News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Holes That Are Just Too Hard
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:28 AM »
My entry: the 18th at Butler National.

While it is hardly plausible for 99.99% of golfers to enjoy this course from the tips (7500+ yards), the "Tournament tees" are just under 7000 and the 18th plays as Par 4 @ 464 yards (instead of 484 from tips).

In 10 rounds there, I have made one par.
as an "S-shaped" hole, it has a demanding tee shot with a water on the right at around 260 - 280, woods on the left and the small landing area is framed by two small groves of trees. You MUST hit the fairway here.

Second shot plays into a green with sever slopes from back to front and left to right with yet another pond to the left. It is a fitting closing hole to an arduous test of skill, patience and tolerance.

archie_struthers

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »

The problem on 14 is that if is blowing at all , you can't figure the distance . From the back tee its way tougher. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
Ian:  18 at Butler used to have another tree in the middle of the fairway about 110 short of the green.  Miss your spot on the drive, automatic lay up even if in the fairway.  The best angle was from the 10th fairway. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

J_ Crisham

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
My entry: the 18th at Butler National.

While it is hardly plausible for 99.99% of golfers to enjoy this course from the tips (7500+ yards), the "Tournament tees" are just under 7000 and the 18th plays as Par 4 @ 464 yards (instead of 484 from tips).

In 10 rounds there, I have made one par.
as an "S-shaped" hole, it has a demanding tee shot with a water on the right at around 260 - 280, woods on the left and the small landing area is framed by two small groves of trees. You MUST hit the fairway here.

Second shot plays into a green with sever slopes from back to front and left to right with yet another pond to the left. It is a fitting closing hole to an arduous test of skill, patience and tolerance.
+1  Throw in #5,8,9,10 and you have a very demanding day. Played last Summer at Butler with one of the better European tour players and he was shaking his head after playing the 18th. For my money #10 is the hardest hole in Chicago.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
#1 green at Oakmont is pretty difficult to hold if you don't have backspin on the ball.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »

#1 green at Oakmont is pretty difficult to hold if you don't have backspin on the ball.

That's why you play to the front of the green ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
From my TV memory of #1 Oakmont, it is an immenitly fair green because it's entire front is open.  You (try to) land the ball 15 yards short and let it roll.  Admittedly, it will take some bounces and pops, but the hole is playable, meaning, for me, that the golfer can readily complete the hole with a score obtained with in the Rules of Golf.

My previous Ballyhack threads and comments are made within the context that the severity of the hole may make completing the hole, with in the Rules of Golf, potentially problematic for some if not many.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Matt Meyer

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
The following holes from the "Tips" present ample challenges where double bogey or higher is always in play, for even the scratch player:

#'s 6 & 18 at The Golf Club in New Albany, OH.
#'s 13 & 18 at Kiawah Ocean Course
# 7 The River Course at Kiawah Island
# 2 Scioto CC
# 14 Moraine CC
#18 Canterbury
# 4 Westbrook CC

KMcKeown

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »
A few nominations:

#8 @ Prairie Dunes
#15 @ PV played harder than 14 IMO
#10 & 18 @Butler National
#16 @ CPC
#1 @ Oak Tree National(harder than #1 @Oakmont IMO)
#2 @ Dismal River from the tips
#17 @ Karsten Creek

jim_lewis

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »
Carl: Yes, you can land the ball short on Oakmont #1 and watch it roll, and roll, and roll, and roll. Who knows where it will stop.

I think #5 at Merion is tougher that #14 at PV for one reason. On a good day, with a good tee shot, I have been know to par #14. I don't think I am capable of paring #5 at Merion unless the pin is far left. But then, I don't remember making more than a double on #5. Can't say the same about #14.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Matt Glore

« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »

#2 @ Dismal River from the tips

This. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back