News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

The quality of the courses on the current personal top-100 threads by Sean and Rihc and the courses that didn't make their lists got me wondering about any GB&I courses, links courses mainly, but not only, that have not been played by a GCA poster or reported on in some way or another within this Discussion Board.

One links that comes to mind might be, just might be, the links at Wigtownshire County GC, in the very far South West of Scotland - see - www.wigtownshirecountygolfclub.com

Any others? There must surely be quite a number. Anywhere you particularly fancy playing that you've heard a bit about but not from within GCA circles?

Atb
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:50:25 PM by Thomas Dai »

jeffwarne

Re: GB&I courses not played or reported on within the GCA Discussion Board
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:16:34 PM »
Thomas,
some of those Welsh/ English inland highlands courses you mentioned to me might fit the bill.(Welshpool etc.)

In my experience
Connemara Isles (delightful seaside 9 holer outside Galway_with a fantastic thatched roof tiny clubhouse)
Otway (9) super quirk near Portsalon
Parknasilla 9 hole seaside parkland near Waterville
Gweedore (9)links though Donal O'Cellaigh once worked and played there-in fact I played with his father
Clyne-pretty good common land course very near Pennard-fantastic views and great micro undulations
Northwest GC excellent compact links in Buncrana
Buncrana GC (9) links
Bushmills (9) in NI links
Kilkenny Golf Club (9) played with  my Irish host there in 1991-same day as Carlow though that gets some attention here
Mt Juliet-decent Nicklaus near Carlow
mild GCA mentions
Mulranny- it's now been discovered
Kirkistown Castle-unloved Braid in NI, though I've seen it mentioned here
Carradale(9)-though TD did give it a "2" in his book

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:00:37 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
I know Fortrose & Rosemarkie has been played by several GCA-ers (including yours truly), but it rarely gets mentioned when there is a discussion here about golf in the Highlands. It is not one of "the usual suspects" (i.e. Tain, Brora, Goslpie) that gets mentioned as a course to play on a trip to Dornoch/Nairn/Castle Stuart.

I cannot recall ever seeing a photo tour of the course posted here. It is certainly one of the most unique settings & routings for a course I have ever seen.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:27:09 AM »
I know Fortrose & Rosemarkie has been played by several GCA-ers (including yours truly), but it rarely gets mentioned when there is a discussion here about golf in the Highlands. It is not one of "the usual suspects" (i.e. Tain, Brora, Goslpie) that gets mentioned as a course to play on a trip to Dornoch/Nairn/Castle Stuart.

I cannot recall ever seeing a photo tour of the course posted here. It is certainly one of the most unique settings & routings for a course I have ever seen.

Spot on David,

it is I suppose understandable but a shame that many who visit the Highlands just do the usual group of Nairn, CS, Dornoch and maybe Brora when there is so much more out there. Fortrose is an excellent links course with such a spectacular setting that it is amazing it has not had a photo tour here.  Others apart from those mentioned such as Spey Bay, Moray, Wick. Then there are the inland courses such as Forres, Elgin, Grantown-on-Spey, Strathpeffer, or many of the nine holers such as mine, Abernethy, etc...

I suspect that we will have to do something about that ourselves though whether it will alter peoples playing habits? What I do feel is a shame are those coming to Scotland and playing mainly the American layouts such as KB or Trump Aberdeen. Bit like going to China and eating native in MacDonalds :'(

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
David,
i believe we met for the first time over dinner in Fortrose after my round there ;D
One could make quite a nonfrequent GCA traveled trip landing in Inverness and starting there heading east along the Moray coast, or north as you say to Wick, Durness etc.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »
There a a number of course just in County Wicklow that we have not discussed, except for an offhand comment. 
Baltinglass GC
http://www.baltinglassgolf.com/index.html

Collatin GC
http://www.coollattingolfclub.com

Blainroe GC
http://www.blainroe.com/mysitecaddy/site3/golfmembership.htm

Wicklow GC
http://m.wicklowgolfclub.ie/m/index.html#

Bray Golf Club
http://www.braygolfclub.com

None are world beaters, but all are enjoyable and scenic.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
There a a number of course just in County Wicklow that we have not discussed, except for an offhand comment. 
Baltinglass GC

Collatin GC

Blainroe GC

Wicklow GC

Bray Golf Club

Interesting choices, Tommy. I have a fondness for Blainroe, a solid Hawtree design on a spectacular cliff side setting. The land itself isn't hugely interesting but the routing makes the most of it and there are a number of very good holes.

Coollattin has a beautiful inland estate setting in the garden of Ireland. Some lovely holes mixed with some that don't quite work. Also a short par 3 completely enclosed by the old walled garden.

Wicklow has the best setting of the lot with some spectacular holes hanging on the edge of a cliff. Site is a little small and squeezed though.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
"I believe we met for the first time over dinner in Fortrose after my round there"

Jeff W. -

Indeed we did meet at the Anderson Pub in Fortrose. That is a course that looks like it should be a pushover, but it never plays like one.

DT

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »
Wigtownshire County - to rise to the challenge, I played this many years ago and while I wouldn't rave about it from what I remember it's certainly worth a hit if you're in the area. It's a fairly flat links in basic condition, and from that I mean I doubt it's got much if any irrigation.

One to play in conjunction with Stranraer (Braids last course), Powfoot and Southerness.

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »
I have played and have pictures from Newquay and Ashburnham which I don't think have ever been featured here.
Also the Channel course at B&B.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:17:12 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
Baltinglass GC

Collatin GC

Blainroe GC

Wicklow GC

Bray Golf Club

Interesting choices, Tommy. I have a fondness for Blainroe, a solid Hawtree design on a spectacular cliff side setting. The land itself isn't hugely interesting but the routing makes the most of it and there are a number of very good holes.

Coollattin has a beautiful inland estate setting in the garden of Ireland. Some lovely holes mixed with some that don't quite work. Also a short par 3 completely enclosed by the old walled garden.

Wicklow has the best setting of the lot with some spectacular holes hanging on the edge of a cliff. Site is a little small and squeezed though.

There are so many interesting courses in BB&I that fly under the radar for residents that for Americans are totally unknown but worth the time. After you have played the well known and best of the lot it is fun to go off on your own and just tour until you come across a course that looks Interesting.  That's how I found Coolotin. I was driving across Wicklow from Kildare and stumbled on it.  I paid my green fee and had a ball.  
Wicklow is in a stunning setting and well worth the time.  I enjoy the discovery. I've played about 180 courses in GB&I and have enjoyed almost all of them.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
Glencruitten occasionally gets mentioned here -- but I've never seen a full course report. Braid with lots of half-par holes and quirk, by reputation, on the west coast of the Highlands.

http://www.obangolf.com/

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
I have a lot of old slides of English and Welsh golf courses taken in the 70s, 80s and 90s - some even from the 60s. They're not complete tours and they're pretty basic quality, but it there an appetite for them I could scan them (not too frequently) and share them on here. Let me know.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
I have played and have pictures from Newquay and Ashburnham which I don't think have ever been featured here.
Also the Chanel course at B&B.

Le parcours 'Coco'?  :D
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
I have a lot of old slides of English and Welsh golf courses taken in the 70s, 80s and 90s - some even from the 60s. They're not complete tours and they're pretty basic quality, but it there an appetite for them I could scan them (not too frequently) and share them on here. Let me know.

That would be great Mark.
Many of the unsung gems that ARE highlighted on GCA, or at least visited, are due in no small part to Mark's reviews and recomendations

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »

Yes please Mark, that would be great. Would not only be interesting but would also be a nice historic resource.

Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
Also the Chanel course at B&B.

I know both the wonderful Chanel course at B&B and Ashburnham quite well but what did you make of Newquay Garland?

A couple of other South Wales courses to mention would be Neath and Carmarthen, both upland in nature. There's also apparently an quirky yee olde period hilltop course, may be higher than Kington, just north of the Heads of the Valley's road near Merthyr plus some Colt courses like Radyr at Cardiff. I've also heard nice things about Rogerstone just off the M4 at Newport.

There's also Clyne near Pennard on the Gower. There is a photo-tour of Clyne from years ago but the photos seem to have disappeared from view.

Atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
I enjoyed Newquay. I hear Colt creates deep bunkers. There certainly are some deep ones at Newquay, and the ball feeds into them quite readily.

You have to do due diligence to avoid a parking fine at Newquay says the voice of experience.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Lovett

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
There is not too much mention of Parkstone,  Fendown or Isle of Purbeck. Broadstone gets some mention due to the current work by Frank Pont. Ferndown is currently under the stewardship of Murray Long ex of Sunningdale and Parkstone one of his old assistants. From the pictures I see of both courses I'm surprised there is not much talk on here. All the boxes are bein ticked; tree removal, heather regeneration and old fashioned bunkering!
Isle of Purbeck has huge potential.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
There is not too much mention of Parkstone,  Fendown or Isle of Purbeck. Broadstone gets some mention due to the current work by Frank Pont. Ferndown is currently under the stewardship of Murray Long ex of Sunningdale and Parkstone one of his old assistants. From the pictures I see of both courses I'm surprised there is not much talk on here. All the boxes are bein ticked; tree removal, heather regeneration and old fashioned bunkering!
Isle of Purbeck has huge potential.

Stevie Richardson and his crew are doing some great work at Parkstone. I haven't been to Ferndown since Muzz took over and must remedy that soon.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
A group of us played Clyne before the Welsh BUDA and there was at least one phot profile afterwards.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:10:21 PM »
Glencruitten occasionally gets mentioned here -- but I've never seen a full course report. Braid with lots of half-par holes and quirk, by reputation, on the west coast of the Highlands.

http://www.obangolf.com/

I just did the hole by hole tour of Glencruitten and recommend it to anyone.  In half the pictures it is difficult to get your bearings on where the heck the hole is going, and from the descriptions I think some of the golf feels the same.  For sure it's a course you'd find only in Scotland!

Sam Krume

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
Ben,
I think IOP is the one course I have played that if it had some investment in and a few tweaks here and there could become one of the best courses in England, I really do. Every one always refers to the views and quite rightly but i think the course is underrated. Some great holes on the property.

Sean_A

The one course I listed as top 100 which doesn't get any attention on this board is Castletown

Beaconsfield gets little truck on this site and I admit I have not been there simply because of the relatively high green fee.   

Brampton has been mentioned a few times in connection with the Silloth Buda, but it intrigues me.

Bovey Castle I have played and it has been mentioned a few times here, but I have been fearful of going back because I hear somebody made changes to this once very charming design. 

Came Down is one I would like to see.

Great Yarmouth & Caister has always held a certain appeal...though I haven't heard much positive about the course.

Somebody mentioned Muskerry to me with twinkling eyes and it caught my interest.

Welshpool on the reco of Mark has long been on my hit list  :P

Same for Llanymynech

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Whitaker

Beaconsfield gets little truck on this site and I admit I have not been there simply because of the relatively high green fee.   

Sean - Conrad is now a member at Beaconsfield and would have you out I'm sure. I played there with him after last year's Buda and think a lot of the course and club. It is most convienient from London as the club has its own train stop (Seer Green) only 40 minutes from Marylebone.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back