News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Country Club donated to city!
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »
http://www.whio.com/news/news/country-club-could-be-donated-to-city/njTNY/

This was an old Jewish club back in the day. A local business man saved it. The clubhouse burnt in the 90's and it was grossly over built. They were saddled with massive debt. The course is ok. Some very tight holes and the finisher is just goofy.

noonan

Re: Country Club donated to city!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
http://www.daytonmeadowbrook.com/about-us.htm

Architect - Nipper Campbell - also designed Moraine CC

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:52 PM »
Jerry

When was the club sold? Are there any records left of the club's history?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:25 AM »
Be careful what you wish for.  Clearly the present owner could not make the place go even though he bought it for just $2 million ... he has probably lost another million or two trying to turn it around. 

If somebody else would buy it for $50 he wouldn't be donating it [unless of course his accountants have figured out that donating to the city will give him a $2 million tax write-off] ... so he is just trying to cut his losses by giving it away.

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" or something like that.  Sorry to be pessimistic; it would be great if they can turn it into a worthwhile public facility.  But they need just the right person to run that operation.

noonan

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »
I think the present owner too over in 2005.

The are many problems here. Borderline bad neighborhood, poor service, huge clubhouse, property taxes in this county choking out business.

Moss Creek up the road 4 miles is back under bank ownership. With no clubhouse.

I doubt if public it could cash flow. But the city manager is a member - the vote tonight will be to take it over. He will not want to lose his course.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
sounds like an affordable housing project to me
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »
You don't hear all toomuch about Meadowbrook. I will play it this coming spring along with Moraine and Dayton CC.
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back