News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: The Country Club as a potential Olympic site in 2024
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
I never disagreed with the temperature of Boston residents towards the Olympics...it was 50/50 in January when I posted.

I would say the same thing as Dan...I think it would be pretty cool, but not the end of the world if we didn't get it.

And Sean...last time the B's and Wings played who came out on top??  ;)  I'd talk more smack, but the B's have too many injuries this year...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Anthony Butler

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
The Olympics (possibly) coming to Boston and selecting a site for the tournament (assuming golf is still part of the Olympics) are two separate issues aren't they. One a lot more complicated than the other.  

Having attended the Atlanta Olympics and worked on the Sydney Games, I was quite surprised by the lack of gridlock in each city during the Games.. Sydney almost resembled a ghost town on certain days.. and when crowds did assemble they mostly came by public transport and left in an orderly manner. Atlanta's famed traffic jams, which usually hit their peak at the intersection of i75/i85, about a mile or so away from Turner Field, were also mostly absent.. It's almost like the Games scares off anyone who is not a competitor, IOC official, volunteer or amateur boxing aficionado.

Whatever infrastructure was built for these Games seems to have been mostly integrated into the city's facilities... The Braves got a new baseball stadium, so that worked out well for them.. Stadium Australia took over from the SCG and the Football Stadium in Moore Park as the premier venue for big football matches of every code. Boston does not have a professional sports team that needs something the scale of an Olympic Stadium. There has been some talk about downsizing the Olympic Stadium into a permanent home for the Revolution nearer to Boston than their current home at Gillette Stadium. That would be a sensible idea if it can be pulled off. The Revs would need a 40,000 seat stadium max...

The newish Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, on first appearance, seems to be a caricature of the kind of Irish kid who would be throwing bricks through bus windows in Southie. I had the opportunity to speak with him at an event last year, however, and he impressed me as a thoroughly modern guy in tune with the people and ideas of this city.. He wants the Games, but recognizes he also needs the support of the residents to make it happen... it will be interesting to see the politicking around this issue between him and Charlie Baker over the next year before it goes to a vote.. As long as Martha Coakley doesn't come out in support of the Games, it still has a chance of happening in Boston..  ;)

On the matter of tournament venue... Tokyo will probably do a decent job hosting the event at an existing course.. which would probably be a better guide for Boston than what they are doing down in Rio..The 2020 Tokyo site (Kasumigaseki Country Club) is approximately 45 miles from downtown Tokyo, so if that's the radius the IOC is working with, it brings other courses into consideration, but only the TPC Boston has the infrastructure to handle a tournament of this scale. Depending on dates, that would throw the Deutsche Bank tournament scheduling into doubt for that year as well.

The resistance of The Country Club to this scale of event has more to do with the logistics outside the club.. They were fairly happy to host the 2013 Amateur.. But it attracted crowds of no more than 5,000 on any one day, with very little corporate presence.. There is simply nowhere to put the vehicles once you run out of spots at BC and other colleges in the area.. the Putterham Meadows arrangement was a disaster for the club.. so they would need some relief on that front before they stepped up to the plate.

Unlike the Tokyo Games course, which will undergo a renovation and lengthening with Tom Fazio, TCC had some work done to the Championship course prior to the 2013 Amateur, so very little needs to be done to make the venue tournament-ready..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:41:38 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »
So many things have to happen before that becomes an issue....and Ponk was well-mentioned by Mark earlier in this thread.

But THAT would be the story of the 21st century in New England golf.

As an aside, I didn't know they were planning on resurrecting the defunct holes of Course #1, that should be good...#1 was always better than #2 anyhow.  Ponky holds a spot in many hearts for many reasons, but many of us competed in the CYOe Tournament in our junior days...for alot of guys it was the lowest key of junior tournaments so less pressure than a junior am qualifer or NEPGA Jr. tour event....and it was unique that the entry age went up to 21 not 17/18 like all the others.

Anthony Butler

Next!

Mark Steffey

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
Boston's mayor was on a sports radio show this morning and let out that TCC is on board with hosting

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »
2 articles out today saying that The Country Club is the likely site for the 2022 US Open:
http://brookline.wickedlocal.com/article/20150429/NEWS/150426258
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/29/the-country-club-open/E0yVvxBAX3Ep9tvyTlCpXO/story.html#

A formal agreement between the club and the USGA has to be reached by October 31 of this year.

For the sake of this thread, here is an interesting comment in the first link from a member on the club's board of directors with regards to the Olympics:
Selectman Neil Wishinsky asked David Chag, general manager of The Country Club, and Will Fulton, a member of the club’s board of directors, if the club was also in discussions to host the golf event in the 2024 Olympics, which Boston is in the running for. The Boston 2024 bid identified The Country Club as the venue for golf.
Fulton said The Country Club has not had any conversations with the Olympic committee yet, but said the club did receive a call about a year ago asking if they would be interested in hosting the Olympics golf tournament.
“The next thing we know, we’re in the book as the place that will host the golf tournament,” said Fulton.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
"Brookline Town Meeting Thursday night voted to formally oppose Boston 2024’s bid to host the Olympic Games, and urged Brookline’s local and state representatives to actively resist the plans."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/28/brookline-town-meeting-vote-opposing-olympics-bid/EddmEYhmaMBpBMSNvt9q7O/story.html#

The bid itself looks to be unraveling fast:

http://nyti.ms/1HBsQJB
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike_Young

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »
"Brookline Town Meeting Thursday night voted to formally oppose Boston 2024’s bid to host the Olympic Games, and urged Brookline’s local and state representatives to actively resist the plans."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/28/brookline-town-meeting-vote-opposing-olympics-bid/EddmEYhmaMBpBMSNvt9q7O/story.html#

They should.  It makes no sense and golf might not even be ab Olympic sport by then anyway.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Warren

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
Locals against the Olympics?  Surely not... ;)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »

Not surprising.. There's a lot of Brookline residents who don't like the Country Club for reasons that are easy to imagine if you know Boston well... Also no party emerged from the Putterham Meadows (Brookline town-owned golf course) fiasco after the Ryder Cup feeling good about how things ended up.

The Games bid itself does seem to be going through some hiccups as well. They replaced the lead guy (John Fish) with someone from the Celtics.. Larry Lucchino has also got involved.. Perhaps he just wants to get as far away from the fact he put Ben Cherington in the GM position when the Red Sox season goes up in flames....

Hanley Ramirez in left field???  Like Presidents, just because the first guy worked out OK, that's no excuse to put another guy with the same name in the job...  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:19:38 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:28 PM »
Boston2024 bid is dead: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2015/07/27/boston-2024-eulogy/

No need for The Country Club to worry about 2 big tournaments in 3 years.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
I'm really neither for nor against the Boston Olympics, so not fighting either way.  My commute will be destroyed by it if it happens, but whatever.

Mayor Walsh today said that "he was not signing the bid document that puts Boston taxpayers on the hook for Olympic cost overruns"

Fine and good...but according to the bid documents (or so I've heard), the ultimate authority on that decision lies with the Governor of Mass., not the Mayor of Boston.

Also, there are reasons to believe this is a media ploy..."I will fight for you Boston" says Walsh...the Boston residents says "wow they are finally listening to us, Mayor Walsh is our guy"...  Then Boston2024 rolls out the insurance plan on Thursday to save the taxpayer overrun risk in hopes of turning the tide of public perception.  "Look Boston, we did what you asked, aren't we great?  Get on board!!"

There will always be skeptics, so I doubt it will be enough to turn the tide of public opinion.  Interesting moves though...we Massholes love a good political dustup, sometimes just for the sake of debate.

JLahrman

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
I don't much care who plays (pro or am) or where it is (TCC or TPC), but for the love of god, please make it match play.

I don't think it needs to be match play, but I do think it should be a TEAM competition.

I actually would like the format of the old Dunhill Cup event, before it went to a pro-am. Have three (or maybe five) man teams from each country. A round robin format where the five-man teams play individual matches (Dunhill used medal, could be medal or match) and then a team wins the match 5-0, 4-1, or 3-2.

Then the best teams advance to elimination play in the same format. Medals go to countries, not individuals.

I'm also indifferent to pro vs. amateur, and to be honest I don't think golf needs to be in the Olympics at all. But if they're going to have it, let's have a team competition instead of yet another 72-hole stroke play event. Anything but the majors bores me to tears to watch. No reason to reuse the same format.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Nevermind...ESPN reporting the USOC has severed ties...so it's dead as a doornail!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back