News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The Yank's 2015 Top 100 GB&I
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:17 AM »
Following in Bogey's footsteps, I thought a GB&I top 100 may be interesting.  Of course, I only considered those courses which I have played and remember at least decently so perhaps as many as 50 good to decent candidates are off the books.  Let me know what you think, especially about those courses which you feel strongly about one way or another. 

I will start from the bottom and work up to #1 in five groups.  It is my contention that the courses within each group can basically be interchanged so the actual number next to a course isn't meaningful as such.  Anyway #s 100 thru 65. 

65.   Brora
66.   Silloth on Solway
67.   Machrihanish
68.   Huntercombe
69.   Wallasey
70.   Liphook
71.   Broadstone
72.   Castletown
73.   Aberdovey
74.   Rosapenna OTM
75.   Donegal
76.   Gullane #1
77.   Sherwood Forest
78.   Prestbury
79.   Nairn
80.   Dunbar
81.   Stoneham
82.   Knole Park
83.   Co Louth
84.   TEC
85.   Whittington Heath
86.   The Grove
87.   Narin & Portnoo
88.   Cavendish
89.   Tralee
90.   Cumberwell Park Orange
91.   Tenby
92.   Portrush Valley
93.   Carnoustie Burnside
94.   Harlech
95.   Blackwell
96.   Reddish Vale
97.   Trevose
98.   Murcar
99.   Portmarnock Links
100.   Harborne

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:52:39 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The Yank's Top 100 GB&I
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »
First thing I'll say is that bottom group of 40 is a very tasty and varied lot. I'd be happy if I were restricted to just those.

Second I'd say is that I'm glad to see Portrush Valley given its rightful place and not played up too much. Undervalued by most golfers but it has been overvalued on this website a few times.

Only one I'd feel really strongly about being too low is Machrihanish

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:31:22 AM »
And Baltray (too low)

Ed Tilley

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:31:41 AM »
Looking forward to this list Sean, especially if you have played 65 better courses than both Silloth and Machrihanish.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
Agree look forward to the list and thoughts behind some choices.

Sean - can you list some candidates in each section that you haven't played?  I think it will be more relevant as you march to #1. Also will be interested to see how long/deep your first tier is...doubting that 33 courses are interchangeable.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »

Minor order switches apart the first 4 qualify for promotion as each is very strong in it’s own way.
83.   Co Louth
66.   Silloth on Solway
89.   Tralee
76.   Gullane #1

65.   Brora
69.   Wallasey
73.   Aberdovey
87.   Narin & Portnoo
92.   Portrush Valley
99.   Portmarnock Links
84.   TEC
91.   Tenby
93.   Carnoustie Burnside
74.   Rosapenna OTM
98.   Murcar  Definitely drop if Portsalon missed the cut.

Hard to argue over the order of the 4 inland I’ve played, but Huntercombe deserves promoting to a higher category

68.   Huntercombe

70.   Liphook
81    Stoneham
82.   Knole Park
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:40 AM »
Looking forward to this list Sean, especially if you have played 65 better courses than both Silloth and Machrihanish.
Exactly what I thought!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
65 courses better than Silloth, Huntercombe, and Baltray?  I'm eager to see the rest of this list.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
What's awesome about this list is we are likely to see many "outside of the box" choices.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment. 

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

Ed

He played Silloth from the forward tees if I remember rightly  ;D. Anyway, Burnside is a terrific track but in the same bracket and interchangeable as Machrihanish and Silloth !?!

Let the fun continue.

Niall

Ryan Coles

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
Sean

Initial thoughts on the list so far are that you're not a big fan of Surrey.

Or you'll soon be revealed as one of the biggest fans of Surrey.

And you've ranked Brora too low.......

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »
Agree look forward to the list and thoughts behind some choices.

Sean - can you list some candidates in each section that you haven't played?  I think it will be more relevant as you march to #1. Also will be interested to see how long/deep your first tier is...doubting that 33 courses are interchangeable.

Matt

Its difficult to know where courses I haven't played fit into the scheme  :D  Taking a stab at it I would say perhaps Machrie, Mach Dunes & Moortown are bottom third of 100?

Spangles

You could well be right about promoting Co Louth and Silloth.  I admit to walking away somewhat disappointed re Co Louth because of some flat holes that didn't really offer much,but that was a long time ago.  Gullane #1 though just isn't very interesting.  I have long contended that the most interesting of the three is #3,  but it isn't good enough for top 100.  I would also love to place Huntercombe higher, but the strangling trees don't imo justify a higher spot...its a great pity because its a terrific design. 

Ally

Machrihanish...maybe I will get back one day, but the back nine becomes progressively less interesting...to the point where the finish is a bit dull. 

Niall

Yes, I would place Burnside right there with the others you mention.  It doesn't have the dramatic terrain, but the land is still good and the greens are very interesting. 

Ryan

I love Brora and maybe I did keep it back a bit to counter my personal feelings.  I will get another go in the spring. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »
Sean,

I look forwards to seeing this develop.

Just to be clear, this is your opinion of the quality of courses you've played, not your favourites?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David Davis

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
Interesting list Sean. Out of the ones I've played on your list. (only about half) I'd have Gullane #1 down as the most memorable and my favorite. Though it's been a long time indeed. I have it higher up in my personal favorites than Brora for example. I think I even have Nairn ahead but I'm admittedly struggling to remember much of Brora which was overshadowed by most of the courses I played on that tour IMO.

Definitely interested to know the 65 you have ahead of that bunch and if I've even heard of most of them. ;-)
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
Yes Boony...just quality.

The next installment.

36.   Pennard
37.   Saunton East
38.   Enniscrone
39.   Burnham & Berrow
40.   Brancaster
41.   Porthcawl
42.   Worplesdon
43.   Princes
44.   Hunstanton
45.   Turnberry
46.   Carnoustie
47.   Castle Course  :o
48.   Beau Desert
49.   Notts
50.   Troon
51.   Lytham
52.   Kington
53.   Carne
54.   Woodhall Spa
55.   West Hill
56.   Edgbaston
57.   Northamptonshire Co
58.   New Zealand
59.   Perranporth
60.   St Andrews New
61.   Southerndown
62.   Saunton West
63.   Addington
64.   Bearwood Lakes

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:50:55 AM by Sean_A »

Jud_T

Re: The Yank's Top 100 GB&I (64-37)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
Sean,

Would Addington rank higher if in tip top shape?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
Sheehy

These rankings do help with objectivity which in return helps to see all courses more clearly.  But you are right, there is little fear of me getting overly bothered about rankings. 

BTW - what holds Kington back is a few more good long holes (likely 4s).  All short courses need examplary long holes stiffen the challenge.

Jud

I would definitely place Addy higher if it were well presented, but I could say that for some other courses such as Huntercombe, New Zealand and Beau Desert. 

Ciao

Ed Tilley

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »
I still can't believe you have Silloth and Machrihanish at 66 & 67! Each to their own though. That said, I think my biggest beef is likely to come when you put RCD at 26 or thereabouts.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
Sean,

I should expect you to be controversial. That's why we're flocking to this thread. It's a good list and the fact that it is put up by you means that we will all take it seriously even if we don't agree with you. You can usually justify your opinions - which we respect.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
Sean,
putting aside all the links I would move up the list, of the inland courses that I have played I'd like to know why you have Bearwood Lakes above Stoneham and Broadstone.
I think Bearwood is one of the better modern courses I've played, but there are quite a few holes that have that manufactured feel about them.
IMO the other 2 have a bit more character and natural feel about them even if they have a couple of stinkers.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »
Sean

First off, I admire your willingness to discuss these courses.  You certainly have a nice breadth of experience in the G,B and I. 

Can you explain the architectural merit of Princes to put it ahead of Turnberry, Carnoustie, etc?

Bart

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
Bart, I am not sure this changes much less answers your question, but just in case:

It is my contention that the courses within each group can basically be interchanged so the actual number next to a course isn't meaningful as such.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »
Sheehy

These rankings do help with objectivity which in return helps to see all courses more clearly.  But you are right, there is little fear of me getting overly bothered about rankings. 

BTW - what holds Kington back is a few more good long holes (likely 4s).  All short courses need examplary long holes stiffen the challenge.

Jud

I would definitely place Addy higher if it were well presented, but I could say that for some other courses such as Huntercombe, New Zealand and Beau Desert. 

Ciao

What did you object to about presentation at New Zealand?   I found it to be just about perfect.   If only.......

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
Ace

I really enjoy the seeming simplicity of New Zealand, but I don't think there is much doubt that it is overly tight....the combo of heather and trees makes for very difficult recoveries..one or the other please.  Do you really think NZ desrves to be top 50 GB&I?  

Bart

I think the bunker placement at Princes is superior to those you mention and Deal.  Plus, there are at least as many very good holes as at Turnberry...just not so pretty.  Finally, there are several holes which bend just enough with wind about to create a difficult test of driving despite too many holes with concave fairways.  Bottom line for me is Princes is seriously under-rated...perhaps because of the neighbourhood.

Don't forget, that within each group I wouldn't have much problem listing the courses in any order.  Its easy to get to caught up in minutiae or give it all too much importance.  One reason I always liked grouping courses is it allows for rater preference.  Using Turnberry, I am fully aware that its beauty will for many trump other issues, but I can't honestly say Turnberry is a superior course to Princes.  To me, the architecture doesn't bear this out...I never liked how the course flows with all its coast holes coming in a bunch.  Do you think Turnberry is a special design, if so, why?

To me, the most interesting designs in the 37-64 grouping are Brancaster, Beau Desert, Kington and Addington.  

Richard

Stoneham has dead flat greens...a big drawback despite its cool routing and handful of very fine holes.  Broadstone to me is deeply flawed. All its best holes come in two spurts...leaving the golfer with an inferior beginning, end and middle stretches.  Its a shame Colt didn't get the entire course on the heath.  I am not completely sold on Bearwood, but it does move well around the property offering good variety and a good set of greens which aren't OTT.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:58:23 PM by Sean_A »

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »
"Don't forget, that within each group I wouldn't have much problem listing the courses in any order."

Sean -

Given that statement, which I think makes a lot of sense, would it not make more sense to give the courses on you list a letter grade (A, B+, C- , etc.) or generally group them tier 1, tier 2, etc.

That way you would not have to account for why you have placed one course at #39 and another course at #41.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back