News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

My First Born Turns to Alcohol
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »
It's a pun ... my son is fine.

However I just read that the land for High Pointe has been sold to a brewery company to be their hops farm.

Drinks are on me!

Don Mahaffey

Re: My First Born Turns to Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Well, if it had to be sold....

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Such a shame. But a hops farm is better than housing or a strip mall.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
Doak IPA

Will Lozier

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »
HighPA - High Point Ale!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
Hope we don't see a thread one day titled "CommonGround Goes To Pot"...

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
Tom,
Will they use your irrigation system?  I had a guy convert 9 holes on one of mine to blueberries and he is doing well with it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »

High Pointe would be a better name for a Weed Ranch.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
Odd, but I think Glen Garden in Ft. Worth also got sold to build a distillery company.  Maybe a new trend in golf.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »

Quick brilliance.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Highest and Best Use.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Seitz

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
Why not a hops farm and a golf course?  It could be the Michigan version of the Chardonnay Club!

Here's the article: http://www.traverseticker.com/story/prominent-golf-course-sold-to-become-hops-farm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:51:47 PM by Bill Seitz »

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:12:08 PM »

I actually laughed out loud.

perhaps they need a fairway mower operator
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
That's pretty good, actually. Imagine the shame of the architect whose golf course was taken over so that it could be turned into a  different golf course.  That's gotta sting, at least a little bit.

High Pointe SPA - The local Special Pale Ale that helps you feel like you were Someplace Else. Take a long, expensive vacation or just drink a High Pointe SPA right here in America -- you won't be able to tell the difference.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »

Now that's funny.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:33:45 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

BCowan

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »
It's a pun ... my son is fine.

However I just read that the land for High Pointe has been sold to a brewery company to be their hops farm.

Drinks are on me!
    Can u tell us which brewery?  Is it Right Brain, Founders, Bells, or Shorts? 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
I think Hops is going through the same boom golf did in it's heyday --I would bet we can buy this back when the IPA boom goes bust and people get back to beer that is actually pleasant to drink rather than choke down. I'll set a reminder for the Fall of 2018.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/prominent-golf-course-sold-to-become-hops-farm

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Rees Milikin

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
I would bet we can buy this back when the IPA boom goes bust and people get back to beer that is actually pleasant to drink rather than choke down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »
I think Hops is going through the same boom golf did in it's heyday --I would bet we can buy this back when the IPA boom goes bust and people get back to beer that is actually pleasant to drink rather than choke down. I'll set a reminder for the Fall of 2018.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/prominent-golf-course-sold-to-become-hops-farm

Cheers to that!

john_stiles

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
It is always a sad day to hear of such.    Odd this would be posted after I left for lunch and was driving past the boundary for Deane Hill in Knoxville. I thought you played down this hill to a green,  probably about where the Old Navy store sits.

Back to the present,  years ago in Michigan,  I had to buy a jacket when it turned cold in June and was caught without anything heavy to wear for summer golf in Michigan.

Will need to find my High Pointe jacket tonight, wear it to the brew pub and drink a couple of nut browns.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »

I'll take that bet.  That is why bud spent 9 million attacking craft beer.  Most beers have hops, its not just ipa.  I drink blowns, porters, and Stouts.  Only thing that will ru in craft is politicans.  Like they did before with leg.  Craft beer is just getting started.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »
I would bet we can buy this back when the IPA boom goes bust and people get back to beer that is actually pleasant to drink rather than choke down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

I don't mind a Bud now and then but prefer this version
http://www.budejovickybudvar.cz/en/index.html
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
There goes my answer to "What golf course will you buy when you win the lottery?"

Here's an article:
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Buck Wolter

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »

I'll take that bet.  That is why bud spent 9 million attacking craft beer.  Most beers have hops, its not just ipa.  I drink blowns, porters, and Stouts.  Only thing that will ru in craft is politicans.  Like they did before with leg.  Craft beer is just getting started.

I don't think Craft brewing is going to crash but Hop farms are sprouting up faster than brewers and there will be a Hops glut in no time --google 'Hops Boom'. One of the rules of Economics is the cure for high prices is high prices.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »

What's a blown beer?  Monica L Light?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back