News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Buck

Re: Sandhills NC
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
I moved to Southern Pines 8 years ago from NJ. As one who shoes horses for a living, working outside, being leaned on by 1200 lbs animals, working in front of a 2500 degree forge I can tell you that it is on the whole  less oppressive here than it was in NJ. Walking 18 holes in NJ regularly soaked my golf shirts, does not often happen here. While hotter here the oppressive early morning humidity is usually burned off by the sun. I hypothesize that the sand, like the desert, doesn't hold the moisture. That said we do get some very hot humid days but they never keep me off the course.
My suggestions: Mid Pines, #2, Southern Pines, Dormie, Tobacco Road.

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it. 

Not sure if we will be late June or early July, and I'm sure it's hot, but I don't think it will bother us that much.  My dad recently had hip surgery, so outside of #2, I doubt he'll be walking too much, certainly not carrying his own.  Which leads to another question, what is the normal cost of caddie at Mid Pines and Dormie?  Do they double bag or single?

Keith Phillips

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »
Sounds like a great trip - my two cents:

1. I love Dormie but agree there is so much quality in the area that I wouldn't play 36 anywhere other than possibly #2
2. My group liked #8 a lot, but we didn't play Mid Pines or Southern Pines so I can't rank vs. those
3. If you do want to play a shorter course on a 36-hole day then #3 might suit you - short with small greens - I believe it's original Ross but may be mistaken

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
it seems like there are seven variations of this thread to get opinions on the courses, and all very helpful.

I am planning my first trip for this summer for my dad's 60th (and my 40th) birthdays.  He's a longtime superintendent and we've never been able to go on a golf trip together, so I figure it's time.  I assume there is no better place to ask a few questions then here.  Preliminary plan would arrive at RDU about 9:00 AM on Sunday and fly out about 6:00 on Wednesday.  Small chance we'd extend for one more day.

Preliminary plan would be Tobacco Road on the way down, 2 of Mid Pines/Pine Needles/Southern Pines on day 2, 36 at Dormie day 3, #2 on the morning of the last day.  Lodging at the Pine Crest Inn.  Other courses under potential consideration, Raleigh Country Club and Forest Creek. 

Questions:

-  I know the summer is hot, but is there any particular time to avoid?  Right now looking at mid-July
-  I see references to "deals in the summer".  Does this just mean prices are lower if we book in the summer, or is there be a benefit to waiting to book tee times (except #2) when we are very near that date.  Outside of #2, prices appear pretty reasonable, so it's likely best to have plan booked in advance.
-  Pine Crest Inn website shows access to #2, I want to verify they have advanced access as opposed to calling night before. 
-  Any other lodging I should consider?  It seems Mid Pines/Pine Needles have great deals if you stay on site, but you potentially lose access to #2.  Is it rather easy to get on #2 mid-week in July?

Any help is much appreciated. 

Andrew,

My dad and I will be there doing the exact same thing July 16-19. If we cross paths let me know. He's an 18 hole/day kind of guy so I might break away for another round. First time too.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Andrew,
Caddies for all of the above mentioned courses, except the Pinehurst resort courses, can be arranged through "caddiewalk.com". They do singles, doubles, forecaddies or whatever combination you need. Base prices less tip are listed on their website. From that group I can personally recommend Danny Kirby (910-988-2882)
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
Can anyone tell me what playing conditions are likely to be in late November, say Thanksgiving week? Are the resorts there busy over Thanksgiving? 

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
David,

That's probably a great time to go.  Pretty close to prime-time weather wise and a lot of guys can't plan a golf trip that weekend.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jay Mickle

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
David,
Temps range from the low 40s (rare) to the mid 70s during the day with typical highs in the mid 50s. The courses are in great shape at that time and there is little outside play around the holidays. Get in touch if you make it down.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
Jud & Jay -

Thanks for your replies. At this point it is a long shot, but it could happen.

DT

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
David,

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a walking gathering in the Sandhills in October.  You might want to consider that option.  I have gone down the last week of November to NC for the last 3 years.  The weather can be iffy, but the courses are less cluttered.  Jay is a great guy to play with.  

David_Madison

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
Ryan,

A really great way to spend a day, especially when the days are long, is to play/ride 18 at Pine Needles in the morning. Grab lunch, and then walk Mid-Pines. I've had guests out and done this, and it's really worked out well. It's  full day, but not too exhausting. If you play with a member (I'm one and there are others here such as Jay, and we'd be happy to take you out) the cost is extremely reasonable and you'll see two of the best courses in the area.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »
Living a couple hundred miles south of the Sandhills area I agree with Jay about two things. November, even as late into November as Thanksgiving, is wonderful for golf in this part of the country. Dry and moderate to cool, the months of October and November are peak golf season to my mind.

Also, his point about morning humidity in the summertime is dead on. After years of trying to play earlier and earlier in the morning during June-July-August it finally dawned on me these past couple of summers that the intense heat of afternoon can be manageable as long as I stay well hydrated. At least that time of day the sweat will evaporate and cool you off a bit. It maybe be 20F cooler at 8am but the relative humidity is invariably a full 100% (especially given that the grass is saturated from the early morning irrigation water) and the experience is just a soggy, sorry mess from the moment you step onto the first tee.

Wish I'd figure that out a decade or so ago. I might have to drink two gallons of water on a July afternoon round but at least it passes through and does me some good instead of just dripping into my eyes and onto my hands like a water torture in the early morning dampness.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »
I made a similar trip to the Sand hills last December and the weather was good.  Mid 50s with some sun here and there.  Much better than Chicago...

I agree with David's comment.  In my mind, there might not be a better 36 hole day than Pine Needles and Mid Pines (convenience and course wise).  Pine Needles was good and reminded me a lot of the other Ross courses I have played.  Mid Pines was even better.  It is fun, easy to walk, and very playable.  In addition to that, it has a great look to it that I have not seen on many other courses.  I really enjoyed the back nine as the elevation change and contours were used so well along the back edge of the property.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »
Good luck with the trip Darren -

Hopefully you post after visiting the area and share your experience with the group.  I'm also making my first trip to Pinehurst during Masters week, playing #2, Mid-Pines and Dormie Club while in the area so I'd definitely be interested in your thoughts.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »
Is there a financial benefit to playing Mid Pines and Pine Needles the same day?  Obviously it makes sense logistically, but fitting in number 2 may require us to split them up.  Do you receive a discount for playing both in the same day?

Philip Hensley

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »
Yes, and if you play with a member the guest fee is for all day, you just pay for a cart each round.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »
Also there will likely be a TWGS outing in early October there. Great rates for guests of members, and the weather is amazing that time of year. And the days are still long so there's plenty of time to get in more than 18.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
DO NOT overlook Southern Pines CC. It is a great layout and a super fun golf course. You can't go wrong with No. 2, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Southern Pines CC and maybe Tobacco Road for sure.
Last 6:
NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)

Andrew Buck

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
DO NOT overlook Southern Pines CC. It is a great layout and a super fun golf course. You can't go wrong with No. 2, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Southern Pines CC and maybe Tobacco Road for sure.

It certainly seems there are no shortages of options for a first trip .. six rounds doesn't seem like enough. 

Right now the biggest issue I'm having is do I go through the hassle of staying onsite one day to ensure access to #2, or risk waiting until 3 days prior staying the whole trip at the Pinecrest. 

BCowan

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
Andrew,

you want to hit up Maxies Bar when you are there.  It is where the Pinehurst caddies hang.  It's a gem. 

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
Just be mindful of the Golfaris at PN in the summer. Access to PN can be limited if there is one going on. You may have to play MP first and PN second and later in the day if a weekday with the youth on site.  No issues really except for timing. Plenty of daylight.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
I will say I was mildly shocked after calling the resort just how few tee times on #2 are actually available in June and July at this point.  Seems a short stroll from the Pine Crest to the Manor for one night will be in order.  

I assume most the other courses will not have such high demand. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
I will say I was mildly shocked after calling the resort just how few tee times on #2 are actually available in June and July at this point.  Seems a short stroll from the Pine Crest to the Manor for one night will be in order.  

The tournament schedule is impressive.  Pinehurst should be commended for their dedication to amateur golf.  Maybe all the parents fill up the rooms and other courses.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Not in June or July. In July you can get some pretty great deals especially at places like Southern Pines GC and Tobacco Road.

If you're absolutely set on playing #2 then just book the resort for one night and not leave it to chance. You can fit the other courses in around your schedule then.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »

Not in June or July. In July you can get some pretty great deals especially at places like Southern Pines GC and Tobacco Road.

If you're absolutely set on playing #2 then just book the resort for one night and not leave it to chance. You can fit the other courses in around your schedule then.

Thanks, that is the route taken.  We are booked at the manor for Sunday, June 21st and will move over to pine crest after that.  I was just surprised that even staying on-site and considering 7 or 8 dates, there were only a couple with availability on #2.  It is a top 20 course available to the public, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Glad to know the other courses in the area will be much easier to plan around.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:43:37 PM by Andrew Buck »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »
From about July 21 to Aug 1 the US Teen and US Kids world championships are played in and about Pinehurst. Some of the resort courses as well as Mid Pines and Southern Pines are competition venues. Thousands of juniors parents, grandparents, coaches etc from around the world descend en masse.  A documentary movie about the US Kids World championships is an absolute must see.  "The Short Game" is available on Netflix. Most of play is on Longleaf and Mid Pines (pre restoration).
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back