News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: Photo Tour - Chambers Bay - US Open Edition - 1st Hole
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I agree with Matthew, simply because I want to be able to easily access this resource as the tournament approaches and gets underway. It'll be much easier to do that with a single thread to search for.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »
Since FOX is broadcasting this year, the local affiliate decided to do a hole by hole tour, too.

Not a huge fan of them playing the holes or how it is only 2 and a half minutes, but it is for the general public, so it will have to do.

If you don't like it, don't watch the ones coming in the following weeks. If you do like it and/or you do find that they add a little something to Richard's superb analysis, they are shown every Sunday. I will try to remember to post the links.

http://q13fox.com/2015/02/15/u-s-open-hole-by-hole-preview-hole-1-chambers-bay-golf-links/

And Gil Hanse's tour:

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/usga/video?vid=453456451892
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:17:36 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Richard Choi

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »
I watched the greens on this hole yesterday very closely.

When USGA lost the course for the stroke play, this was the hole where it was most obvious. Even a well struck shot that landed 20 yards short of the green was running through the green and ended up way in the back 50 yards from the green.

That was certainly not the case yesterday.The ball that landed just short of the green stayed in the front half of the green. More distressingly, I saw a collegiate player hit a ball from about 180 in the rough that landed just below the front right bunker. I said "nice shot" expecting the ball to release gently to the pin in the middle. Amazingly, the ball stayed stuck below the bunker in the fairway. I have NEVER seen this before even during everyday play.

If this course plays this soft, much of what I have discussed above can be ignored.

When playing as a par 5, none of the players carried the rise in the fairway about 350 yards away. When playing as a par 4, players hit some bombs over it. Any thing that landed beyond the rise got about 40 to 60 yard roll. Bubba Watson hit a driver and a 9 iron to reach the green. Not bad for a 500+ yard par 4.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »
Rich,
I haven't had time yet to watch it today.  How are things logistically with the tee box back by the snack shack as a par 5?.  Seems like they'd have to clear out a relatively large area for safety of everyone including those on the practice green and those coming around to the front of the shack.
So far its been totally awesome to watch on the tube, brings back some fond memories of the place.
P.S.  Greens look to be in rough condition compared to a typical PGA event.  Whats been the feedback down in the trenches?

Richard Choi

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
Kalen, the are between the tee and grandstand does not have any standing area so crowd control is no issue.

As to greens... you must not be reading much.

Richard Choi

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
I absolutely LOVE  how the first hole is setup today for the final round.

The tee has been moved up to the sand tees (450 yards), which means most players will have 120 or less to the pin with how the fairways are rolling. In fact, the longest hitters have less than 100 yards to the pin.

However, the pin is located in a precarious spot in the front mere steps away from the severe drop on the left.

I actually believe, it is a much easier approach, if you leave your drive further back in the middle of the fairway where you can use the contour if the front of the green to feed the ball to the pin without much risk.

If you bomb it to the bottom, although you have a lob wedge shot, any fat or tugged shot will end up in the bottom left 60 yards away. The angle is not favorable at all.

It realm reminds me of the third hole at the ANGC the way it is set up. A really fantastic risk/reward hole today.

Richard Choi

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »
BTW, Chris Kirk missed his approach to the left.

It took him five shots to end up on the green as his first four shots were short and came right back to his feet.

He ended up playing even for the rest of his round. Go figure...

Dave McCollum

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
Long after this thread has entered it’s Rip Van Winkle phase, I just like to say how much it enhanced my enjoyment of the US Open.  Thanks, Rich.  I didn’t follow it for the grueling, nearly 5 months, it took to construct.  Instead, I put it in the cellar, among the cobwebs and spiders, and waited in anticipation for the moment my aged attention span could retain the information long enough to use it for a special occasion.  I dug it on Monday of Open week.  Clearly, it was the best TV golf I ever saw, thanks mostly to you (and liberal use of DVR fast forward and mute buttons).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back