News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Blind Shots
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
The blind approach shot  to #9 at Berkshire Hills CC in Dalton Mass. demands all of your attention.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:57:39 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »
I like blind shots. I can't hit the broad side of barn anyway, so I often do better on blind shots than visible shots. ;D

The high handicapper is not flagstick hunting. He is just hoping to get it somewhere near the green, so having a blind approach is not a big deal considering his game.

A problem with blind shots is pace of play. To assure it is safe to hit, you often have to walk forward to watch until the green clears, then walk back before hitting. On the drive, if there is no aid, such as a raised mirror, then you have to wait until the players ahead reappear, perhaps by the green. At Pennard, it seemed like 75% of the holes had vision blocked by dunes and valleys so that when I played there we always had to wait until the group in front of us reappeared by the green.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
Par 3-  The Dell at Lahinch is epic. Par 4 - Numerous tee shots at RCD with my favourites being # 9 and # 12. Par 5- The approach to # 16 at Old Mac. The tee shot at TOC # 17 - Road Hole is as blind as they come.

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
I like a design approach that forces a choice between a blind and a visible approach.

It can be created on holes where there is a valley in front of the green.  The player chooses between leaving a longer visible approach and a short blind one. 

It also works well as a reward for a second shot on a par five.  I have seen this on a hole with a hill in front of the green.  If a player hits a full bore 3 wood, he has a visible pitch from the top of or over the hill but if not he is hitting a blind approach over the hill.

I have also seen this on par 4's where well placed tee shots risking some danger are  rewarded with a visible approach from a level lie.  Misplayed tee shots leave blind approaches from side hill or uphill lies. 

I don't think one can create rules about blind shots.  Tobacco Road has many tee shots that are blind but the terrain and a yardage book provide enough clues that the mystery and the need for precision are largely absent.  Prestwick has a number of blind shots but they are each thrilling in their own way.  Blindness is fine if a hole is good.  It further detracts from a poor hole.

jim_lewis

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
Tobacco Road must hold the world record. I can't remember a blind shot hole that I like. I can tolerate them if the terrain requires them. I hate man-made blind shots. So, that probably reveals my opinion of TR.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »
I'm with you Jason.  Positional and lack of execution blind holes are usually my favourites.  Otherwise, for a good blinder I prefer it to be epic ala Dell.  Often times, blind shots entail driving over a brow...this is a bit dull even if necessary.  This btw is my biggest hit against RCD.  I dislike the blindness because the fairways aren't wide and the punishment for missing a fairway is brutal...not good elements for blindness.   

One of my favourite blinders is #9 at Liphook.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Will Lozier

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
13 at Rye - approach...7 & 11 at Sunningdale Old - tee shots...3 at Old Mac - tee shots...15 at Deal - approach...all blind shots at Royal County Down, especially the approach at 13 and the tee ball at 9.

BHoover

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
Will, the semi-blind second shot on #8 at Springfield is a good one.

Also really enjoy the second shot to #14 at Oakland Hills South. Love that green!

My favorite is the second shot to #9 at Brookside. It's a mid- to short-iron to a raised green that slopes away from you in all directions. Missing right or long is absolutely dead. Missing short or left isn't a picnic either. But you simply aim for the gable on the pro shop and hope you have the right yardage and make solid contact. Then you run up to see where your ball ended up, chances are it rolls off the false front and you're scrambling for par.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:40:50 PM by Brian Hoover »

Will Lozier

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Will, the semi-blind second shot on #8 at Springfield is a good one.

Brian,

I thought about that one but don't consider it totally blind...but one of the greatest skyline greens I've ever seen.

Cheers

James Boon

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
I quite like blind shots being thrown into the mix. How many is too many? All I can think is I will know it when I see it and I havent seen it yet. I certainly like blind approach shots as the thrill of wondering about hitting the green or even being close is greater than the thrill of have I hit the fairway, but both are fine to be honest.

A few favourites off the top of may head:

Painswick, 5th, tee shot to a 110 odd yard hole, which is blind because you play up, over and into an old iron age fort.

Royal Dornoch, 17th, approach to the green (assuming from the lower fairway of course!) as David T has already mentioned.

Liphook, 9th, approach shot over blind heather covered mounds, as Sean A has already mentioned.

Burnham & Berrow, 3rd, approach shot to a punchbowl green. Wind behind it can be a flick with a wedge, into the wind it cam be a long iron which is certainly a thrill to see on the green!

Royal Cinque Ports, 3rd, long approach to the green with all sorts of humps and hollows before the green and then some cool banks and tiers at the green itself. And no easier if you choose to lay up!

Royal County Down, 9th, because of the view as you reach the top of the dunes.

County Louth, 3rd, long approach to the reachable par 5. Need to get the approach just right or it runs off left leaving a very tricky chip.

And a slightly different type of blind hole...
Burnham & Berrow, 1st, approach, but only if the drive is to the right of the fairway. A slightly different thrill when you think you've hit a good one, running over to the left side of the fairway were there is a clear view of the green. Or the approach to the 6th at St Enodoc which is similar but more difficult!

Probably forgetting some obvious favourites, but you get the idea I like them.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rees Milikin

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
The short par 4 15th hole at Deltona Club

The 11th hole at Lookout Mountain (Alps)

The Punchbowl 16th hole at Augusta CC

David Davis

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 05:59:56 AM »
As you guys have the ROW covered I'll keep my answer here locally. However, I have to say I love blind shots once you've seen them once or if you're playing with a good caddy that describes the shot pretty well. Since most of the blind shots I've seen are on links courses they become far more fun and interesting when the wind is up and you have to visualize what will happen to a tee in order to pull them off.

At Noordwijkse hole #15 is one of my favorites. It's a blind dogleg right over a dune with a risk reward carry over a small valley. Not making the carry will result in a tough up hill blind approach likely from a bad lie. It's also possible to play straight up the fairway and around the dune but it will leave a very long approach. The wind is often different and it feels like you play a different hole most of the time.

At Royal Hague hole #7 is another great blind drive hole over a dune. From the tee visually you have the idea that it's a huge carry but in most cases you don't want more than a 3 wood or even hybrid. The approach is then to a sunken green severely sloped back to front that is partially hidden between high dunes. Another great hole.

Both Royal Hague and Noordwijkse also have holes like the one Jason describes above. #2 at Royal Hague is a perfect example of such a hole. there is a huge valley in front of the green. The uphill drive is semi blind and a long straight shot leaves a short blind approach from the bottom of the valley. Tough shot to get close with anywhere from a 52 - 60 degree wedge. Hitting shorter off the tee leaves an open and almost level shot into the green but with anything from a 5 - 8 iron in. Not an easy shot either but a good view.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jason Kang

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
Late afternoon 17th tee at Yale, which oppositely parallels the already mentioned12th approach, is a beautiful sunset hole.
13th approach at Rye, a beast

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
You can count me in as one who likes a bit of blindness. Silloth, my favourite course by some margin, has quite a few totally blind and a few more semi-blind approaches. The blind totally blind shots include the approach to the 1st, tee shot on the 3rd, tee shot on the 4th, approach on the 7th, approach on the 10th (depending on tee shot), approach on 11th (depending on tee shot), approach on 13th (depending on tee shot), approach on 14th, approach on 15th, and the approach on 17th. Quite amazing when you list them all.

However as the man said, they are only blind once to the player with a good memory. Furthermore, after some trial and error you soon learn what shots produce the best result. For instance on the first, it usually plays to land the approach on the top of the bank and let it run down to the hole (similar to 7th and 17th) so judging the pace, loft and of course line is vital. Rather than reduce the skill required I find that they generally raise the bar and indeed help me visualise the shot more. And of course there is the anticipation of seeing how your ball finished. If only modern designers had the balls, or indeed the client with the balls, to build them today.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
I am a fan of blindness, particularly when memory and judgement are required.
It's nice when a well judged and executed shot can rewarded while still retaing the element of mystery, and a poorer one less rewarded or punished, without an excruciating, unpredictable, time consuming ball search.

Goat Hill has 8 (or 9)blind shots out of the 14(15 for a short hitter) full swings in 9 holes.
a nice mix of predictability, findability and mystery.

The Machrie would be the poster child for blindness, but the last time I was there the fairways were SOOO narrow and the rough so long that knowing the exact line was critical to the point of exasperation as a bounce in the fairway would produce a 60-60 yard different outcome of where to begin the ball search. Rumor has it the narrowing has been addressed.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ken Moum

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »
Gotta be 13 @ Cullen for me.

Ive only played it twice but the second time was in a Mixed Comp. and neither of the guys in our group could get driver over the rocks that are ~135 yards out.

It's in the middle of one of the most beautiful pieces of seaside land I've ever seen.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
Gotta be 13 @ Cullen for me.

Ive only played it twice but the second time was in a Mixed Comp. and neither of the guys in our group could get driver over the rocks that are ~135 yards out.

It's in the middle of one of the most beautiful pieces of seaside land I've ever seen.

K

Thanks for the cool pic Ken.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »
NGLA has dozens of them with #'s 6 and 13 about the only holes that don't present blind shots.

# 6 at Old Marsh is pretty neat, a replica of # 17 at Prestwick

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
"Royal Dornoch, 17th, approach to the green (assuming from the lower fairway of course!) as David T has already mentioned."

James B. -

Come to think of it, the tee shot at #17 is blind as well!

DT

Sam Krume

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 03:20:49 AM »
Being in GB we have an abundance to pick from but my two favourites are the 9th at County Down, you know what's coming but every time you stand on the tee and scale that dune, is just pure joy and the other is the 3rd at Deal. Hitting your second into that sunken green, then walking up the fairway, full of hope, praying to see your ball on the green with a makeable putt.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 11:44:56 PM »
I like blind shots. I can't hit the broad side of barn anyway, so I often do better on blind shots than visible shots. ;D

This brings to mind one of the reasons I think a certain type of golfer such as myself likes blind shots.  The added thought and planning required for the shot helps me to focus, so I tend to produce better results on such shots.  The same is true for really any more 'difficult' shot.  Nothing sabotages my game more than putting me in the middle of the fairway with a level shot to an undefended green.  I don't have anything to focus on, so I'm more likely to chunk it halfway to the hole than to stick it close.  The opposite is true if I'm 30 yards off the fairway with a blind shot behind a mound to a pin cut right behind a bunker.  Maybe I should try Ritalin or beta blockers or whatever it is the pros use to help them "focus"  ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »

This brings to mind one of the reasons I think a certain type of golfer such as myself likes blind shots.  The added thought and planning required for the shot helps me to focus, so I tend to produce better results on such shots.  The same is true for really any more 'difficult' shot.  Nothing sabotages my game more than putting me in the middle of the fairway with a level shot to an undefended green.  I don't have anything to focus on, so I'm more likely to chunk it halfway to the hole than to stick it close.  The opposite is true if I'm 30 yards off the fairway with a blind shot behind a mound to a pin cut right behind a bunker.  Maybe I should try Ritalin or beta blockers or whatever it is the pros use to help them "focus"  ;D

Doug,
so true . I have much more success hitting at an aiming pole on a blind shot than I do a wide open visible fairway.
Probably why I have my minority view of liking barber poles ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:12:15 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ron Csigo

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »
The approach shot into the bathtub green at Cruden Bay.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

JimB

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
I really enjoyed the the tee shot on the 6th at Cork Golf Club. Hit driver at the white house then anticipate finding your ball somewhere around (or perhaps on) the fun green with alacrity.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
In the new Links Magazine, Jeff Silverman has an article entitled Site Unseen which praises blind shots. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back