News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Ben Doyle
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »
 I heard today that Ben Doyle, a good friend and a very gentle man passed away on the fifteenth of this month in San Francisco.

I took many a lesson from Ben but could never understand the written word in the book , "The Golf Machine". He did pay me a complement by including me in his photographic album of " The Best of Lag"  but it was only because I was on my way home from the office wearing a suit with collar and tie. His pleasure with a pupil striking a ball to his satisfaction was "That's a Keeper'.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:12:51 PM by Bob_Huntley »

David_Tepper

Re: Ben Doyle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
Can you have too much lag? His answer I believe was "can you have too much love".

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
I only met Ben once, about half a dozen years ago, but he made an impression on me. I booked a one-hour lesson with him at Quail Lodge; against my protestations he wound up giving me the entire morning, and insisted on buying me lunch afterward. He showed up with his wonderful golf cart full of gadgets and gizmos. Ben spoke very quietly, often in a mumble. He told me that he'd cursed and had his mouth washed out with soap when he was a boy and that that had affected him greatly. But I also think it was his way of getting you to lean in and pay attention. Ben had a gentle spirit and, from what I could tell, he really loved teaching to an uncommon degree. He videotaped part of our lesson--I'll have to go back and watch that some time. Ben was definitely a unique character. I'll miss him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back