News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Cutten

Re: Design by computer or paper?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
Ian and Tim,

Great references to two classic artists.  I have had a seasons membership with the AGO in the past and think your line of thought is spot on.  I wholly agree that, like in art or architecture, a design will undoubtedly evolve throughout the process.  Plans are a way to get ideas out of the mind and allow the artist to sort through varying alternatives.  Technology has made this easier for some and more complicated for others.  Like any medium, once mastered the ability to use it creatively becomes more fluid.  Golf architects who are against technology are likely to be more skilled with drawing techniques and vise versa.  In the end, one’s preference will be toward that which improves their design process most.         

Ally,

I did not intend my response to continue the promoting of those that “get it”.  However, having worked in both the design/build and contractor/tender worlds, I am biased towards the previous.  Instead, I intended my response to illustrate the ease by which technology has enabled the conveyance of ideas.  While I do not believe paper is dead (as argued in the YouTube video), I do believe that computer technology (before and after renderings or 3D models) are an amazing way to convey intent.  Further, the ability to change one’s design or work through multiple options is much easier when the technology is understood and utilized effectively.

Finally, I do see the benefit of “holding ones cards close to ones chest”, as it were, when it comes to making detailed plans.  The more detailed plans become before dirt is moved the less freedom the architect has when work in the field begins.  I see the plan as a critical component to the design process and evolution one's thoughts, but not the process itself.   
"Excellence of design is more felt than fully realized." - Alister MacKenzie - The Spirit of St. Andrews

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Design by computer or paper?
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 04:48:02 AM »
Ian and Tim,

Great references to two classic artists.  I have had a seasons membership with the AGO in the past and think your line of thought is spot on.  I wholly agree that, like in art or architecture, a design will undoubtedly evolve throughout the process.  Plans are a way to get ideas out of the mind and allow the artist to sort through varying alternatives.  Technology has made this easier for some and more complicated for others.  Like any medium, once mastered the ability to use it creatively becomes more fluid.  Golf architects who are against technology are likely to be more skilled with drawing techniques and vise versa.  In the end, one’s preference will be toward that which improves their design process most.         

Ally,

I did not intend my response to continue the promoting of those that “get it”.  However, having worked in both the design/build and contractor/tender worlds, I am biased towards the previous.  Instead, I intended my response to illustrate the ease by which technology has enabled the conveyance of ideas.  While I do not believe paper is dead (as argued in the YouTube video), I do believe that computer technology (before and after renderings or 3D models) are an amazing way to convey intent.  Further, the ability to change one’s design or work through multiple options is much easier when the technology is understood and utilized effectively.

Finally, I do see the benefit of “holding ones cards close to ones chest”, as it were, when it comes to making detailed plans.  The more detailed plans become before dirt is moved the less freedom the architect has when work in the field begins.  I see the plan as a critical component to the design process and evolution one's thoughts, but not the process itself.   

Thanks Keith. I agree with all you say above. And despite actually believing in the same methodology that most advocate on this thread in relation to field work, I find myself sticking up for the traditional contractor / tender method if only to provide some balance. For it's not as black and white as observers are led to believe and then repeat as if it is.

Regards using software over pencil, yes - in almost all presentation and calcs and showing intent, it is superior. I just don't think you have the same freedom in drawing contour lines as you do free-hand. So it was interesting to hear Ian and Frank say they found it easier.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back