News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Ouimet, Vardon and Ray Scorecards
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
Not sure how much there is to learn from these, but their significance in golf history is unquestionable (from the Oct. 1913 edition of Golf Magazine).

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Chris Roselle

Re: Ouimet, Vardon and Ray Scorecards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
Sven, I've always found the most remarkable thing about this is that Bernard Darwin was Quimet's marker for the playoff.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »
Digging the pipe by Vardon. We need more pipe smoking on the course.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
Any idea who signed Ray's card?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »

Looks like Percy R. Pyne II, a member at Garden City and a USGA Exec. Committee member in '13,'14 & 15.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:23:36 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

Looks like Percy R. Pyne II, a member at Garden City and a USGA Exec. Committee member in '13,'14 & 15.

Nice work! I knew it wasn't Percy Alliss, Percy Boomer, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Percy Kilbride or Percy Harvin -- but couldn't solve the puzzle.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »
I know the top photo is on display at TCC in Brookline.  Are the cards there too?
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Chris Roselle

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:16 PM »
I know the top photo is on display at TCC in Brookline.  Are the cards there too?

Mark, I thought Quimet's card was housed at the USGA museum in Far Hills.  I might be wrong but I thought I saw it on display there last year during a Rules of Golf workshop I attended.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »

Mark, I thought Quimet's card was housed at the USGA museum in Far Hills.  I might be wrong but I thought I saw it on display there last year during a Rules of Golf workshop I attended.

You were right.

http://www.usgamuseum.com/researchers/research_center/collections.aspx

Wonder where Ray's and Vardon's cards ended up... or if they even kept them?

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »

yes chris you did, still have the pic on my phone.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »

Many thanks, Jim.  I was wondering if the Percy involved was my grandfather who was club champion at Winchester in 1913 and wrote as badly as I type.  As it turns out, I worked for Percy Pine's son/hephew Eben the summer of 1967 at Citibank.  Sorry for the OT post, Ran.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
It appears that the USGA has all the cards:

Ouimet's most significant memorabilia resides at the USGA Museum, in Far Hills, N.J., in an exhibit entitled "America's First Golf Hero." It includes his putter and four of his irons from his1 913 victory – mid-iron, mashie, mashie-niblick and jigger; the three balls used by Ouimet, Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the playoff; their scorecards and Ouimet's championship medal. It also houses his championship medals from the 1914 and '31 U.S. Amateurs.

His red R&A jacket hangs there, as well. Funny story about that coat."My sister had one of those portraits over her mantel piece," Barbara tells, referencing the one that hangs in her house. "One day there was a girl playing there, and she said to Les (Barbara's niece, Leslie), 'Who is that?' Les said, 'That's my grampy.' The little girl says, 'What is he, awaiter?'

"Dad would have gotten a big kick out of that."

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
It appears that the USGA has all the cards:

Ouimet's most significant memorabilia resides at the USGA Museum, in Far Hills, N.J., in an exhibit entitled "America's First Golf Hero." It includes his putter and four of his irons from his1 913 victory – mid-iron, mashie, mashie-niblick and jigger; the three balls used by Ouimet, Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in the playoff; their scorecards and Ouimet's championship medal. It also houses his championship medals from the 1914 and '31 U.S. Amateurs.

His red R&A jacket hangs there, as well. Funny story about that coat."My sister had one of those portraits over her mantel piece," Barbara tells, referencing the one that hangs in her house. "One day there was a girl playing there, and she said to Les (Barbara's niece, Leslie), 'Who is that?' Les said, 'That's my grampy.' The little girl says, 'What is he, awaiter?'

"Dad would have gotten a big kick out of that."

Thanks, that makes sense I didn't see them there!   :)
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back