News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

100 Years Ago - Another "First" In The World Of Golf?
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:30:05 PM »
Potentially the earliest program of its kind in the USA.

Also, Tom Bendelow was involved in a similar program but I cannot remember if it was before this one. I sent the TB article to Sven, maybe he can post it here.    

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

Re: 100 Years Ago - Another "First" In The World Of Golf?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
Jim:

This was right around the same time Bendelow was teaching at UofI.  Not sure if the program started before he became involved, but my guess is not.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
Hmmm....thus dismantling the story that RTJ was the first to formally study GCA at the university level?

"There is nothing new under the sun......."  (in golf anyway) ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I sent you the article about Bendelow's teaching - do you still have it, and if so, can you post it?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
Let me track it down.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
"Hmmm....thus dismantling the story that RTJ was the first to formally study GCA at the university level?"

David Stamm -

I am pretty sure there was not a formal program of GCA study at Cornell when Robert Trent Jones was there. Nor is there one now.

My understanding is RTJ made up his own program of study from the various existing courses offered by the schools of agriculture, architecture and engineering.

Tom Doak will correct me if I am mistaken.

DT  

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »
Sven,
I happened across the Bendelow article and it was dated 1922, although it does say that ha taught the series of lessons at U of IL "for years".

SBendelow

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
In the University of Illinois, Annual Register for 1913-1914, Thomas Bendelow is listed as having lectured to the Horticulture Department on "Golf Courses" on December 12, 1913.  The American Golfer in November 1914, reports that Tom Bendelow has been giving a series of lectures to the U of I Agronomy Class on golf course construction. Golfers' Magazine, January 1914, contains a fuller description to Bendelow's activities at the U of I and the intention of the university to add "golf course construction" to the Horticulture Department's curriculum.  I have not come across any earlier report of golf course architecture being introduced into an educational curriculum.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
In the University of Illinois, Annual Register for 1913-1914, Thomas Bendelow is listed as having lectured to the Horticulture Department on "Golf Courses" on December 12, 1913.  The American Golfer in November 1914, reports that Tom Bendelow has been giving a series of lectures to the U of I Agronomy Class on golf course construction. Golfers' Magazine, January 1914, contains a fuller description to Bendelow's activities at the U of I and the intention of the university to add "golf course construction" to the Horticulture Department's curriculum.  I have not come across any earlier report of golf course architecture being introduced into an educational curriculum.

Stuart,
I'd like to read the Golfer's Magazine article. Do you have a link?

I noticed that one of TB's courses, Wing Park (the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in the State of Illinois), is on the National Registry Of Historic Places (2009).

Of course, that info is probably in your book (which I should get).    ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:44:13 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
Jim:

Here's a March 1916 Golfers Magazine piece discussing Bendelow starting to teach at UofI.

Interestingly enough, it appeared in the same issue as an Ad announcing his departure from Spalding.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
This comes from the American Society of Landscape Architects and is dated 1922. U of Il's landscping program seems to have started around 1905.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
Jim:

Pretty sure this is the article you were referring to, which dates from a few years after the notices posted above (Chicago Evening American - March 4, 1922).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back