News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

The Hideout, Naples
« on: January 06, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
I was talking to an old friend and a good golfer. He was extolling the virtues of the Hideout Club and it sounds like a place that GCA members would find what they are looking for, walking, caddies, carts if needed and a decent breakfast and lunch. A round takes less than four hours and there are no committees or directors.

Has anyone played there?

Bob

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: The Hideout, Naples
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:09:52 PM »
I was talking to an old friend and a good golfer. He was extolling the virtues of the Hideout Club and it sounds like a place that GCA members would find what they are looking for, walking, caddies, carts if needed and a decent breakfast and lunch. A round takes less than four hours and there are no committees or directors.

Has anyone played there?

Bob

I had a great time while visiting The Hideout in 2014.  It is as you describe, with flawless conditions over a fun/fair golf course.  A club that anyone would be lucky to call home.  I can't wait to return this year.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
Bob,   
          I played there last January and it is everything you described. We are headed back to The Hideout in mid February. As you can imagine there are a good number of members from the Chicago area who escape to Naples in the Winter. It has a Carolina feel to it with large waste bunkers and towering pines. The greens are as fast and true as any in Florida. Kelly Blake Moran did the design work and it was completed in 2001. Some athletes belong , most notably Larry Bird. Great place to get away from it all.
                              Wish you well,   jack

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
It's awesome Bob.  I agree with Jack,  it has a Carolina feel. 18 unique holes with lightning fast greens.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Brian Colbert

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
Had the chance to play it in college and it was fantastic. A good challenge but playable for the average golfer. I would recommend to anyone who is in the area.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Uncle Bob,

I will be attending a 3-day ryder cup style bachelor party there in May. I promise a full report with pictures (of the golf only).

Cheers!

Hat Boy

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
Uncle Bob,

I will be attending a 3-day ryder cup style bachelor party there in May. I promise a full report with pictures (of the golf only).

Cheers!

Hat Boy

You don't wear that cap/hat in the clubhouse, do you?   :o

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »
Uncle Bob,

Cheers!

Hat Boy

Jeff,

How nice to know that you are still alive. What on earth have you been up to the last few years?

I am looking forward to your report..

Bob

Kevin_D

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Bob,

I would echo the comments here. Fun course, great culture, terrific club.

Kevin

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »
Bob,
Jeff is alive and well and still with his hat:

He is also using all techniques to garner an extra stroke or two, not that he needs them:

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »

Good God, he looks like a jiadist.

Bob

Joe Perches

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »
Good God, he looks like a jiadist.

Gee-Hatist

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:06:50 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for that.

Bob

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
I played there a couple of years ago with a couple of the club's founders (not Larry Legend, unfortunately). I agree with everything that's been said, though I found the front nine to be Florida with minor elevation changes, and the back nine to be much more of a Carolinas feel. It's off the beaten path (hence the name) but worth the visit.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
Bob - Played there a few years back and it's truly a blast. Fun, fair, well-maintained and plenty interesting course. Would go back in a heartbeat.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
Bob,

I played there about 5 years ago while working in Naples.  I have very fond memories of the course and it is as described.  It is a fun golf course that instead of being manufactured boringness is a chess game of angles and bunkers.  A great match play course and can easily be walked and played in less than 4 hours.

Im back working in Naples this year and hope to get out there soon for a repeat visit.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

tomgoutman

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
I have been a member at Hideout for two years. I'm from Philly and belong to Torresdale, Moselem and French Creek. Hideout is wonderful. The course (designed by Kelly Blake Moran) is fair, interesting (no two holes look anything alike--unusual for Florida) and is a golfers' paradise for members, with no tee times and sign up "dog fights" four days of the week (where you are paired randomly with another member in better ball of twosome competition). The members love golf and know how to play. The staff can't be more friendly. They have recently adopted more restrictive policies for unaccompanied play (the colder it is up north, the busier it gets in Naples). Play it if you can.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
Yo LLama,
Nice lineup of phiily courses. Next time you see mo kent down there tell him I said hello. We were on the board of the local Y together, nice guy.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Gary Sato

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
I continue to get The Hideout and Hole in the Wall mixed up. 

Hole in the Wall has only 250 members and was home to Gene Sarazan.  Can anyone compare?

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
Bob,

I played there about 5 years ago while working in Naples.  I have very fond memories of the course and it is as described.  It is a fun golf course that instead of being manufactured boringness is a chess game of angles and bunkers.  A great match play course and can easily be walked and played in less than 4 hours.

Im back working in Naples this year and hope to get out there soon for a repeat visit.

Echoing these and others compliments to a great course. It's an excellent example of maximizing a benign flat piece of property with interesting architecture on every hole done by GCA's own Kelly Blake Moran.

It is a great match-play course to beat sir JC Jones on.  ;)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

J_ Crisham

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
Played Hideout again last Sunday - greens were running about 13- course was firm and fast. It has a Carolina feel to it - the waste areas and pines are a pretty compliment. The clubhouse and practice area is all it needs to be. One of the top 4 IMO in SW  Florida alongside Calusa, Nsples National, and Old Collier.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
Bob,

Echoing these and others compliments to a great course. It's an excellent example of maximizing a benign flat piece of property with interesting architecture on every hole done by GCA's own Kelly Blake Moran.

Keep dreaming, youngin
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
Played Hideout again last Sunday - greens were running about 13- course was firm and fast. It has a Carolina feel to it - the waste areas and pines are a pretty compliment. The clubhouse and practice area is all it needs to be. One of the top 4 IMO in SW  Florida alongside Calusa, Nsples National, and Old Collier.

Jack, to echo Gary's question... how about Hole-in-the-Wall?  Have you (or anyone else) played it?  How does it compare to Hideout?  Seems to be the elder statesmen of Naples golf, and understand there was some work done there recently.  i'm curious to play both of these one day.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »

Jack, to echo Gary's question... how about Hole-in-the-Wall?  Have you (or anyone else) played it?  How does it compare to Hideout?  Seems to be the elder statesmen of Naples golf, and understand there was some work done there recently.  i'm curious to play both of these one day.
Wayne, I have yet to visit Hole - in The Wall. My friends in Naples consider it good but not at the level of the 4 I mentioned. A majority of the golf in SW Florida I describe as adequate - Doak 4-5. The 4 courses I mentioned range IMO  from 6-9.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »

Keep dreaming, youngin

I'm sorry did you forget? https://twitter.com/patrickh/status/7533330749

More thoughts on the course in here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42796.msg919524/topicseen.html#msg919524
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back