News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Chileno Bay Club - Los Cabos
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
I hate it when I have to agree with GT..but here I go again.
My thoghts on 8 were the same, not enough difference between a long iron and driver, unless you can bom it.
Loved the green complx though, the weakest of the short 4 pars in my opinion.
Love the idea where to put the tee on 18, but I already knew that because we talked about it whilst playing, but go to blow the green up first ;)

Adam_Messix

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
No one would describe me as a bomber and I drove it to the upslope of the green on 8 with a bit of a U-turn!!!!!  This could turn this into a major discussion of short par 4s because a well regarded hole on a famous course popped into my head immediately when MWP commented about the lack of difference between long iron and driver, but this is not the place for that.  I really liked the pitch and the discrepancy didn't bother me as much as it did with you.

Agree with you on #4, it's an excellent hole.  I especially liked the look of the green from the fairway.

Interesting thought regarding 18 and you're correct that 410 is about the max yardage for a tee close to 17.  That would be an interesting tee shot over there, but it would make for a reasonably long trek between holes.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 05:56:48 PM »
No one would describe me as a bomber and I drove it to the upslope of the green on 8 with a bit of a U-turn!!!!!  This could turn this into a major discussion of short par 4s because a well regarded hole on a famous course popped into my head immediately when MWP commented about the lack of difference between long iron and driver, but this is not the place for that.  I really liked the pitch and the discrepancy didn't bother me as much as it did with you. I have no problem with the pitch either, it is an exacting one and fun to play but I question a hole where it is almost a foregone conclusion what the second shot will be whether you hit driver, 3 wood, hybrid or even an iron or if you pull it 15 yards or push it 15... ball funnels to a pretty small area and I cannot see a how a tee shot could reach the green and stop on the surface. I suppose one could argue that the better tee shot is played just short of the right bunker flirting with it and the native to the right.

Agree with you on #4, it's an excellent hole.  I especially liked the look of the green from the fairway. Love it, believe it is in the 425 range???  but plays a bit longer

Interesting thought regarding 18 and you're correct that 410 is about the max yardage for a tee close to 17. I think there was also an opportunity to have a wonderful 385-405 yard closer... but 500 was the choice???!!!

That would be an interesting tee shot over there, but it would make for a reasonably long trek between holes. Not sure anyone going to be walking the course anyway so the relocated tee is more about expense (walking bridge) than anything. Do believe it would improve the hole.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »
Will study the 8th and 18th in more detail again maņana as I visit with another GCAer, Mr. Lapper. Tough day in Cabo, morning 18 on Ocean Course with an afternoon study session at Chileno Bay.

Another one I will throw out for discussion among those that I have played is the shortish 10th, under 400 yards, up hill second to a looooooong  (150 feet+ ?) narrow green angled from 8 to 2 from the center of the fairway. Have heard a couple of negative comments about the hole but I really, really like it. 10, 11, 12 are just good fun... then 13 smacks you in the mouth.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
Bah humbug..number 10 is great ;)
There issue closed.

With all this positive talk, is Russ ready for you to post some pictures yet?

Greg 9 days and counting mate
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:55:02 PM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
Bah humbug..number 10 is great ;)
There issue closed.

With all this positive talk, is Russ ready for you to post some pictures yet?

Greg 9 days and counting mate

Ummm, it's Ross and I don't think so... will take camera just in case.

Enjoy the trip, should be memorable.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
Another bite at the apple revealed the same taste as far as the 8th hole goes.

Some interesting and fun aspects to the hole but, at the end of the day, it is not a very good hole overall. Swing and a miss in terms of a 300 yard par 4. I assume the esteemed Mr. Lapper will chime in once he has concluded the family vacation from which he took a brief respite to spend the day playing 36 holes with me. A truly enjoyable day, CDS Ocean in the morning and Chileno in the afternoon... it's tough trying to be the world's most hospitable host.  ;)

D6 and a few bottles of tequila still the best remedy for the 18th at Chileno. Played it from 410 tee discussed earlier in this topic... better but still just not a good hole. Quite a bummer of a finish to a wonderful golf course.

Not Toppesque aces to speak of but Seņor Lapper did author a rather nice 2 on the ultra cool 17th at Chileno. BTW, MWP I had to hit 6 iron to that green yesterday... into a 20ish MPH wind... #uncomfortable.

I'll post a few photos of Chileno shortly.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »
the only way that 18 green could be acceptable is if you were playing it from the other direction ???

Frank Kim

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing Chileno Bay yesterday.  What a great course.  Greg and Michael have previously described the course nicely.  The bunkering is different than any Fazio's I have played before.  I really liked them.  Great set of par 5s.  World class one in #12.  Not a bad one on the front either I believe # 6.The course has views of the ocean on every hole but never comes close to the ocean like Cabo del Sol.  But it's not the views that makes this course great.  It's the routing and design.  If you took away the ocean views it still would be one of the best courses let's say in Scottsdale or Palm Springs.  I've been vacationing in Cabo for almost every year for 12 years now.  I love the golf here.  Cabo del Sol, Diamante, Chileno Bay - hard to beat.

Greg Holland

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »
Does anyone know who the design associate working on this course for Fazio was?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
Does anyone know who the design associate working on this course for Fazio was?

Tim Jackson was one and the other name escapes me.

It was Tim and Dennis Wise.

Jackson Kahn website lists Tim, Dennis, David and Scott Hoffman as design participants
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:30:20 PM by Greg Tallman »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »
The opening hole at Chileno Bay

Frank Kim

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
Really cool opening hole.  First glimpse at the bunkering on the right side of the fairway.   The hole kind of eases you into the round. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
OT for Greg, go WV, beat Kentucky! :o

Wow your guys suck.  :P

I guess the Irish will have to end the winning streak.  8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:15:53 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

rjsimper

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
Just had to revive an old thread rather than jump into the "Cabo Golf" threads with other courses...since I only played Chileno Bay...but wow what a place. Aside from being an all-time top overall experience, the course was easily the best and most enjoyable Fazio design I've played.

He finally managed to do pretty AND fun. So many cool slopes and features that just work...angles, cool greens, etc. The 12th is unquestionably one of my favorite par 5s anywhere. 3 is an excellent reverse redan (albeit a bit short), and the approach into the 10th is disorientingly cool. I can understand the criticism of the first driveable par 4 (7?), but I think 11 is a good one.   

And all of this managed with grabby grass around the greens - maybe not quite kikuyu grabby, but not a firm fescue type bounce. Still, the bump and run game was alive and well with the various backboards, sideboards, etc.

If you can play it, you should. I had only planned to play once but eagerly signed up for a second go-around. Would love to see more work like this from the Fazio group. 

(And a friendlier and more attentive staff you will not encounter...)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »
Just had to revive an old thread rather than jump into the "Cabo Golf" threads with other courses...since I only played Chileno Bay...but wow what a place. Aside from being an all-time top overall experience, the course was easily the best and most enjoyable Fazio design I've played.

He finally managed to do pretty AND fun. So many cool slopes and features that just work...angles, cool greens, etc. The 12th is unquestionably one of my favorite par 5s anywhere. 3 is an excellent reverse redan (albeit a bit short), and the approach into the 10th is disorientingly cool. I can understand the criticism of the first driveable par 4 (7?), but I think 11 is a good one.   

And all of this managed with grabby grass around the greens - maybe not quite kikuyu grabby, but not a firm fescue type bounce. Still, the bump and run game was alive and well with the various backboards, sideboards, etc.

If you can play it, you should. I had only planned to play once but eagerly signed up for a second go-around. Would love to see more work like this from the Fazio group. 

(And a friendlier and more attentive staff you will not encounter...)

Would be interested if you happened to get any photos of the 18th holes as I know they have made considerable changes that may mirror what MWP and I had mentioned years ago. It is my understanding the tees were moved right, central bunker and tree removed and green dropped down near the natural wash area. Interested to see if that is the case and how it looks. Not exactly a drive up and have a look kind of place these days.

rjsimper

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
Greg,
Here's probably the best photo I have of 18.

Do you have any photos of what the hole looked like before? No central bunker...the green was kind of benched into the hillside and plays quick from front right to back left.

Would love to see any of your other old photos...the picture of 1 in this thread, it's amazing how much money has gone into landscaping since then.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back