News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

The BBC lose coverage of The Open
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »
Gone to Sky Sports from 2016.

That's probably the end of me watching pro golf at home.

Jon Wiggett

Re: The BBC lose coverage of The Open
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
Unbelievable. If ever the R&A were interested in growing the game in the UK this decision shows it certainly is no longer the case. Its a disgrace >:(

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »
Another great decision by THE PICKLEHEADS. Sad day indeed.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:07:24 AM »
Thankfully the last of Dawson's decisions.   Good ridance.
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »
Thankfully the last of Dawson's decisions.   Good ridance.

Joining the USGA with FOX coverage.
Another money grab.

Which inevitably begs the question-what exactly do both organizations need so much money in the war chest for?
Other than to say" we can't legislate against equipment that fundamentally alters the game and courses we play(other than grooves and Bernhard Langer) for fear we'll lose our war chest"

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:25:25 AM »
Tony

It may be Dawson's final act, but it is just the start of the beginning of the end for the R&A (and the BBC).

When I hear "grow the game" I think  "follow the money" and smell desperation.

When I hear "The BBC is a national treasure" I hear a death knell.

Welcome to the 21st Century.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

JESII

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Has the BBC been the televised feed for Open coverage in the states?

If so, the actual camera work can only improve with Sky...selfishly from the US, this can't be a bad thing.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:44:12 AM »
Jim,

I strongly disagree.  The BBC coverage is a tonic from the usual barrage of overly chatty talking heads and commercial interruptions. They were the only remaining ones who's aesthetic approximated the serenity of the game itself.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul Dolton

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
Gone to Sky Sports from 2016.

That's probably the end of me watching pro golf at home.

Couldn't agree more Ally. An incredibly short sighted decision.

Its "a price of everything and the value of Nothing " decision.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »

If so, the actual camera work can only improve with Sky...selfishly from the US, this can't be a bad thing.

Jim

I fully agree that the BBC camera work is sophomoric and often pathetic.  Also, the commentary (particularly the rapidly degrading Peter Allis) is not much better.  Sky, however, whilst better in camera work is equally useless in terms of commentary.  Maybe getting a Sky feed with US commentators would be an ideal result.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:20:19 AM »
Jim,

I strongly disagree.  The BBC coverage is a tonic from the usual barrage of overly chatty talking heads and commercial interruptions. They were the only remaining ones who's aesthetic approximated the serenity of the game itself.

Jud,

Where do you live?

Paul Dolton

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »
Its not a question of camera work or commentators. Its about giving everybody a chance to see the the worlds greatest championship on great courses. They obviously do not have the games interest at heart. Shockingly bad move.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »

How long is the contract ie our purgatory?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
A sad day indeed.

It seems TV coverage of this great game is going the way of Golf Digest. More ads, more "hip", more....soulless.

If there are "golf gods", there will be much that the leaders of these governing bodies must atone for.

I will miss Mr. Alliss taking us on a pleasant journey through the great courses across the pond and his random off the  cuff remarks about a child eating his ice cream cone that the camera happens to capture, or the napping spectator on the hillside. I fear he may be the last of the voices that link us to the great eras of the past.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »

Which inevitably begs the question-what exactly do both organizations need so much money in the war chest for?

It's a good question. I don't have a good answer.

But any answer must answer another question first - how does an organization turn down tens of millions of additional dollars/pounds to its annual operating budget? How does senior management at the USGA and the R&A explain to their various constituencies that it has declined vast sums of money for broadcast rights, however badly those broadcast rights might be handled? I don't have a good answer to that question either.

Bob  

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
I guess free machinery for 140 courses in 40 countries, golf and greenkeeping scholarships, running championships, financial support to golf unions around the world and interest free loans to golf clubs all cost money.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Dolton

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »
I guess free machinery for 140 courses in 40 countries, golf and greenkeeping scholarships, running championships, financial support to golf unions around the world and interest free loans to golf clubs all cost money.

If you limit the numbers of people watching the game you soon wont have to worry about financing its growth.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »
Unbelievable. If ever the R&A were interested in growing the game in the UK this decision shows it certainly is no longer the case. Its a disgrace >:(
John I think you'll find the R&A is a global organisation and the UK only forms a moderate proportion of their work.

Paul - what are the BBC golf viewing figures in Brazil, Angola & Portugal?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:35:11 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
If this august group doesn't realize that golf as televised entertainment and golf the game itself are distinct entities, then I guess nobody does. Remarkable.

The R&A is a huge, lucrative enterprise extracting maximum value for its biggest money-earning product by selling rights to the highest bidder. Nothing more, nothing less. To expect otherwise is fanciful, to think that doing so in some way dooms the greater game is ludicrous.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 10:47:10 AM »
If this august group doesn't realize that golf as televised entertainment and golf the game itself are distinct entities, then I guess nobody does. Remarkable.

The R&A is a huge, lucrative enterprise extracting maximum value for its biggest money-earning product by selling rights to the highest bidder. Nothing more, nothing less. To expect otherwise is fanciful, to think that doing so in some way dooms the greater game is ludicrous.
I don't agree with you Brett. TV is a big influence, that's why people advertise. The Open on our NORMAL TV here in the UK is a big thing, it is still a small figure that have SKY (because of price).....SO OUR IMPORTANT ADVERT TO STIMULATE THE GAME is now going out to a smaller audience. Remember the BBC channel is widely free throughout the whole world.

I started playing golf after watching the OPEN championship, though I also think Pro Celebrity Golf on BBC was a big thing in stimulating the seventies golf boom....if the BBC ran that at different courses around the country that would give the game a desperate leg up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:02:08 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
Will Ivor Robson go away too?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Paul Dolton

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »
John I think you'll find the R&A is a global organisation and the UK only forms a moderate proportion of their work.

Paul - what are the BBC golf viewing figures in Brazil, Angola & Portugal?

I have no idea but if the r and a sell the rights there their policy will eventually be the same. No matter how much money you have you need people to be interested in playing the game. The open is golfs greatest advert and fewer people will see it as soon as sky takes over.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Terry - I'm sure they are looking to replace him with someone who high fives all the players and lists their all golfing and charitable achievements.

It's a bad day for us non-Sky subscribing golf fans, I remember the days of watching the Lords test without an advert in sight. As a global organisation the R&A will no doubt argue there's far more developmental opportunities around the globe than in Glasgow or Gateshead.
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
Jim,

Jud,

Where do you live?

Chicago,

But the full coverage is available on DirecTV.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan Coles

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
I view this slightly differently to most.

I think if the situation is to be criticised that criticism should be directed towards the BBC rather than the R&A.

BBC just aren't interested in golf or even most sports beyond Football and the Boat Race. Did they even bid? The new deal is only £3 million pa more than they currently pay. I'm not convinced the impact on golf participation in the UK will be anything like as profound as some are suggesting. It is declining despite already being on BBC and despite of Tiger Woods in his pomp. BBC was a big deal when there were only four channels here and everything was closed on a Sunday, I'm not convinced that this will even create a ripple in participation rates and if one week a year on BBC fronted by a bloke in his 80's is that crucial to the game then it's probably too far gone anyway.

Sky TV has had a positive impact on most sports it invests in.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back