News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Course match up: Saunton East vs. Bude and North Cornwall
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »
You've got to admire Garland for his perseverance if nothing else for perpetuating this one-man thread in the face of universal apathy.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »
Duncan,

I doubt many have played Bude. Therefore, they don't have much to contribute. Others, perhaps are too doubtful of their conclusions to allow a light to be shown upon them. Ryan had an opportunity to engage, but instead expressed disdain. Since he did not follow through, perhaps he has not played Bude.

I have one message expressing thanks and the desire to play Bude in the future.

The page views go up, so at least some people are paying attention.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:48 AM »
Garland,

If you could put together a composite course comprising the best holes from each course which holes would be in your ultimate 18?

atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
Garland,

If you could put together a composite course comprising the best holes from each course which holes would be in your ultimate 18?

atb

Are you asking for a matchup of each of the holes in sequence?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
SE 2(499 yards) vs. B&NC 11(482 yards)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51415.msg1175611.html#msg1175611   

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59960.msg1416858.html#msg1416858   

The Saunton hole slowly reveals itself as you proceed. Sean says “It is disorienting” about the tee shot. I think the same about the second shot.  I think repeated plays would solve that. For those that would want to reach the green in two, the hole narrows to twenty yards on the cover to the ditch that threatens a one stroke penalty on either side as the ditch goes underground and re-emerges. Since the hole slightly doglegs to the left twice, the long approach actually has a better angle into the green than if the second shot positions the player into the fairway short of the green, where the pin can be more easily tucked behind the right bunkers. As soft as the hole played when I was there, it meant this second shot positioning did not penalize the approach over the bunkers as it would in ideal links conditions.

At Bude, the tee shot is blind and a bit up hill to a point where the hole reasonably levels out. This rise to the tee shot will make the hole play closer to the length of the Saunton hole. Like the Saunton hole this hole exhibits two slight doglegs, but in this case it first goes left then right.  As can be seen in the photo, the fairway heaves this way and that like a typical links.

I see the difference between these holes as one is fun (Bude), the other demanding. Getting a four is probably easier at Bude, more satisfying at Saunton (given that it is not soft and you can just wedge over the bunkers and hold near the hole). I will call this one a draw.

B&NC still five up.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
Garland,
atb

Apologies if I wasn't clear earlier. What I was wondering was if you could pick the best par-3's, par-4's, and par-5's from either course to jointly make up a total of 18-holes which would be the holes you would include.
atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »
Garland,
atb

Apologies if I wasn't clear earlier. What I was wondering was if you could pick the best par-3's, par-4's, and par-5's from either course to jointly make up a total of 18-holes which would be the holes you would include.
atb

Par 3s
Saunton 5 & 13
Bude 8

Par 5s
Saunton 2
Bude 11 & 18

Par 4s
Saunton 8, 12, 16, 18
Bude 2, 3, 6, 7, 12, 14, 16, 17

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
There are three mismatched holes remaining.

SE 18(387 yards) vs. Bude 13(202 yards)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51415.msg1175637.html#msg1175637   

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59960.msg1417100.html#msg1417100   

The 18th at Saunton is a dogleg guarded well by a dune at the inside and bunkers on the outside. It has the undulation that you expect from a links course in the dunes. The green is well guarded by bunkers, with an edge given to an approach from near the inside of the dogleg. A fine hole. One with character that I wish could be found throughout the course.

The 13th at Bude is the longest, most demanding par three. I would better be able to analyze its challenges with more opportunities, but I feel safe in giving this match to Saunton.

B&NC four up.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:10 AM »
Thank you Garland. 7 holes from Saunton and 11 from B&NC.  Surprised you haven't included 9 within the SE choices, a fab hole with a fab/evil/cruel/lovely green IMO, but it's your choice so no worries.

atb
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:50:34 AM by Thomas Dai »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
9 could have made the list, but for a player like me that is challenged directionally the best play is lay up, lay up on a 380 yard hole. I prefer architecture that makes the best players choose to layup, not the weak players.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »
SE 7(402 yards) vs. B&NC 2(316 yards)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51415.msg1175618.html#msg1175618

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59960.msg1416025.html#msg1416025   

These two holes have similarities other than the length we used to match the first 15 holes in this match. They are straight holes with bunkers in the fairway, with perhaps the ideal approach line being one of flight over a fairway bunker. Although the Bude hole measures only 316 yards, since it plays slightly up hill it will only be reachable from the tee by the strongest of players or with a strong tail wind. This means that the fairway bunkers must be contemplated on the tee. The Saunton hole bunker on the preferred line is over three hundred yards from the tee, making playing short of it an relatively easy choice. The other fairway bunkers would only punish shots far from ideal. As usual Bude has more undulation, although to a lesser degree than usual and less penal rough.

I give this hole match to Bude for the fairway bunkers in play, the ground swells, and the playable rough.

B&NC five up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:57:19 PM by GJ Bailey »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
SE 4(428 yards) vs. B&NC 15(375 yards)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51415.msg1175613.html#msg1175613   

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59960.msg1417148.html#msg1417148   

Saunton has a long par four with bunkers on the left of the fairway. The ideal side to approach the green is from that side so the tiger golfer is tested to play close to the hazard.

Bude has a set of bunkers running directly across the fairway making the rabbit golfer be penalized for not being a tiger that can easily carry the hazard. It may very well be that the rabbit golfer is best off playing to an adjoining fairway to avoid the hazard. If the rabbit plays short of the hazard in the landing zone, it brings a stream running across the fairway again in the area his second shot might be played to. Certainly on a single play this hole will be the least fun for the average player.

SE easily wins this hole match, but falls over all four down.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back