News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Jasper Park History by Ian Andrew
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
‘I’ve been asked numerous times, if I had only a single round to play, where would I want to play? My answer has always been Jasper Park Golf Course. For me, it is the quintessential Canadian golfing experience. Something you can’t find anywhere else in the world.’

That is quote from the Afterword of Ian Andrew’s superb treatise now featured under Best of Golf/Course Histories.  His writing is part memoir, part critique and wholly engaging. Tiny words on a computer screen cannot possibly capture the grandeur of Jasper; you must see in person things like the Chief silhouette etched along the top of the distant peeks. So imagine the pressure that Ian felt to do his favorite course justice. Yet, I dare say that his effort evokes as much feeling for the place as you will ever find in printed word. His research, writing style, personal experiences and Thompson's illustrations (wonderfully colored by Ian) conspire to make Thompson’s timeless design amid the majestic mountains jump out of Ian's exposition.  In particular, Ian painstakingly shows how Jasper morphed from being a fine effort into something much more special. Is there any more distinctively bunkered course between Royal Melbourne and Oakmont?  ???

Jasper has always garnered praise. Alister MacKenzie loved the place, same for George Thomas.  What else do you need to know?! Fortuitously, Jasper remains pure magic to this day – none of us who attended the GolfClubAtlas.com gathering there (and Banff) in 2004 thought otherwise.

Everyone who knows Ian and/or follows his blog knows him to be both thoughtful and a fine writer. This piece was a long time in coming and the finished product reflects that. No better way to summarize the treat he shares with us than with his own words, ‘And that is why Jasper Park is so personal to me. It is the embodiment of what I believe great architecture is should be. It is my entire set of ideals displayed in Canada’s most impressive landscape.’

Bravo – like Jasper Park, worthy of a standing ovation!

Best,

Gary Sato

Re: Jasper Park History by Ian Andrew
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
One of the most impressive writings on GCA.  Thank you Mr. Andrew.

The 10th hole may be the largest collections of bunkers I have seen.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
Ran,
I have just had the quickest of "peaks" at this essay and it is a topper.  I will print it out and savour it at my ease! What a labour of love.  For anyone who is a member of this fine course/club how lucky are they to have such a thoughtful and detailed vignette/record of their course.

I enjoyed the photos from a bygone opening day and Ian's "watercolours" are exquisite. Jasper Park a course with 18 holes all named! I was particularly impressed with Hole 7 – Colin’s Clout!

Great stuff Ian, bodes well for future efforts!

Thanks,  Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
Very nice. Wonderful olde photos. Having the plans coloured is very helpful.

Other than JP's 9th/Cleopatra and CBH 6th/Mucklemouth Meg what other examples would there be of Stanley Thompson's sense of humour in golf design?

atb

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
Great work, Ian. Thanks.

I find this particularly interesting: “[Mr. A.J. Hills] and Mr. Stanley Thompson, the architect of the course, made visits to some of the most celebrated American courses before the plans at Jasper Park were finally decided upon and complete.”

And, “The highest comparative standards were set up. While not attempting the harsh difficulties of Pine Valley, the interest attaching, as on that course, to each shot was kept in mind. The large scale of doing things at the National Links of the USA (Southampton LI) was made part of the objective, as well as the modern scale of lengths and the bunkering treatment found at Gleneagles – most notable of countryside courses recently built in Great Britain. ”

Very, very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:09:28 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
Other than JP's 9th/Cleopatra and CBH 6th/Mucklemouth Meg what other examples would there be of Stanley Thompson's sense of humour in golf design?

At Cape Breton Highlands (highlands Links) there are:

1. The "Tam" (hat) shaped green

2. The Dragon and Fireball on the 5th

3. Mucklemouth Meg at the 6th

4. The Donkey's Ears at the 10th

5. The Laird's face on the 13th

At Constant Springs you have all all the plant references .... and quite a few sea creatures in plan:

Cutten Fields has the "chess board" green ... still there (1st hole)

Digby Pine has the ? (question mark) bunker on the short drivable par four. It sits between you and the green

Banff Springs has the horseshoe bunker on the current 16th (old 2nd green)

And from the Saturday Evening Post article, regarding San Andres, Bogota Columbia "Airplane landing strip will parallel some of the fairways. and the traps, when viewed from the air, will spell out the name of the course."

There is also an ST trap combination somewhere and I can't remember where for the life of me....

-

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Jeff,

I went through Stanley's travels - what he had seen - with Geoff Cornish before he passed away.
He was very well traveled.

Links in the UK in his youth, major courses in US (including a trip to California).
He saw quite a lot.
-

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
Ian,

Great stuff. Thanks for answering. I'll look them up.

atb

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
Another one from this year's discovery - Cutten Fields 1930 plan

The Church Green - most prominent feature in that city is the Catholic Church on the high point in the distance

-

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »
Jeff,

I went through Stanley's travels - what he had seen - with Geoff Cornish before he passed away.
He was very well traveled.

Links in the UK in his youth, major courses in US (including a trip to California).
He saw quite a lot.

Makes sense, and very interesting to know.

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of his "sense of humour" stuff, a la Desmond Muirhead.
jeffmingay.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
I still think that dragon looks like a kangaroo. Did Stanley travel to Oz?  ;)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »

This is one of those times when I wish Golf Club Atlas had a "Like" button!
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
Ian,
I enjoyed the read. I still have to play Canada sometime....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Is Mackenzie's trip to Jasper Park on the timeline?

I guess I could look it up....

Whoops, not in an In My Opinion" pieces or in Best of Golf section. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:20:52 PM by Bill_McBride »

Ed Homsey

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
Ian's piece on Jasper Park is a masterpiece.  Interesting, informative, and beautifully written and illustrated.  Thanks for a great contribution to the story of golf course architecture and one of its geniuses.

C. Sturges

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
Great work Ian!  I have wanted to see and play the great courses of Canada before reading this, but now I want to NOW!  And this is what I think great golf writing makes you want to do, go and see and play the course/courses being described.

I look forward to my first visit to Canada for golf and I look forward to more of your writing about it!

Thank you,
chris

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
Chris,

I've considered doing the same for Banff, St. George's, Capilano and Cape Breton Highlands.
Perhaps, one per year ...

I have most of what I need for Banff now, all I need for STG and CBH, but Capilano would take a lot more research.

It would provide a real good perspective on his work.
-

C. Sturges

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 11:05:48 PM »
Ian,

I for one would love you to do a history of the other courses when you have time!  I will be looking forward to them.

Ian, what course of yours do you think is most similar/ has the principles like Jasper Park?

Thanks again for posting!
chris

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »

I was at Highlands with Ian when he finished restoring that bunker, so he knew my view then... I recall we discussed it over a pretty decent bottle of red!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »

I was at Highlands with Ian when he finished restoring that bunker, so he knew my view then... I recall we discussed it over a pretty decent bottle of red!

Something tells me the next one is on me in England.  :)

The intention is to put it all back, there are very few examples of his architecture left intact.
There should be at least one or two, regardless of what was there.
-

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »
Ian, Thanks for the information.

Having heard Mr. Cooper talk on the many changes ST made over the years, and then playing the course, I couldn't help but feel there was a causal connection between The good Doctor, and, Mr. Thompson. Specifically in the design style and placement of the added bunkers. And not just the added bunkers at Jasper, but future works of Mr. Thompson elsewhere, too. If ST travelled and saw what his contemporaries were doing, isn't it reasonable to assume that he may have borrowed aspects he saw as progressive and of merit?

Personally, I loved the quote from ST about the thrill of the heroic carry on the tenth. It touched on what I recall most about playing Jasper Park. That's the feeling you get on that journey. I was positively giddy as the round progressed to it's emotional climax.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back