comfort Inn just off Cummings Hwy,  I have stayed there, it is very clean and an excellent breakfast buffet.

I had thought about dropping out of the Dixie Cup myself to do the Iron Man thing.  Still on the fence about it, but if you'all can endure my erratic play another year, Dixie Cup it shall probably be!   Just joking of course, would not miss the Dixie for anything!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:33:16 PM by Eric Strulowitz »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
I posted yesterday that lodging will be in short supply in Chattanooga during the days of our Dixie Cup due to the Iron Man competition, which is going to be huge from what I understand. . . .

As a side note Bill, I had no idea about what this Iron Man thing is even about, but talking to a few people since, it is really really big.  It is going to tie up the whole area and be a boom for Chattanooga. . . .

I know this is OT, but out of curiosity I checked out the Ironman.  It's official name is the "Little Debbie Ironman Chattanooga," Little Debbie being the name sponsor.  Must be a message in there somewhere.  The only issue for us could be traffic tie-ups, but it looks like the main race is Sunday a.m., and hopefully it won't be on, or tie up, the highways we need to use.  http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga.aspx#axzz3SOUAunvf   Here's the road closure info from the 2014 race: http://www.ironman.com/~/media/c37013f3ae084b2583e52a586455efd3/im%20chattanooga%20traffic%20impact%20%20%20final%20for%20print.pdf
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:58:54 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back