News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Living the Dream: A Six Months Caddying Sabbatical
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Somewhere in the summer where the days are long so YOU, the caddie could enjoy the golf and the area.
Caddying at Calusa Pines, or any other snowbird winter location, is going to allow little time to enjoy golf or anything else during daylight hours.
Believe it or not you're going to need to caddie when the course needs you to caddy, not just when you feel the desire to.

St. Andrews, Cabot,  or Bandon would seem the most logical places,though my guess is Canada's a nighmare getting
working papers (my daughter lives in Canada and has dealt with the hoops) and St. Andrews may be the same.

So Bandon it is-playing priviledges, long days, interesting people, fantastic scenerey.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:02:27 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
Three years out with a lot of life to live between now and then.   Great ideas thus far and I hope at least I've triggered a few imaginations in addition to my own.

The key factors would be simplitity and relative affordability.  Goodbye Cypress Point and Seminole.    Beyond that, a beach for the Mrs., a nice mixture of golfers and locals, fresh groceries and no automobile.  Quaint protestant church with no holds barred preaching.  Rail access to London might be the deciding factor.  A comfy bed for my afternoon nap and a second bedroom for frequent visitors.  

Chappers, Deal could be the early front-runner.

Bogey
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:21:46 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
Cabot Links / Cabot Cliffs

Nice place to spend a summer for your wife - might matter more than you preferences - assuming you want to stay married.
Not hard to find a place for a reasonable rental "overlooking the ocean" for the full season.
People are friendly.
East cost of Canada is beautiful ...

The courses are both worth studying.
"They need caddies"
You have likely met the owner - helps get the position...

Sounds like fun.
-

V. Kmetz

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
Hiya,

Our board is littered with people who have engaged a similar experience or swim in those waters regularly. It could well be done, within limits.

1. The idea of course hopping over the six months is nearly DOA; while some caddiemaster-starters "might" be OK with it, many would not. The basic ability that impresses most caddiemasters here (and abroad I reckon), is "avail-ability." The toughest job a club CM has is to maintain availability for a imprecise crowd, that even when they are scheduled, fluctuates. Even so, the caddie who secures such an arrangement is at the bottom of the totem pole each morning...if sitting on pines for 4-6 hours isn't one's thing. In the long summer hours of a place like Scotland, I understand that you can show up at 7 am...not get out until noon, get back in at 4:30...think you're done...and be asked to wait until 6:00 for a late-scheduled round/request, come home in the dark of 10:30...and back up at 5:30am for the next day, where you might get out once, after waiting until 2 o' clock for it.

2. That said, I have a close friend, a successful writer, who worked two or three seasons at St. Andrews, and was sometimes sent to nearby classic courses outside of the  "auld grey toon" for odd assignments...so he got to see more than just one course, He knows everything about the whole of being an import into St. Andrews. If MH or anyone else wants to make a true inquiry, send it to me, as a message, and I'll have Don get back to you.

3. No matter what the technical details, the best shot one has is at a 36 hole (or greater) area of facility. If there's multiple courses on one club or within the neighborhood, there's a good chance to make it happen. the 36 hole courses I know best...WF, Baltusrol, Westchester employ caddies like M&Ms and are ready to accept such things. (Plus WF occasionally sends caddies to other courses clustered nearby when they can be spared...QR, stanwich, etc)

4. Not that this matters to the "dream" aspect of doing it, but...in Scotland, you're doing one bag (no doubles) for about $120-$150 per bag, twice a day means about $250-$300 on days you do two (which i'm told are frequent). In an American model, you'll more often do two bags at about $90-$100 per (both figures include tip), but much rarer to do two loops.  But the days you are fortunate to get two assignments, it can be a sweet number, and you're sleeping real good.

5. Which kind of brings to mind the idea stated by many posters, that you're going to be "playing" quite a bit in whatever area you choose. If you're really caddying, and link up with a course and are being exercised...you have little time or energy to play much golf. It is a statement meant for intern professionals and other young golf staff, but its truth applies to caddies too, "If you want to play golf, don't get in the golf business." Through my work and contacts, I can play almost 75% of the courses in the classic Westchester-Fairfield belt...I never do. When I have really been working at golf five or six days a week, the last thing I want to see is a golf course on the sixth or seventh day.

6. Which leads to my last statement, in that I know the thread title wasn't meant in any charged or contentious sense, but I do take a bit of umbrage at the "Dream" portion of it. (I'm not accusing anybody of being an asshole, I'm just giving my perspective) I live this reality...five months caddying, 7 months adjunct teaching, with some crossover in April, May Sept and Oct.  It would be more of a dream if I had some REAL money behind me or if I had the benefits of a tenure track as a teacher. As it is, I have neither and so the idea of HAVING to go pick that fruit off the tree everyday, without fail, grows more and more weighty each season. I have not been to a holiday barbeque or day baseball game in 20 years, I have no idea what people do on a summer weekend day, my yard is a mess, I haven't been to a beach since 1998. I both resent and love the rain, as a lost day and a day of rest...one injury, one torn meniscus, or Achilles's rupture, or wicked back problem (all of which is an occupational hazard) is a constant fright; I could be out of my house within 30 months if it was real bad. I haven't played pickup basketball or slo-pitch softball since the early 90s... I don't resent the term dream, because I know how much I love it and I know from where it comes. I would honestly STILL caddie 50 rounds a year if I hit the Powerball, I love it so much..but getting to serve on multiple boards with stock options-THAT is a dream...receiving $1000 every time I put my foot in a batter's box or throw a pitch...THAT is a dream. To be a department chair at a college...THAT is a dream. For these are dreams that allow many of the other dreams to be approached  Caddying for six months is hardly a dream or a sabbatical in my eyes. I wish the thread read: "Sampling Something Possible I've Always Wanted to Try."

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »
Royal Melbourne....Melbourne, Australia

I think you would get lonely, since I have never seen a caddie at Royal Melbourne.

I was going to tell Michael to do three months in New Zealand and three in Bandon.  A month at Durban Country Club would be a real eye-opener, too.

Whilst not utlised by the Members, I believe there were about 150 caddy loops at RM in the previous 12 months (mostly guests from the United States and Japan).

There really are only two Clubs in Melbourne that offer a caddy service - RMGC and Metropolitan.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

ward peyronnin

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Bogey

I have played courses where the young lads just don't caddie anymore so the women members are recruited.

St Enodoc is one of those places and it is a great summerring spot for the missus with connections to lLondon should she grow desperate
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »

I have never seen a White man caddie in Africa, except of course in some Club cross-over.

Have things changed?

Bob

Buck Wolter

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
I would read VK's post repeatedly -- what's the saying 'a hard way to make an easy living'? Still sounds cool to me --I did a season as a golf bum in Vail working the green's crew and playing golf on what we called a turf museum which allowed me to play golf that was worth a lot more than my salary --cutting greens by 5 am and playing golf from 3 -dark most weeknights.

How about Traverse City area? You could probably split time between Crystal Downs and Kingsley (maybe even do some manual labor at Forest Dunes for Tom D), no idea what CD's caddy policy is but it's fairly liberal at Kingsley I think.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
Probably R150 for caddying at Durban Country Club.

Are Americans really paying (being ripped off for) £80-£100 a round in Scotland? £50 a round in Kent including tip.
Cave Nil Vino

BCowan

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »
Somewhere in the summer where the days are long so YOU, the caddie could enjoy the golf and the area.
Caddying at Calusa Pines, or any other snowbird winter location, is going to allow little time to enjoy golf or anything else during daylight hours.
Believe it or not you're going to need to caddie when the course needs you to caddy, not just when you feel the desire to.

St. Andrews, Cabot,  or Bandon would seem the most logical places,though my guess is Canada's a nighmare getting
working papers (my daughter lives in Canada and has dealt with the hoops) and St. Andrews may be the same.

So Bandon it is-playing priviledges, long days, interesting people, fantastic scenerey.

I'd highly recommend Nova Scotia.  The people are really really nice and friendly and a lot of Irish and Scottish transplants.  Halifax is a great city, I know that Inverness is some 3.5 hours to the North and I have never been there.  So you can have small town and small city all in one.  The summers are magnificent, plus you have long daylight.  Jeff is right about work permits, they don't mess around.  On my way up to Toronto to catch a flight i was detained in Windsor for not having work papers to caddie in the Woman's Canadian Open in Halifax.  I was only going for a WEEK ::).  I have many entertaining stories and great fun from that trip, and can't wait to go back.  The locals made the caddies and players lobster, we had fresh salmon caught on the lake in the morning for bfest, and an open bar in the clubhouse.  The Canadians there love their Tim Hortons, that is all they talk about. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »
Probably R150 for caddying at Durban Country Club.

Are Americans really paying (being ripped off for) £80-£100 a round in Scotland? £50 a round in Kent including tip.

My friend Don was routinely earning £70 per bag at St. Andrews seven years ago...sometimes more, rarely less...i eyeball-adjusted that report for 2015. It may not exceed that figure and my adjustment could be too liberal. Of course St. Andrews sees a diverse and often a powerhouse visitor, so regardless of what is expected, nothing is "overpaying" for these types of visitor-players. Not every affluent person is like this, but there are guys who give their regular caddies $150-$200 per bag (100-150% more than standard) and it's like a moth flying out of Fort Knox to them. These fellows go to St. Andrews on a whim, they don't care if the whim part of it costs an extra $5000 to make it happen, they just do it. I caddy for a guy who is a "stock-broker to the stars" and has the world by the balls...one memorable time when he hosted the singer Graham Nash (from CSN) he gave me and another caddie $150 each to chase their carts around for 12 holes...then had Graham pay us each $200 more for the same effort, plus tickets and backstage passes for the upcoming show for the evening. I know this is far afield from the original topic, I'm just saying the economics can range between the wild and the pedestrian...

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Greg Gilson

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
I would second the recommendation to re-re-re-read V Kmetz' initial post. Caddying sounds like a dream job for some of us....but its not like it looks on the PGA Tour. I set up a caddy program here in Melbourne 10 years ago and kept it going for 5 summers - mostly caddying for cart-addicted Americans struggling around, RM, The Heath & others on the Sandbelt. I was the ghost that Tom & others never saw. We maxed out at 200 loops a year total with me , a couple of regulars and a bunch of members' sons. Its hard work at the best of times but doing it in an Aussie summer, carrying a bag with waaaaaaaay too much stuff in it, for a golfer that blames you for giving him the wrong yardage for the 5 iron that he hits about 100 (but says he hits 180) and who cannot get it out of the bunker you tried to steer him away from......and the dream starts to become something else.

That said, I did have some great times but there was not enough work or $...and it is bloody tough on your body. It really is.

My genuine suggestion is to try it for a week somewhere close to home. Not caddying for a friend or your wife (they will be forgiving and empty out their bag). Offer to do it for the rudest, worst golfer with the heaviest bag you can find. If you really enjoy that.....go for it!

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »
How about Shoreacres?  Easy walk, phenomenal track and there are worse things than spending a summer in Chicago.  Think of all the free rounds, drinks and meals you could get from the windy city GCA crowd!  8)  I would say Chicago Golf, but they don't even have air conditioning in the clubhouse, so I'm sure the caddie shack is a sauna...VK is correct; you have to consider the times you have to hang out all morning without getting out.  If you really want to loop I'd recommend Bandon.  We have several Bandon caddies posting here who I'm sure would happily give you the inside scoop.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John McCarthy

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
Seminole or Cypress.  I have had the same dream.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ron Csigo

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
Never seen a caddy at Royal Melbourne.

Royal St Georges also has caddies, live in Deal and caddy at RSG and RCP.

Completely agree with Chappers.  Deal is so charming.

Plus you're less than a 2hr hour train ride from London or Paris.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
I'm thinking as a general matter golfers treat caddies better in Ireland and Scotland than at the US resort courses.

Does Lahinch have a caddy program?  Or a rota of Muirfield, N Berwick, Gullane, Renaissance?

BCowan

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
I'm thinking as a general matter golfers treat caddies better in Ireland and Scotland than at the US resort courses.

Does Lahinch have a caddy program?  Or a rota of Muirfield, N Berwick, Gullane, Renaissance?

Matt,

Caddies in the US are treated very well.  Depends where you are too.  I've seen caddies flown on private jets with members to go play TPC Sawgrass and other courses.  Cadding is a decent job for the most part, many play more top golf courses than the average guy at a CC.  You got caddies making $100+ a bag cash.  I used to make $120 a double, some caddies are doing well. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »

I have never seen a White man caddie in Africa, except of course in some Club cross-over.

Have things changed?

Bob

I doubt it.  That's why I thought it would be interesting, to see if they would even let him do it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »

How about Traverse City area? You could probably split time between Crystal Downs and Kingsley (maybe even do some manual labor at Forest Dunes for Tom D), no idea what CD's caddy policy is but it's fairly liberal at Kingsley I think.

The handful of caddies at Crystal Downs are all college or high school golfers, friends of the professional's kids, etc.  It's not a real gig for someone to consider.  But Mr. Hendren is always welcome to come and work with us for a spell.  ;)

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
The Hamptons would fit your criteria.  Just be prepared to get a sore ass (sitting) and don't expect to be welcomed with open arms
by the guys in the yard. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
Can't add much to this thread as there is some great info.

My fantasy would be to go to Dornoch and caddy at RDGC.
From my most recent visit there, they need caddies. They have some sort of caddy academy or junior golf thing and we had some teenagers on our bags for a few rounds, but they were bag carriers more than caddys...;-)

Catch some loops at Castle Stuart and the off loop at Stibo. Live in Dormoch, rent David Tepper's house....;-)...pure bliss and better weather than most parts of Scotland.

However, since there are so many courses in and around St. Andrews, plus a vibrant university town, that may be tough to beat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:45:31 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »
The Hamptons would fit your criteria.  Just be prepared to get a sore ass (sitting) and don't expect to be welcomed with open arms
by the guys in the yard. 

Other than unaffordable living and the two things you just mentioned...... ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Lester George

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:25 PM »
If you want the creature comforts you may look at Kinloch.  Very active (95% walking) good money, close to beach (2 hours) moderate rate to live, close to home, etc.  Let me know.

Lester

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
I'm surprised you don't already know the answer to your question.

Obviously it has to be a place that uses caddies.

Chambers Bay is your ticket man! Best stretch of 6 months of weather available anywhere meeting your criteria. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 03:14:39 AM »
Matt - not sure why golfers would treat caddies better in Scotland or Ireland, 99% of the golfers will be Americans so unless they've taken a holiday chill pill there should be no difference.

Now the way to make money is to forecaddie, most golfers don't need s caddie, they are just being lazy, especially with trollies and electrics trollies everywhere. What guys want is someone to show them the lines, read putts, hold flag, etc and tell them a few stories about the links/club. Charge players £15 each and that's a nice little non-backbreaking earner. I'd pay that in Scotland but certainly don't pay £50-60 for someone to carry my bag.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back